Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Straw/Camels Back

And Lee Miller hasn't? I don't understand why it is ok for Lee Miller not to score, nor threaten to score, but if Lovell has a game where he doesn't score he's dropped straight away?

Easy, I wasn't talking about Lee Miller.  ;)

I think we'd all agree that Miller has shown what he's capable of this season, and that until recent weeks we couldn't fault his effort.  Whenever Lovell plays he skulks around and just doesn't put the effort in.  Primadonna springs to mind.  The first thing any professional should be doing on the pitch is giving 100% effort, we'd be lucky if we see a tenth of Lovell's effort when he plays.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's had his chances.  Numerous chances

Not this season he hasn't.  I'm not even sure if he's played a full 90 minutes.

Whilst at the risk of repeating myself, take a look at this:

As I said a couple of weeks ago, Miller can go 10 games without scoring (like he now has) and be untouchable in the minds of some.  Why is this?  What has he done to merit his hero status?  I compared his goals/games ratio with that of Steve Lovell since they both signed for Aberdeen and it is like night and day

Miller has 1 goal in his last 8 games, 8 goals this season froom 29 games, 12 goals from 52 starts (plus 9 as sub) since signing.

Lovell has 3 from his last 5 (only 2 starts?), and as such only 3 from 5 starts this season, 21 goals from 45 starts (plus 31 as sub) since signing.

Call me old fashioned, but a centre forward's job is to score goals.  Lovell is better at this and given the chance, he will do it, and better and more frequently than Lee Miller.  For all Miller's lack of pace and ability to look like he's towing a caravan for 90 minutes, he would be a far more complete player if he could sort out his extremely poor positional awareness.  If he could sort that part of his game out, he'd score much more goals and would probably find that his doubters would warm much more to him.

Don't get me wrong, I think Lee Miller is a cracking footballer, but I think the wool has been pulled over people's eyes when it comes to his goalscoring ability (or lack of) in the SPL.

Easy, I wasn't talking about Lee Miller.  ;)

I think we'd all agree that Miller has shown what he's capable of this season, and that until recent weeks we couldn't fault his effort.  Whenever Lovell plays he skulks around and just doesn't put the effort in.  Primadonna springs to mind.  The first thing any professional should be doing on the pitch is giving 100% effort, we'd be lucky if we see a tenth of Lovell's effort when he plays.

Perhaps, just perhaps, we could ATTEMPT to play to Lovell's strengths instead of whacking the ball up to him at throat height. Just a suggestion.

Perhaps, just perhaps, we could ATTEMPT to play to Lovell's strengths instead of whacking the ball up to him at throat height. Just a suggestion.

I agree, but you're telling the wrong person. I still think that Lovell could at least give us 100% every game, regardless of how we're playing.  If he at least showed a little bit of passion and fight for the cause, I'd be more inclined to wish he does get a start but he rarely shows it.

Surely the players on the pitch know Lovell's strengths, so why do they continue to play the long ball?

I agree, but you're telling the wrong person. I still think that Lovell could at least give us 100% every game, regardless of how we're playing.  If he at least showed a little bit of passion and fight for the cause, I'd be more inclined to wish he does get a start but he rarely shows it.

Surely the players on the pitch know Lovell's strengths, so why do they continue to play the long ball?

I have no idea, you're asking the wrong person.

What exactly are his strengths?  He's missed a fair amount of sitters this season, some of which had it been Mackie, he would have been hung, drawn and quartered by large sections of our support.

What exactly are his strengths?  He's missed a fair amount of sitters this season, some of which had it been Mackie, he would have been hung, drawn and quartered by large sections of our support.

This goes back to my point, he's had his chance.  Get rid of him and move on.

The bare minimum that any football fan should expect from their players is 100% effort and commitment, and I feel we don't get this from Lovell.

I was in my work's canteen today and I'm not wearing a tall white hat or striped apron as far as I can see.

'The lad' on Redtv who said those words was one of the commentators on last night's game.  Maybe he is a chef during the day, but who gives a fuck?

As he's an employee of AFC I find it difficult to believe he made that story up.

Dude on Redtv last night said he couldn't believe Lovell walked into the canteen at Pittodrie round lunchtime.  Said "what you doing here?" and he replied with "the manager dropped me".

Says alot when a manager would rather have a powder puff "striker" (maguire) on the bench rather than an experience striker.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but on Northsound 2 today a guy emailed in saying last night was so bad he has cancelled his season ticket and walking back to his bus/car last night from the game he handed his Bayern Munich ticket to some random lad, if that is true i think that says alot, no way would i do that but football effects others in different ways.

David Ridd or Dave McDiarmid I'm guessing. It's ridiculous this Jimmy v Lovell thing that's going on, there must be something in it. If it's that he's a quieter lad than the rest of them then it's fucking ridiculous.

Yes, IF that's what it is.

Everyone seems very happy to have a pop at Calderwood over this despite not knowing what happened between the 2 of them.