Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The inevitable question

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Well it only took a couple of weeks to finish that idea. It would have been nice for the dream to have lasted a bit longer.

The karma that told me that it was always going to be a pipe dream was those Dons fans on the telly that they cornered in the ticket office, singing "we're gonna win the league". There's a good chance that the unfortunate souls are regular posters on an AFC webchatspeaksite given that they seemed to have nothing else in their lives. It was the fact that they were all virgins that was the most unfortunate, bonding together behind their football team, unable to get a woman through their common social handicaps.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By fuck you're a negative soul Rocket.

We still CAN win the league, and until that is impossible I, for one, will still be optimistic. If we can beat them twice, and match results, then it's only goal difference that separates us. It's still not beyond us.

Fuck, if they get a run in Europe, a few unfortunate postponements, several players get violently attacked in the LC SF and miss a few games................

Go listen to some Yes to cheer you up  ;D

By fuck you're a negative soul Rocket.

We still CAN win the league, and until that is impossible I, for one, will still be optimistic. If we can beat them twice, and match results, then it's only goal difference that separates us. It's still not beyond us.

Fuck, if they get a run in Europe, a few unfortunate postponements, several players get violently attacked in the LC SF and miss a few games................

Go listen to some Yes to cheer you up  ;D

You're not very good at this, are you?

Bollocks. To your gross distortion of my character and to your unfounded optimism.

I've never been described as negative, nor as a pessimist, because I am neither. If you are familiar with the groundbreaking work of Professor Carol Dweck of Stanford University, which will have major implications in various fields inc. management, recruitment, team-building and high performance coaching, you will be aware of the distinction between fixed mindsets and growth mindsets. Fixed mindsets would listen to shit music from 40 years ago and would get stuck in that era. The growth mindset listens to everything and make their own minds up.

As for winning the SPL, that's just never going to happen this May for a number of reasons. To understand this, you would have to understand football. If we hadn't got Brown between the sticks, the mathematical remoteness still existing would have been snuffed out ages out.

• 5 weeks later...

From the Daily Record:

I know we need to take one game and a time etc...but it's nice to even be thinking about it:

You'll never have a better chance of lifting the title, says former Aberdeen boss Jocky Scott

06:00, 24 February 2015 By Frank Gilfeather

BULLISH Scott believes Derek McInnes’s side have what it takes to upset current table-toppers Celtic at Parkhead on Sunday.

JOCKY SCOTT believes? Aberdeen have the perfect opportunity to go one better than the Dons side he helped lead to the brink of becoming champions of Scotland.

The 67-year-old was co-manager with Alex Smith in 1991 when Rangers pipped Aberdeen to the title by winning a final-day showdown at Ibrox.

And bullish Scott believes Derek McInnes’s side have what it takes to upset current table-toppers Celtic at Parkhead on Sunday.

He said: “Aberdeen are playing very well and getting results so they certainly have nothing to fear.

VIEW GALLERY

“I don’t think Celtic will be affected having had two games before they face Aberdeen. Players enjoy being involved in these games. The Celtic players will enjoy facing Inter Milan and they’ll look forward to coming up against Aberdeen

“There will be a big crowd at Parkhead on Sunday so they won’t want to let the home fans down. But Aberdeen have nothing to be apprehensive about.”

Scott, who helped Smith lead the Dons to a cup double in 1989-90, reckons his former team should take heart from seeing other sides run Celtic close this term.

He said: “Although Celtic have been getting results week in week out, I always think watching them that the opposition have a chance.

“All right, they beat Hamilton 4-0 on Sunday, but they don’t normally win by the big scorelines the way they used to. And I always think teams have a chance against them.

“The Dons are confident in the way they play and that they’ll get results and realistically they are the only team left to mount a challenge to Celtic. I’ve been saying for months Aberdeen and Dundee United have never have a better chance of winning the title than they have this season. But now it’s down to the Dons.

“Derek McInnes has got good performances and good results from his team and everybody at Pittodrie is obviously doing the right thing.”

Scott still has painful?memories of failing to clinch the title that day in 1991 when Aberdeen needed only a draw to become champions.

He said: “I remember lots from that game. We started well and had a very good chance through Hans Gillhaus then another five minutes later through Peter van de Ven. Had we scored with one of those chances we wouldn’t have lost the game.”

Rangers eventually ran out 2-0 winners but Scott doesn’t believe this season’s Dons will show similar nerves on Sunday.

He said: “Watching Celtic recently I’ve felt that while they’ve won, the opposition have had opportunities.

“In the win over St Johnstone in Perth on Valentine’s Day, the home side had a great chance in the last minute to get a draw. Celtic have been allowing teams to get that close.

“If Aberdeen don’t lose the game it would put real pressure on Celtic and keep the Dons momentum going – more so of course if they win at Parkhead.”

• 2 weeks later...

Fucks sake.

Just.

Fucks sake!

You spend a few days, lick your wounds........ accept that it's probably over......... begin moving on. 

Then this happens and all of a sudden a glimmer of hope appears.  You know it's probably still fucked but this latest development is making me feel like a hitcher when someone pulls over then just as you get up to the car they pull forward a wee bit then stop again. 

The Saintee's have giving us a fighting chance again. 

Fucks sake.

Just.

Fucks sake!

You spend a few days, lick your wounds........ accept that it's probably over......... begin moving on. 

Then this happens and all of a sudden a glimmer of hope appears.  You know it's probably still fucked but this latest development is making me feel like a hitcher when someone pulls over then just as you get up to the car they pull forward a wee bit then stop again. 

