🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Getting older

scotfree

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 years later...

So, we've recruited a right few new members in the past few weeks.

Strikes me that a number of them are ages with myself so thought I'd dig up this old thread and throw it out there........whats your thought on getting older ?

Good, bad, indifferent  ???

Fortieth birthday wife asked what sort of party I wanted ( shes now ex wife btw). I told her f@ck all, but behind my back she goes and organises one anyway. Now my birthday falls on Hogmanay. I just wanted a quiet day see the bells in and hit the pillow by 130/2am tops.

Anyway I got wind of things around 27th/28th. I stewed on things for 24 hours then told her on 29th I knew about the party and that while she was welcome to proceed with her plans, I would be checking into a hotel and would be back late evening on neerday. Poor cow spent next 6 hours on phone cancelling all guests.

Probably seem a right ungrateful c@nt but that was just how I was at the time. Grumpy bastard definately. Was it age related? Possibly, I just developed a talent for saying exactly what I thought rather than biting my tongue as I had done in situations in younger years.

JUst turned 54 and it's pissing me off no end, I'm more aware of my and everyone around me's mortality which scares me. My eyes which used to be great into my 40s are now pish, nead glasses to read everything. I make that euuugh noise when I get up after sitting for a while. I have an irregular heart beat (AF).......on the other hand I still sometimes think I'm 18 and run about like a feel, cue the AF starting up  :gonk: All in all getting auld is a cunt imo. Wish I could be 21 again. :

Watching your kids get older is horrible, great from their point of view, but my youngest has started to drop my hand if he is walking along the streets and sees his pals, so not long now until taking my hand will stop altogether. It is nice seeing them grow up and become adults, but nothing ever beats them being young and innocent and relying on their mum and dads for everything.

I'm a 1962 vintage too. Getting older is excellent. I wouldn't want to go back one year let alone decades like some do.

Wisdom grows. Love deepens. Why would anyone want to go back?

If you're not loving living more and more each year, with ALL the ups and downs it brings, you're not thinking right or you are living wrong. And if you're living wrong, change.

We've had the best of it though. I don't think our kids have got as good prospects as we had.

I'm now 45 and can't say i'm over the moon about the ageing process.

My kids are 17 and 14 and i pretty much don't see them a great deal, never out their rooms.

I can't believe i'm at this age already to be honest and i just feel the years are racing past. I do wonder if having worked offshore for over 16 years has got a lot to do with that.  :-\

Am just a kick in the erse away from 40 and yes growing old is a worry,

When i think back now i wish me and the wife had kids when we were a bit younger, and if i could stop time, now would be a great time to stop. The loons are a great age

Also looking back at my 18-30 stuff, did i enjoy it? Aye, would i like to go back? No.

Other thing is enjoy life to the max, we are here for a good time no a long time. Enjoy every day like its your last as you're never sure whats round that corner. 

I rejected organised religion early doors. Never believed the church stuff. But I made a conscious decision to read the Bible, age 15 or 16. It was a good read actually. I thought it wise to see what the fuss was about before slamming the door shut for life. So I considered myself an atheist for 20 years, which I don't now. Still despise all "religions" but I guess when you close the door on the state-sponsored devices, it kind of forces you to create your own belief system (or religion).

For me, the objective of life is very simple; to die without regrets.

Seems that there's a lot of regret and reflecting on "the good old days" in here. That's sad.