Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

League Reconstruction

The negative of allowing all teams to receive the same payout regardless of position, is that what is there to play for. Sure winning the league or finishing as high up the table as possible is any clubs goal, but what about mid-table clubs who dont have a European place to play for or relegation to fight for. The cash incentive gives sides something to play for. It creates competition, even if it isnt purely for sporting reasons.

Whether we like it or not, to the clubs, the sporting side of football is lesser important than the cash. As a football fan it should be all about the football, but clubs need the cash to survive. Yes they should be able to budget within each individuals means, but even then a gap will emerge.  Would i like to see us set a precedent? of course!! would i like to see all clubs receive even TV money, sponsorship money and league money, again of course, but no club is going to vote for that and the SPFL are incapable of implementing anything of use to the leagues. In a world where money talks in football, I sadly cant see Scottish football changing its ways.

The negative of allowing all teams to receive the same payout regardless of position, is that what is there to play for. Sure winning the league or finishing as high up the table as possible is any clubs goal, but what about mid-table clubs who dont have a European place to play for or relegation to fight for. The cash incentive gives sides something to play for. It creates competition, even if it isnt purely for sporting reasons.

Whether we like it or not, to the clubs, the sporting side of football is lesser important than the cash. As a football fan it should be all about the football, but clubs need the cash to survive. Yes they should be able to budget within each individuals means, but even then a gap will emerge.  Would i like to see us set a precedent? of course!! would i like to see all clubs receive even TV money, sponsorship money and league money, again of course, but no club is going to vote for that and the SPFL are incapable of implementing anything of use to the leagues. In a world where money talks in football, I sadly cant see Scottish football changing its ways.

I don't believe there is a player in our game that gives a shite whether their team makes £100K more for finishing an extra place higher in the league. They want to win because that's what the game is about. Same as I do when I play at sports village or goals. I'm not preventing the issue of win bonuses either, which they may give a crap about because it directly affects them. The "cash for places" is only ever brought out after a team doesn't get the money. For example, the dons missed out on 250K last season by finishing third, but I can guarantee that no player in that team (nor McInnes I expect) gave a shite about the cash - they wanted to finish second.

Money talks, perhaps, but there is only one team that would be significantly financially affected by sharing the wealth amongst the other teams - the Tims. If we split the £20M the tims made in prize money alone the season before last (don't have recent seasons figures, but expect it'd be in the teens(£millions)) and split it evenly amongst the teams in the division along with the existing SPFL prize funds, then every other team would be better off from day one and it would instantly make the league stronger. So I'm not convinced it's a case of money talks, more a case of fear of change/risk and a happy as we are mentality. 

They will care if their employer cares ie that extra £100k for finishing 8th instead of 9th means the club doesnt have to slash the playing squad or wage bill the following season or even allows them to actually get a win bonus once in a while

The prize money from the SPL is irrelevant to the likes of celtic as they make their money from sponsorship, Champions league football, and of course having a large gullible fanbase (both loyal and gloryhunting) who like to throw cash across the celtic shop tills.

If there is no incentive to finish as high as you can other than 'ho look as us we're better than you' this year then I hate to think how many meaningless games there would be and how much worse the quality could get.

For every player who gives his all just for the love of the game and to hell with the money there are 2 or 3 Bobo Baldes (9 years at £30k a week but only played 161 games and happily sat on the bench for 3-4 of those years doing nothing)

I don't think there's much point debating a straight share of prize money. It might be the best idea in the world, but there's no way in hell that it'd be adopted by the clubs and the people who vote on these matters. That won't matter if it's an 11/1 majority needed or a 7/5, there'll always be enough clubs who feel that making more than a straight pool share is worthwhile.

There are a number of issues that need remedied as a matter of urgency.

We need to stop bickering about how the league actually divides up, how many teams there are, the split, the playoffs, etc. The layout of the leagues. Every single year this comes up, and it's hardly to the benefit of the game. Were our glorious league leaders to take some responsibility here, then we'd be far more likely to win sponsorship and attract interest from outside Scotland. We've got the most competitive league in years, some good football, 10 different cup winners in seven years, and a national team that's slowly but surely finding their feet. When do you ever hear a story about Scottish football on UK-wide broadcast? When there's some bungle or mistake or crisis. We need to change the record there, and get people talking positively.

The "product" has improved markedly in the last five or six years. The governance is worse than the Highland League. To move forward with any kind of vision, that's got to change first.

• 7 months later...

Doncaster saying a 14 team league for next season.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/14-team-premiership-could-be-brought-in-for-2016-17-1-3970519

This set up would probably finish me with Scottish Football. Looks like a safety net for the tribute act and nothing else.

Doncaster really is not fit for purpose.

The Motherwell chairman got it spot on the other day when he said the SPFL have better communication with the TV companies and sponsors than they do the clubs.

That's all Doncaster is interested in, keeping sky, bt and ladbrokes happy. The clubs are secondary and I doubt the fans are even an after thought with him.

Any league set up proposed will always have four old firm games in it. It's fucking ridiculous.

That said, I'd probably accept the 14-team plan he proposes ONLY because it's marginally better than the current set-up, with the top 6 split routinely turning into a mess.

However, I've never been a fan of any split because it doesn't encourage teams to be brave and try out youngsters. People say an 18-team league means a lot of meaningless games. I say it gives some clubs an opportunity to spend 2/3 years building an exciting team that can then go and do something up at the top end, which in turn will help the national team.

Besides, weren't Dortmund in a relegation fight last season, and recovered to make the Europa League. Had Germany adopted a league split, they'd have been denied the chance, so don't tell me a split is essential to keeping the league interesting.

However, I've never been a fan of any split because it doesn't encourage teams to be brave and try out youngsters. People say an 18-team league means a lot of meaningless games. I say it gives some clubs an opportunity to spend 2/3 years building an exciting team that can then go and do something up at the top end, which in turn will help the national team.

I pretty much agree with the rest of your post but I think the bit above is maybe a bit pie in the sky thinking.  There would be a lot of dead rubbers from an early part in the season, so will fans go and watch all of their team's meaningless matches? Very doubtful. Clubs are as likely to rest on their laurels than they are to take the initiative - the cheaper option will be the favoured option, particularly if crowds are down.  We could end up with a lot of clubs floating in no man's land for seasons on end.

And the national team? It's a fair assumption that Strachan (or his replacement) would all of a sudden take an interest in the domestic league.  I would also say it is not Aberdeen FC's responsibility to produce players for Scotland, which is why we have a few non Scots in the u20s.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

League cup final apparently moving back to November next season

Could throw up a future pub quiz dispute for the question 'Who won the 2016 Scottish League cup?'

Another sign of the reactionists that run this game.  Wasn't it just yesterday that the English FA announced something similar for all cup games?

In this instance I do agree with the moving of the final though ;)