Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

AFC STILL officially say NO TO HUNS NEW CO

If there is a reorganised league structure with regional leagues and promotion and demotion throughout the league structure then sevco 5088 should start at the very bottom, not SFL3.

True

However they might rearrange things once seveco are already in div3, ie start of 2013/14 which could see div3 champs in tier 2.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres an interesting fact that perhaps reveals how the SPL as an entity affects Scottish football.

Since the SPL's inception. The Scotland national team has not qualified for the finals of a major tournament.

I realise there are other mitigating factors, but it appears that the very structure of our national sport is at best inadequate and at worst damaging the long term prospects of the game.

The current SPL structure has to go.

Correct, but in addition, it is the advent of the mass of TV coverage, and those who covet it, that is to blame for most of football's ills.  Football has become a microcosm of all that is wrong with capitalism in general.  The rich buy the best and the poor have to scrape by.  We absolutely have to prevent the incessant squandering of 8-figure transfer fees and intergalactical salaries.  The Football business has become corrupt the whole way through as everyone battles to survive.  Even those perceived to be rich (Real Madrid, Manchester Utd et al) are struggling to survive within the constraints they have set themselves within.  The needs and desires of the old firm have been different to those of the rest of us and there needs to be a year zero.  Celtic now need to realise that they have to proceed with the same means as the rest of us or else they ought to be next to disappear.  The SPL or whatever it re-brands as cannot ever compete in the race to the top in TV, sponsorship or branding.  The game is now truly global and I think it is only a matter of time before domestic leagues are truly relegated to history.

All changes have to be approved by SPL and SFL clubs over the next few days. The plans require the support of eight SPL clubs and a majority of SFL clubs to be passed.

So rather than a vote to reject newco to the SPL, the clubs are now voting to punt them to division 1?  If that is the case, I think we need some clarification on how AFC are going to vote.  If they vote yes to this proposal then heads should roll.

Just got a reply from Dave McDermid.  Should be on official site too although not checked:

Following the BBC report today in regards to plans for Rangers NewCo to enter Division One Chairman Stewart Milne stated "The statement that I issued on Monday was both clear and unambiguous and for the avoidance of any doubt I will restate it. Rangers NewCo should apply to the SFA for admission and apply direct to the SFL in the same way that any other new club would do. This is and remains our club’s absolute position.”

Yeah but I smell a rat considering Rod "Sporting Integrity" Petrie has already briefed Green on the plan, so I worry we are getting taken for a ride by the SPL.  I would love to be proved wrong though.

The cynic in me agrees with this. I always thought that was missing from the original statement. The fact I specifically mentioned the bottom tier of professional football in my email to the club, it comes as no surprise that I yet to receieve a reply. Hopefully im wrong though.

I'd be more confident that the matter is to do with SFA/SFL and that SPL have stood their ground and closed that particular chapter, if what is reported would at least say "direct entry to the SFL 1" rather than continually refer to "immediate relegation to SFL 1" in the same articles where it mentions SPL clubs "rejecting" newco's admission to the SPL. Then it'd be a case of SFA/SFL answering the simple question of how they can justify a new team not only undergoing no competition in terms of bidding for a vacancy in the professional set up, but skipping half the leagues within it!

The manner in which the story is being reported points to (either) total ineptitude from those commentating on the story, or(/and) a case of corruption from the clubs/footballing authorities to not only throw the rulebook out the window for the mythical cash cow that is rangers (zombified), but to try and cover it up with weasel words and a poorly stage-managed PR song and dance.

My only hope is that after marching season is over, the authorities suddenly come out and clarify the matter in a way that serves both sporting integrity and basic law of the land.

With such a unique opportunity to improve Scottish football, it'd absolutely be the final straw to further rig the game in favour of the single biggest agent in some of Scotland's most horrendous and embarrassing problems.

Yet another email sent.

To late but feel I need to flood their inbox with something other than.....what you doing you utter cunting whores!?!GTYGUGFTYGV

Hi again

I may be premature, or indeed too late, but the reports that the SPL will now try to delay their vote on Newco Rangers entry, or otherwise, to the SPL, fills me with disgust.  I trust from Mr Milne's statements that this move has nothing to do with Aberdeen FC and if a delay is agreed I hope Mr Milne will publicly state his opposition and anger to this move.

With all the claims of financial problems facing the game and the new season fast approaching further delay in making a decision regarding NewCo Rangers is unacceptable.  The SPL cannot abdicate responsibility to the SFL on this matter.  If the SPL, and afc, really believe that they and the game will suffer significantly by asking Newco to apply for Division 3 entry then they should elect them to the SPL.  If this happens I and 1000s of others will be seeking refunds on our STs and will leave top level Scottish Football for good.  This I believe is a very real prospect and likely to cause more long term damage to the league and game than anything Neil Doncaster et al have foreseen.

Scottish Football needs to get away from viewing a successful league as one that sees two teams battling it out for the title every year, 20-30pts ahead of the also rans who are there merely to make up the numbers.  This is not a league, this is not competition, this is just a money making scheme for two institutions who regularly bring shame on Scotland and the Scottish Football.

Having Newco enter Div 1 is even more farcical and the most blatant case of league fixing imaginable. Really what is the point in having them enter Div1 when no matter what happens during the season they will find themselves in the top league the following year? For that is surely what has to happen if we are to avoid the supposed financial Armageddon.

No Newco MUST apply for the 3rd Division at the very highest.  Scottish Football will suffer financially but it must re-align it self, stop depending on the money brought in by corrupt and sectarian institutions and facilitate real change, real competition and real integrity to the game.

The SPL and AFC need to take this lead NOW.

If they don't I will be encouraging the SFL to call the SPL bluff and get on with their competitive, fair and financially secure league without the corrupt institution that is the SPL, indeed I would probably urge AFC to join this league and leave the rest behind.

I have supported afc for nearly 30yrs and have had a season ticket since my student days.  I don't want to end that relationship now but if Scottish Football is intent on rigging the entire system to perpetuate the duopoly of rangers (sic) and celtic at any cost there is really no point in this game any more.

Good stuff GS, completely agree.

If some SPL teams might struggle financially without newco then so be it, but I can't see it being anything other than in AFC's interests to see them punted out to Division 3, or punted out all together.

As Celtic have gone disgracefully quiet, it's time for Aberdeen and (dare I say it) the likes of Hearts to take a lead in these matters, including putting a vote of no confidence in Doncaster on the table.