Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Arabs, uprisings, hate and corruption

There was a minute's silence on the BBC at 11am today. Fit the fuck? Was there a minute silence for the Ankara bombings 10 days ago that killed 37? I'm mainly curious. What, or who, is deemed worthy of the hours of coverage, who makes the decision that the Belgian atrocity is worse than the Turkish, what links us to these incidents? These are questions worth asking I think, before the response of Belgian facebook pages, je suis Brusselles and solidarity (was this word ever used before Paris?).

As for the sinister grief-tourism that happens after these events, with folk congregating in square/plaza x, y or z with their random candles and public grieving - has this always been a thing (I'm thinking Elvis, Lennon, Diana perhaps)?. It certainly loses its meaning, sincerity and even compassion more rapidly than a minutes applause at a football game. I probably just don't understand the person who finds that it helps them.

Typically, I can't walk at the minute, so I'm pretty much stuck in front of the TV/internet with the Belgian monopoly difficult to avoid. I was in a hospital ward when Diana died and had no control over the TV remote, which probably traumatised me.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a minute's silence on the BBC at 11am today. Fit the fuck? Was there a minute silence for the Ankara bombings 10 days ago that killed 37? I'm mainly curious. What, or who, is deemed worthy of the hours of coverage, who makes the decision that the Belgian atrocity is worse than the Turkish, what links us to these incidents? These are questions worth asking I think, before the response of Belgian facebook pages, je suis Brusselles and solidarity (was this word ever used before Paris?).

As for the sinister grief-tourism that happens after these events, with folk congregating in square/plaza x, y or z with their random candles and public grieving - has this always been a thing (I'm thinking Elvis, Lennon, Diana perhaps)?. It certainly loses its meaning, sincerity and even compassion more rapidly than a minutes applause at a football game. I probably just don't understand the person who finds that it helps them.

Typically, I can't walk at the minute, so I'm pretty much stuck in front of the TV/internet with the Belgian monopoly difficult to avoid. I was in a hospital ward when Diana died and had no control over the TV remote, which probably traumatised me.

Agree with you on your first point. The further away the deaths the less they seem to matter. BBC obviously don't relate to Turkey because they're not a civilised western country. It's fucked up.

I don't know how long the grief tourism as you call it has been a thing. But I get it. It's the best time so send a clear message to terrorists that we won't be intimidated. I like the "Not afraid" message from Paris in November. But a clear message also has to be sent to the "civilised" leaders who committed war crimes in our name for their own personal gain as Rocket alluded to. They're terrorists as well. They just wear suits and have white skin.

I'm a guy who believes all people and animals should be left to live in peace. Definitely against the death penalty. Basically a standard human. But I'd make an exception for some of these warmongering scum bags. I'd treat them with the same contempt that I'd treat some brainwashed Muslim mentalists.

When the Christians were doing this 800 years ago how were they stopped? This is just history repeating itself.

EDIT:

ap_paris_shooting_12_kb_150107_1_16x9_992.jpg

Aye, the coverage is a strange one, what I meant really was: is it explicit? Is there a BBC (or whoever) editorial position that prioritises Western allies' tragic events? Or is it just an unwritten rule? As I say, I'm just curious, I'd be very interested to know how it works and why.

Hadn't seen that picture, I sort of get it I suppose. The big thing for me though is that it tacitly allows our governments to continue as is - that image was/is a huge endorsement for Hollande to ramp up atrocities in Syria, and indeed our own government to join in, resulting in more atrocities in our neck of the woods. It gave them permission, and support, for that arm-in-arm leader march thing that happened too, which was fucking weird. The thing is, people should be scared, and angry. Angry at their own leaders for Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya, leading to Syria. All of which have led to these events, where previously non-religious thick people can be puppeted to a simplistic death because we were too stupid to integrate and educate them when they first came here. Would you treat an American soldier who blew up a hospital or shot some journalists with the same contempt as a brainwashed Muslim mentalist? I'd like to think they're the same thing. A poor, uneducated person brainwashed into thinking that they're doing the right thing.

