Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The goalkeeper situation

Langfield made a howler, yes we get it.  It's bitterly disappointing, especially to those that paid the money to go to that dump in the first place to see it.  However, in the cold light of day, the morning after etc, etc, it's one point dropped because of an individual error.  One point, in the first game of the season, away to the league champions, in a game we weren't expected to get anything from.

What did the ten in front of him do to merit taking anything else from the game?  By all accounts we were quite solid without threatening Celtic much.  Vernon had one good chance and blew it - can't you class that as an individual error?  Couldn't you say that Vernon missing that chance conceivably cost us two points because it could've been a game-winner, as opposed to Langfield costing us one?  And had Vernon actually scored that one, then Langfield's error would've cost us two points.

All if, buts and maybes, but persepctive needed.  Craig Brown needs to put a team on the pitch that is capable of scoring goals and winning games.  Being hard to beat is one thing, but taking pressure off the guys at the back is another.  We'll dust ourselves down for next week and take it all out on Ross County.

I'd rather a keeper made a howler in a game like this as opposed to a home game against Ross County for example.  And let's face facts here, Jason Brown is no great shakes either so don't get your knickers in a twist about dropping Langfield until we can sign someone better.  An awful lot of mongs in our support seem to think that Brown's too kool 4 skool attitude makes him no1 choice.  Well when he came here he was almost as fat as Neville Southall and probably less mobile.  He owes AFC alot for getting his career back on track and needs to keep his mouth shut and get on with his job.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On reflection I agree with a lot of what has been said.

We looked solid at the back, and looked like we could string passes together from the back, through the midfield, but up front we did appear to be lacking.

Whether that was due to a "safety first" mentality from Brown, or our striker being poor (at least in this game), most likely a combination of the two.

Re Langfield: shocking statements on twiter I believe, no place for that and I hope the club can do something about those morons.

I think Langfield needs to get another game ASAP, even if it's a bounce game, U17s or U20s to get some confidence back. Even if Brown (who's been a bit of a knob about this imho) is back in goal Langfield will still be on the bench, so we need him to have some sort of confidence.

Ideally, if there were funds I like to see a rb AND a gk brought in, but if it's one or the other I'd now more likely want a decent, reliable gk tbh.

langfield dying chat is disgraceful, but brown should be our number one. Regardless of whether don't folk think he he should be, he is the best we have. We shouldn't have lost today, he completely fucked us today. I also heard the union jack was in appearance again...

It was indeed. Not happy about it at all and I don't understand why it's there in the first place and then why it's tolerated.

Shocked to read that Clangers is getting told to die on the internet. That's nae on. But I agree with the sentiments of most. Ja Brown is the better of the two and deserves to be in goal. Despite his own fuck up against St. Mirren last season he grew in confidence and is a better keeper partly (or mostly?) because his command of and communication with the defence is non stop.

Sadly it does look like he'll be away. And even if he acted with the utmost professionalism (which I admit he maybe hasn't done) I still think CB would have kept faith with Clangers and that he'd be in goal again for the next game.

Langfield is a fucking bottler. Always has been. He's happy to admit that. He's happy to lose goals. He never expects to keep a clean sheet especially against Celtic so even if he makes a couple of half decent saves from Commons (which, for the record I would have expected any professional keeper to make. Neither of them were that outstanding) he's still going to fucking throw one in if it looks like Celtic aren't going to get their winner.  ::)

Royally fucking pissed off with Langfield. I too have defended him (although not since he came out in the press and admitted that he was a bottling cunt and that he was used to shipping goals) but the time has well and truly come for him to follow Darren Mackie oot the door and not to let the door hit his arse on the way oot.

I've just seen the highlights for the first time.  I'd read tweets about him trying to stop it with his feet, so I've misread the type of howler it was.  It wasn't a mistake, it was simply terrible goalkeeping, body shape was all wrong.  Bad enough to be beaten on front post but twice as bad to let it slip under you and thrice as bad to dive towards the ball like he did.  The save he made from Commons immediately beforehand also was an easy stop that probably should've been held rather than beaten away.  He looks short of confidence to me.  Yes, time to get ruthless I think, I'm not a big Jason Brown fan, and I'm not in favour of dropping players for making mistakes, but Langfield should be benched from here on in I'm afraid.

Langfield shouldn't be at our fucking club, let alone being number 1. He's a mediocre keeper and should have been shown the door along with Diamond, McDonald, Kerr etc. How many chances does one player get at a club? Yes, he's a decent enough shot-stopper but so are most goal-keepers. His command of the box is terrible, his kicking is abysmal, his positioning is terrible and he is a bottler. I'm not saying that Brown is a world-beater but I am far more confident in Jason Brown between the sticks than Langfield. Brown does the basics correctly and isn't prone to bottling it on the big occasions. On Saturday, for the first time in a long time, we looked difficult to beat and hard to break down but what is the point if Langfield can't save a terrible shot. Too many times his mistakes have cost us. Get him dropped and barring injuries and suspension, leave him on warming the bench.

Langfield shouldn't be at our fucking club, let alone being number 1. He's a mediocre keeper and should have been shown the door along with Diamond, McDonald, Kerr etc. How many chances does one player get at a club? Yes, he's a decent enough shot-stopper but so are most goal-keepers. His command of the box is terrible, his kicking is abysmal, his positioning is terrible and he is a bottler. I'm not saying that Brown is a world-beater but I am far more confident in Jason Brown between the sticks than Langfield. Brown does the basics correctly and isn't prone to bottling it on the big occasions. On Saturday, for the first time in a long time, we looked difficult to beat and hard to break down but what is the point if Langfield can't save a terrible shot. Too many times his mistakes have cost us. Get him dropped and barring injuries and suspension, leave him on warming the bench.