The Saintee's have giving us a fighting chance again.

Pretty much sums it up for me too!

Think you're probably right ST. Just a bit disappointing seeing other teams being able to do what we should have been. Peach of a goal by Swanson. Keeps it interesting, but I definitely would have rather won on Sunday and them beat the saints last night. If this is the encouragement the team need to fight on, not sure what will be.

P.s. excellent season (so far)

You've got to look at the positives off the field this season too:

• Debt free.

• Players signed up on long contracts.

• Coaching staff renewed their contracts.

• We have a decent bench.

• We have a 'keeper challenging Langfield. (possibly a work in progress there)

• We're attracting players instead of having to convince them to come.

• Crowds must be up?

• Our promising youth players seem to want to stay rather than chasing coin down south.

It's a great season for us, but again, it's unlikely we'll have anything to show for it.

• 3 weeks later...

To be fair, we've had chances to beat them and failed. Think we should be looking at ourselves tbh.

Or we should appreciate this season for what it is and realise we will have been beaten to the title by a team that has 10x our budget.

• 4 weeks later...

to have even have slight chance the title in  the middle April shows what kind side we have now and how much we have improved.  . This year we have moved it up a notch to pull away fae the rest.  next year we will be in the mix for the title again I have no doubts about that.  Season ticket sales will be very healthy again . renewing mine soon as I can.. . loving watching this side. have to go back to Willies Millers first season in charge for the same enjoyment .  good times ahead.  :thumbsup:

Although it remains a pipe dream, the next week or so will be a massive decider in Celtic’s season. They’ve got Dundee away, then Utd away then Dundee at home.

Dundee are a decent outfit, and may grab something at home. Utd have started a bitter rivalry with them due to their numerous encounters, and player losses. You never know…

Hopefully, one half of jute city can help us out. As much as I don’t think we’ll win league, it would make it massively interesting if they drop points in any of those 3 games above, then play us at home, and have to go into the last day of the season needing a win against ICT (arguably the most likely outside of us to take points off them).

The fat lady may not be singing quite yet!

Although it remains a pipe dream, the next week or so will be a massive decider in Celtic’s season. They’ve got Dundee away, then Utd away then Dundee at home.

Dundee are a decent outfit, and may grab something at home. Utd have started a bitter rivalry with them due to their numerous encounters, and player losses. You never know…

Hopefully, one half of jute city can help us out. As much as I don’t think we’ll win league, it would make it massively interesting if they drop points in any of those 3 games above, then play us at home, and have to go into the last day of the season needing a win against ICT (arguably the most likely outside of us to take points off them).

The fat lady may not be singing quite yet!

shhhhh.png?w=300

If they take full points off Dundee this wek, I think that's it. An eight point lead with five games to go is huge, and they'd have to make some massive great balls-ups to fritter that away.

The optimist in me says that it's a free hit for Dundee. They've made the top six, they're a decent team, they'll have an outside chance of finishing in 4th and maybe getting a Europa League spot, and they might as well go for it. I've got very little faith in United getting their act together, or in Inverness going all guns blazing when they've got a cup final to look forward to. Caley Thistle are safe in third, and their season comes down to that one game at the end of the year, it's the games with Dundee and St Johnstone which I think will shape any possible turnaround.

A five/six point lead is quite fragile, especially if we've got a head-to-head to go. That can turn into a two or a three point lead very quickly indeed, and the weight of pressure suddenly shifts back onto them. At the very least, it becomes a talking point. Deila starts getting questions about handling pressure, the players start getting criticised for not winning the treble, the support starts getting frustrated because they thought they'd coast to all three trophies...

If they take full points off Dundee this wek, I think that's it. An eight point lead with five games to go is huge, and they'd have to make some massive great balls-ups to fritter that away.

The optimist in me says that it's a free hit for Dundee. They've made the top six, they're a decent team, they'll have an outside chance of finishing in 4th and maybe getting a Europa League spot, and they might as well go for it. I've got very little faith in United getting their act together, or in Inverness going all guns blazing when they've got a cup final to look forward to. Caley Thistle are safe in third, and their season comes down to that one game at the end of the year, it's the games with Dundee and St Johnstone which I think will shape any possible turnaround.

A five/six point lead is quite fragile, especially if we've got a head-to-head to go. That can turn into a two or a three point lead very quickly indeed, and the weight of pressure suddenly shifts back onto them. At the very least, it becomes a talking point. Deila starts getting questions about handling pressure, the players start getting criticised for not winning the treble, the support starts getting frustrated because they thought they'd coast to all three trophies...

Oh, you've all got me thinking about it again, didn't bode well for me last time  :frown:

COYR. Let's fucking take them!  :ultras: :ultras: :ultras:

There is only one flaw in that beautiful scenario... referee's. After what happened at the weekend and with Celtic writing to the SFA over the ref, they will shout for everything, they will go doon like a hooker on crack, they will surround the referee and the shite ref'sin this country will give them EVERY decision. I want them to falter, they will falter, but they will also get everything their way. I just hope the fans put pressure on Delia and the team if it doesnt according to plan, that may well be their undoing.

If, and it's a mighty big if, Dundee can even get a draw on Wed,  there might still be the faintest flicker of hope. 

We need to keep winning, and hope that the DABS can find something from somewhere to try and redeem themselves in their fans' eyes against ra sellick.

Of course, all of this will be moot, if we do our usual capitulation against the green horde when we play them.

Whatever the outcome,  I think the Dons have had a good season and we have a lot to build on.