Anyway, a great piece from one of my favourite journalists, John Pilger. Not on topic as such:

http://johnpilger.com/articles/a-world-war-has-begun-break-the-silence-

Anyway, a great piece from one of my favourite journalists, John Pilger. Not on topic as such:

Great article. More and more of us are seeing through the "new world order", which in reality is an old world order of systemic corruption on the biggest imaginable scale, the west being the truly evil force polluting the world, impoverishing its own people and killing innocents indiscriminately.

Once majority awareness kicks in, there is only one natural end and that is the imprisonment of Blair, Cameron et al and the execution of Clinton, Bush, Obama et al. Plus their many counterparts in many countries in Europe and around the world. The danger is that the neocons, sensing their own end, do something very mad.

Aye, the coverage is a strange one, what I meant really was: is it explicit? Is there a BBC (or whoever) editorial position that prioritises Western allies' tragic events? Or is it just an unwritten rule? As I say, I'm just curious, I'd be very interested to know how it works and why.

Hadn't seen that picture, I sort of get it I suppose. The big thing for me though is that it tacitly allows our governments to continue as is - that image was/is a huge endorsement for Hollande to ramp up atrocities in Syria, and indeed our own government to join in, resulting in more atrocities in our neck of the woods. It gave them permission, and support, for that arm-in-arm leader march thing that happened too, which was fucking weird. The thing is, people should be scared, and angry. Angry at their own leaders for Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya, leading to Syria. All of which have led to these events, where previously non-religious thick people can be puppeted to a simplistic death because we were too stupid to integrate and educate them when they first came here. Would you treat an American soldier who blew up a hospital or shot some journalists with the same contempt as a brainwashed Muslim mentalist? I'd like to think they're the same thing. A poor, uneducated person brainwashed into thinking that they're doing the right thing.

This is what we must not allow. And I believe protests did/are happening and did happen and places like central London after the Paris attacks. These aren't taken seriously by the media and get little to no coverage.

That article was depressing. I don't know much about the author but if he's right then ffs it's enough to put me off having kids.

I had no idea Bikini was an island. That was a nugget of new info that has enriched my day.

"If" he's right? Why would he not be? Where did you get your view of the world?

Truth is truth. Did you think a plane flew into the Pentagon too? You shouldn't believe lies.

FFS. Yes. If he is right. My view of the world is 99.99% less blinkered than the "sheeple" as you'd call them. So calm your tits.

I say "If" because automatically believing everything you read on the internet without questioning it is half the problem. Not saying he's wrong. I just don't know that he's right. None of us Donstalkers do for sure. Although he probably is.

FFS. Yes. If he is right. My view of the world is 99.99% less blinkered than the "sheeple" as you'd call them. So calm your tits.

I say "If" because automatically believing everything you read on the internet without questioning it is half the problem. Not saying he's wrong. I just don't know that he's right. None of us Donstalkers do for sure. Although he probably is.

You continually expose your naivety and ignorance in your words.

What he writes is what some of us - still a very small minority of the world's population unfortunately - have been reading and thinking for years, from massively diverse sources. When one applies critical thinking to the evidence before us, having bothered our arses to seek truth in a sufficiently diligent manner, it's obvious.

You miss the obvious realities for reasons beyond my ken, just like the two young fish, just like the two stranded elevator passengers.

You continually expose your naivety and ignorance in your words.

What he writes is what some of us - still a very small minority of the world's population unfortunately - have been reading and thinking for years, from massively diverse sources. When one applies critical thinking to the evidence before us, having bothered our arses to seek truth in a sufficiently diligent manner, it's obvious.

You miss the obvious realities for reasons beyond my ken, just like the two young fish, just like the two stranded elevator passengers.

Just because folk have thought something for years doesn't mean that it's true. The worst part of it was that Bernie is supposedly a puppet too. I had higher hopes for him just like I have for Corbyn. The rest of that article I too have been aware of for a long time (apart from the Bikini Island thing).

But seeing opinions written down on the internet will never pass as evidence.  I'm not saying I don't think it's true. But I used the word "if" because I don't know for sure. And no amount of reading opinions on the internet will change that.

I'm nae arguing about this non issue anymore.

Much as you would close the "argument" - not that we were arguing - and run away, I won't let you.

I have a couple of presents for you. My compassion for my fellow man knows no bounds.

The people on the elevator missed the obvious, that they could take action on. Whilst there are a couple of major truths in this rather amusing video, the point of the fish story, he explains in full.