Re Brown not bottling the big occasions is everyone forgetting the first goal in the semi against Hibs.

Re Brown not bottling the big occasions is everyone forgetting the first goal in the semi against Hibs.

Whilst Brown didn't exactly cover himself in glory, it would be highly unfair to say that he bottled it then. The defending from everyone was shocking, leaving O'Connor in plenty of space to pick his spot.

Whilst Brown didn't exactly cover himself in glory, it would be highly unfair to say that he bottled it then. The defending from everyone was shocking, leaving O'Connor in plenty of space to pick his spot.

It was a collective disaster. Defending was shocking but the keeper left such a big gap at the front post O'Connor could've Tokyo drifted his Ferrari through it.

Clangers drops clanger shocker!

Aye he completely missed the ball for the goal and it was a disappointing end to a fairly hard-fought game, but maybe we can be a little more realistic a few days later?

Celtic were extremely ordinary against us and created few chances.

We were more or less rubbish in almost every department - as usual - and lost to an unlucky goal.

How that ends up in some of the vitriol that has been expressed toward Langfield on here and elsewhere is beyond me.

We are crap. Celtic are a little bit better.

That pretty much sums that game (and probably the season to come) up and whether the goal had come from a great piece of attacking or, as in this case, from a total defensive howler, does it really matter?!

We created nothing all game and were relying on some pretty desperate defending at times. It always looked like they would manage to get one at some point.

So Clangers completely missed a relatively simple ball, rather than letting one of the other couple of Commons' better shots get past him: Meh.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

:-\

Clangers drops clanger shocker!

Aye he completely missed the ball for the goal and it was a disappointing end to a fairly hard-fought game, but maybe we can be a little more realistic a few days later?

Celtic were extremely ordinary against us and created few chances.

We were more or less rubbish in almost every department - as usual - and lost to an unlucky goal.

How that ends up in some of the vitriol that has been expressed toward Langfield on here and elsewhere is beyond me.

We are crap. Celtic are a little bit better.

That pretty much sums that game (and probably the season to come) up and whether the goal had come from a great piece of attacking or, as in this case, from a total defensive howler, does it really matter?!

We created nothing all game and were relying on some pretty desperate defending at times. It always looked like they would manage to get one at some point.

So Clangers completely missed a relatively simple ball, rather than letting one of the other couple of Commons' better shots get past him: Meh.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

:-\

Is it unrealistic to expect a supposed SPL quality keeper to save a simple, straight forward, power-less shot?

Goalies always get pelters... it comes with the job, BUT all of the SHITE that was aimed at Langfield is totally out of order. He made a mistake and has apologised - get over it!

We're one game in and the doom & gloom merchants are already at fever pitch.... Get a grip guys, there's a long way to go in this season!

Goalies always get pelters... it comes with the job, BUT all of the SHITE that was aimed at Langfield is totally out of order. He made a mistake and has apologised - get over it!

We're one game in and the doom & gloom merchants are already at fever pitch.... Get a grip guys, there's a long way to go in this season!

That's not the fucking point though! It was still a ridiculous error to make for a keeper playing in any league let a lone the highest one in the country. The fuck up was that bad I'm afraid. It's not a fuck up that I'm going to find it easy just to forget about.

That's not the fucking point though! It was still a ridiculous error to make for a keeper playing in any league let a lone the highest one in the country. The fuck up was that bad I'm afraid. It's not a fuck up that I'm going to find it easy just to forget about.

Dry yer eyes min. Clangers for Scotland!

Was thinking that myself. Went down in instalments trying to save it.

Seem to recall he threw it in the net in the 1/4 final and made it a much nervier end to the game than it should've been. Excellent pen save but was never confident in him for the rest of the season after the howler.

When Clangers was sick and there was all the good will towards him, it would've been the ideal time to get him back to fitness and then help him find a new club. Difficult situation but don't think it was well managed.

Both these guys are better than the other mongs we've had in recent years though so I hope there's a lot of research going into recruiting someone.

Is it unrealistic to expect a supposed SPL quality keeper to save a simple, straight forward, power-less shot?

Not at all, but the number of misplaced passes, poor touches and 'eye-off-the-ball' moments that pepper our performances all over the pitch make crucifying Langfield seem a bit extreme.

If folks want to see players that never (or only very rarely) make mistakes, they will need to start supporting Barcelona and not an SPL team.

At the level we are at, with the money we have and the limited cachet of playing for the Dons these days, any keeper that makes it through an SPL season without a howler or two is pretty much guaranteed to be playing (or bench-warming) in the Championship or League 1 the season after.

Sad but true.

:

Not at all, but the number of misplaced passes, poor touches and 'eye-off-the-ball' moments that pepper our performances all over the pitch make crucifying Langfield seem a bit extreme.

If folks want to see players that never (or only very rarely) make mistakes, they will need to start supporting Barcelona and not an SPL team.

At the level we are at, with the money we have and the limited cachet of playing for the Dons these days, any keeper that makes it through an SPL season without a howler or two is pretty much guaranteed to be playing (or bench-warming) in the Championship or League 1 the season after.

Sad but true.

:

Completely agree, sentiments similar to my earlier post.

What's your thoughts though on the regularity of these blunders and the fact he is visibly way short of the confidence he once showed?

Sad but true.

:

Stubo, I've defended the position of Langfield for some time, perhaps a little too long in retrospect.

The team in general isn't great, they do make mistakes but as btr has referred to, Langfield is not quite where he was a couple of years back where your argument was similar to mine ie for the money we're paying we probably can't expect better. That boat has sailed, particularly when a keeper that is by no means exceptional is a better option. I think we can do better than either of them.