Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Sporting stars as "brands"

Is it just me that's getting more and more irritated by this (is it just me becoming and grumpy old man?) (becoming??)

Anyway, I find myself getting increasingly annoyed seeing sportstars with their own registered "logos" (usually some poncey graphic designer stylisation of their initials). Federer and Woods seem to be among the first I remember (but there may be others) and as for Lewis Hamilton  :twisted:

I know it has always been thus since the advent of professional sports and big sponsors etc, but I find this sort of "self-aggrandizement" particularly seems to be de-rigeur these days, for individual sports men/women especially.

Am I in a minority here, am I really just a GOM or a dinosaur?

Dinna get me started on DJ Hamilton.....

The thing you have to remember is that for every sports star who has decided to go down the 'brand' route there are a hundred more who don't give it a second thought.  That's the way I see it anyway.

Must admit I am quite fond of my 'Alan Tate for men' aftershave.  The women love it.  :wave:

I mind kids talking about wearing "DM's" when I was aloon, was this no something to do with the Dazzler?

I had one pair of DM beets in the 70's but forty years later, got my second pair of Docs.

They were a standard pair of black shoes which I got earlier this year but I've since added to them with a pair of green (khaki) Docs crossed with Engineered Garments and last month, got this navy pair of the same.

navy%20doc%20eg.jpg