We miss the most important and obvious realities. I hope you enjoy them.

The second video deals with a ton of truths. I plagiarised some of it in a presentation I did on Monday to open a two day conference. The brilliant Spancunian speaker - spanish but lived in Manchester the last 15 years - used the first video in his presentation to close the symposium. I'd not heard of or seen either five days ago!

Just because folk have thought something for years doesn't mean that it's true. The worst part of it was that Bernie is supposedly a puppet too. I had higher hopes for him just like I have for Corbyn. The rest of that article I too have been aware of for a long time (apart from the Bikini Island thing).

But seeing opinions written down on the internet will never pass as evidence.  I'm not saying I don't think it's true. But I used the word "if" because I don't know for sure. And no amount of reading opinions on the internet will change that.

I'm nae arguing about this non issue anymore.

Glad you liked the article min! John Pilger is ace. He won the journalist of the year award in the UK when he was young and pretty much an award every few years since, was in the room when Bobby Kennedy was shot (not really an achievement!), his documentaries on Cambodia (Year Zero, stunning film) and East Timor raised millions in charitable funding for those areas whilst highlighting the actions of nefarious governments (the US), had a huge part in the settlement for victims of Thalidomide, produced dozens of brilliant films (the war you don't see and utopia were on in the UK recently - just fantastic), written several books (I've read Freedom Next Time, Tell Me No Lies, The New Rulers of the World and Hidden Agendas - all brilliant).

He is very much the real deal, and worth reading. He doesn't explicitly say that Sanders is a puppet to be fair, just unlikely to be the person to drag us out of the neo-liberal consensus. A bit like Corbyn in that respect. They'd both still be reasonably genuine people that would make things easier for their respective populace. But that's obvious by the way they talk; neither has properly challenged the status quo (Corbyn suggesting he'd still like to "balance the books" for example, like he's dealing with a household budget). Whilst people like Sanders and Corbyn may provide some respite to those really affected by government cuts I, selfishly, would rather we got people like Trump or Boris Johnston elected so that we can see things coming to a head sooner. We're heading for some really bad shit if we don't change from capitalism, and hopefully these types of leader will bring out the opposition and raise the media veil that covers up the systemic nastiness of our political economy and force people to really educate themselves. 

The second video deals with a ton of truths. I plagiarised some of it in a presentation I did on Monday to open a two day conference. The brilliant Spancunian speaker - spanish but lived in Manchester the last 15 years - used the first video in his presentation to close the symposium. I'd not heard of or seen either five days ago!

Aye David Foster Wallace was a decent writer, I bought Pale King a few years back but never read it, will have to look it out. Committed suicide, which maybe wouldn't surprise some. Never heard that video though, an excellent listen.

Aye David Foster Wallace was a decent writer, I bought Pale King a few years back but never read it, will have to look it out. Committed suicide, which maybe wouldn't surprise some. Never heard that video though, an excellent listen.

I'd never heard of him until Sunday morning! The one part of that speech that creeped me a bit was when he was talking about preferred suicide methods with a gun. Having then done a bit of research on the guy, interesting that he chose a different modus operandi. Some of the most talented minds are the most tortured.

This was a classic quote: -

Blind certainty = a closed mindedness that amounts to an imprisonment so total that the prisoner doesn’t even know he’s locked up

I'd never heard of him until Sunday morning! The one part of that speech that creeped me a bit was when he was talking about preferred suicide methods with a gun. Having then done a bit of research on the guy, interesting that he chose a different modus operandi. Some of the most talented minds are the most tortured.

This was a classic quote: -

Blind certainty = a closed mindedness that amounts to an imprisonment so total that the prisoner doesn’t even know he’s locked up

Aye, it's a pity I knew how he died before listening, as you can't help but listen to it with that in mind. I don't think it takes away from the speech though, cause he's really into it (unlike if you listen to some of other yt videos linked in that one, where he seems really detached). Some fantastic thoughts in there though, provoking and real.

That was a statement of truth. No arguing with facts.

If it's this obvious to us, the question is why are our "leaders" STILL currying favour with the Saudis?

Two reasons. They've been bought and they're incredibly stupid.

• 3 months later...

