Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

What are you listening to?

Kowalski

Probably one of Scotland's most under rated bands.

They really should have had far greater longevity and success than they did.

What a great trip down memory lane.

Still have this album on vinyl and reckon it might possibly be worth a few quid now 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Familiar with the Houndmouth track and like it. The other artist I don't know but will.give it a listen 👍

Currently listening to The Best Of Grace Jones. Her version of La Vie En Rose is one of my favourite tracks ever. Possibility that yhe curtain may come down on my life to that track.

It is currently on a short list with six others 

Level 42 were and probably still are my first musical love.  A bit similar to me they were like Marmite.  You either get us or don't which I've learned over the years is the way to be in life.

The sixty second instrumental from 3.30 on this absolute classic is utterly immense and does stand the test of time being 36 years old.

I'm hoping to announce very soon a wee thirty minute drum track we've been discussing and working on with original Level 42 drummer Phil Gould.  I don't expect folk to dig it but I guess that is OK.  Not everybody shall need to understand this project.

• Like 1

ElginDon, I had Phil on my radio show in 2010.  Still have the raw version without song selections from Phil which we can listen to any time we want although sound quality is pretty iffy. 

I also bought his brother Boon's Reno Yellow Les Paul Hoyer guitar in a 2001 month long internet auction and went on to have a two and a bit year email relationship with Boon before he basically disappeared from being online.

Level 42 were never the same after Boon and Phil left in 1987 just as Running In Family album was about to be released.  Phil has stated his main reason for leaving was because he felt like the band sold their souls to the devil after World Machine material because record company wanted more commercial success which meant they had to go down a road musically Phil wasn't happy with. 

Boon didn't like the stardom and constant exhaustion from touring and told me a story about how the guitar I bought off him for £250 got damaged after trying to escape female attention through a side door at a Reading venue as he dropped it on the stairs outside.  

Absolutely gutted me when Boon committed suicide aged 64 April 2019.  Hung himself in a friend's bedroom wardrobe.   Still have all my emails written by Boon between 2001-03.  Boon's two solo albums 'Tinman' (1995) and 'Love Kills Overtime' (2000) as Zen Gangsters are absolutely brilliant and probably up there in my 'Top Ten Albums' of all time.  Boon has always been my hero.

Phil released his third solo album 'Beautiful Wounds' late 2021.  Again for a classy musician in his middle sixties he has still got an ear for quality music. 

Boon's last bit of original instrumental guitar playing is in the "Russian Submariner" track on 'Beautiful Wounds' collection.  Apparently Boon wasn't happy that Phil had secretly recorded him without his permission when they were jamming in a studio.  Attached link below!

As for my project with Phil.  All I'll say is we put an idea to him regarding my cartoon wrestling videos hobby and he has come up with a thirty minute drum piece nothing else instrument wise where he did around ten hours at Chale Abbey Studios on Isle of Wight early December 2022 where Level 42 are originally from.

I'm hoping to be able to let family and friends listen to it soon enough after Phil has had chance to go back to Chale Abbey Studios to do final mixing process.  Was suppose to be done just before Christmas but food poisoning and bad weather put pay to that. 

He's sent me three one minute clips which aren't the finished article but I love them so don't think I'll be disappointed with end product.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ElginDon,

I had Phil Gould send me the thirty minute cartoon wrestling video with his drumming over it two days ago although from what he said this is not the final piece he still needs to 'fly in more fx' before mastering it.

As we said above not expecting anybody else to really understand or appreciate what my musical hero other than Reni has done for me but excited to think we could let family and friends hear it very soon.

There are some great bits in it if I can be biased for one second.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Absolutely love it when you discover a new (old) artist.

Got to say of course, I had heard of this band back in the day, but seriously don't recollect listening to any of their stuff. Out a walk yesterday morning and one of their tracks came on my Spotify feed and lead me to listening to this album which I've now literally had on repeat. One of those albums where if possible every track seems to be even better than the one that came before it. 

• 1 month later...

Been on repeat for me since release on the 16th of this month, the debut and self titled album by Far From Saints. 

Every track is excellent and my favourite one changes with each listen but possibly is just marginally "Let's Turn This Back Around"

Not yet out of June but definitely the one to beat for my album of the year

Very near perfection

9.5/10 👍

• 3 months later...

This is a Dutch singer who used to be called Caro Emerald and disappeared for a couple of years apparently to reinvent herself as 'The Jordan'. 

I saw her on a BBC Four Live Sessions programme for first time ever just last week as Caro Emerald and went looking for her material only to find she was now called 'The Jordan' and had released a debut solo album which is pretty damn good. 

Above tune is the one track I'm liking the most at the minute from said collection.

• 1 month later...

Despite this being on what feels like a loop it also probably does change the track listing every few days although can't be sure for definite.

HOWEVER I must admit WE CAN'T SWITCH THIS OFF AT TIMES!!

Seems to be chilling me out like one needs.  

This discovery is what YouTube should be used for.

• 4 weeks later...