Some brutal shite gone down in Nice tonight. 73 dead so far. Deliberately running folk over in a truck. Lass in my work just away there today, hope she wasn't caught up in it. Horrible stuff.

Nae for the faint hearted:

http://pamelageller....o-50-dead.html/

Aye, that clip is horrendous. Personally, I don't know how they can walk around taking video of that carnage. It's not the first thing that I would think of doing.

Seems something big is kicking off in Turkey

Military have closed bridges in Istanbul and apparently there are now tanks at the airport. Gunshots and low flying jets in Ankara too

Government about to be overthrown perhaps?

Yep, military coup. Not before time. Erdogan is a fucked up cunt. Reckon it'll be Ruskie sponsored like. Good for them.

What happened in Nice was not nice.

But not totally surprising.

What happened in Ankara wasn't nice on a humanitarian level, innocent lives being lost.

But in the bigger picture, Erdogan, his son and their arrogance being challenged is overdue.

Once again, this is a fight against Amerikuh.

The worst empire of them all.

And the British and French were evil.

Celebrities dying - The world celebrity culture really kicked off about 66years ago as global travel and communication became easier and televisions started to become more affordable.

Ergo in the next 5-10 years you are going to see more and more of the musicians, television and film stars who started out back then and had the monopoly of the pre satelite TV multi-channel coverage leaving this mortal coil.

Hatred all around? Is it any worse than it has always been? Perhaps the difference is with the likes of social media, 24 hour news etc you hear more about it and its even easier for governments (and the likes of Murdoch) to use it to influence and scare the weak minded, the desperate etc.

Your last part intrigues and worries me. He was a muslim (or at least from a predominantly muslim country) who had been arrested for smaller crimes yet he could not be detained as a suspected mass murdering terrorist? Whats your point here?

I'm now thinking back to the days of the Guildford 4 when having an Irish accent and history of Petty theft and Assault would get you locked up for 20years for bombing a London Pub

Based on what I have seen the attacker was a Tunisian man (Former french colony), who was estranged from his wife & kids (domestic violence) who never attended his local mosque (so was he really a muslim?), drank alcohol (forbidden in Islam), kept himself to himself and had been done for road rage for which he fully complied with his suspended sentence.

Lets see now, Alcohol drinking, non-church attending, wife beater who no longer sees his wife and kids and has been done for stuff like road rage or aggravated assault by the local cops.

If that's the criteria for security forces to detain someone then we are going to need to start building prisons sharpish as the cops could clear out most of the male populations of deprived areas.

Or can they only do it if the suspect happens to either be a practicing muslim, from a muslim family, from a country that is predominantly musilm, or just have an arabic sounding name?

Celebrities dying - The world celebrity culture really kicked off about 66years ago as global travel and communication became easier and televisions started to become more affordable.

Ergo in the next 5-10 years you are going to see more and more of the musicians, television and film stars who started out back then and had the monopoly of the pre satelite TV multi-channel coverage leaving this mortal coil.

Hatred all around? Is it any worse than it has always been? Perhaps the difference is with the likes of social media, 24 hour news etc you hear more about it and its even easier for governments (and the likes of Murdoch) to use it to influence and scare the weak minded, the desperate etc.

Your last part intrigues and worries me. He was a muslim (or at least from a predominantly muslim country) who had been arrested for smaller crimes yet he could not be detained as a suspected mass murdering terrorist? Whats your point here?

I'm now thinking back to the days of the Guildford 4 when having an Irish accent and history of Petty theft and Assault would get you locked up for 20years for bombing a London Pub

Based on what I have seen the attacker was a Tunisian man (Former french colony), who was estranged from his wife & kids (domestic violence) who never attended his local mosque (so was he really a muslim?), drank alcohol (forbidden in Islam), kept himself to himself and had been done for road rage for which he fully complied with his suspended sentence.

Lets see now, Alcohol drinking, non-church attending, wife beater who no longer sees his wife and kids and has been done for stuff like road rage or aggravated assault by the local cops.

If that's the criteria for security forces to detain someone then we are going to need to start building prisons sharpish as the cops could clear out most of the male populations of deprived areas.

Or can they only do it if the suspect happens to either be a practicing muslim, from a muslim family, from a country that is predominantly musilm, or just have an arabic sounding name?

Excellent response Tom