🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

6 Nations 2012

glasgow sheep

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sean Lineen given time would be a good appointment.

We're never going to be competitive again though. 2 professional teams with no grassroots is a joke. we're now seeing the long-term effects of that restructuring. Bizarrely the Welsh are thinking about going the same way.

It's a shite sport now anyway. it's not rugby it's just kicking practice for toffs.

I was just saying the same thing to a colleague of mine who is going to the England - All Blacks game next weekend Mav.  Although Ireland looked to have swept aside a decent Argie side on sat.  They seemed pretty comfortable throughout.

I'm surprised the Welsh are thinking about doing the same form of restructuring though, there was a big piece on 5live this morning about the lack of pro teams in Scotland.  How anyone thought that was a good idea is beyond me.

Due to the fact that my uncle had tickets that he wasn't going to use and my mither was quite keen on going, we ended up going to the Tonga game. Now, I have been to rugby before when Scotland played Italy a few years back. Played quite well, even scored a few tries! I was bored to tears at that so I didn't hold out much hope for this game and it didn't fail to deliver. Holy fucking hell, I was bored. Bored to absolute tears. It is one of the few sports thats actually better to watch on TV IMO. No atmosphere, no singing and nothing happening on the pitch. We left at 16:15 as it was more of an endurance rather than anything else. I ken it was a shite game anyway but I think that's it for me and live rugby.

Actually quite glad Robinson has left. The current Scotland squad doesnt deserve a coach as experienced as Robinson. I thought the guys played admirably vs the All Blacks (except for that crazy 20 minute spell in the first half), and they managed to adapt to South Africa's smash'n'grab style very well.

But the manner of the Tonga defeat was just despicable, those guys dont deserve to wear the Scotland jersey. There's surely got to be better options than the powder-puff Laidlaw. FIVE years since centre Sean Lamont has scored! Five years!!! That's ridiculous for a centre!

Scottish Rugby needs a big clearout and restart from the beginning again. I saw attempts a few years to create a professional team in Aberdeen, with Sir Ian Wood being one of the major investors. There were even rumours going around that All Black Jerome Kaino was being lined up as the Aberdeen franchise's first major signing. Dunno what happened to this, but it's pretty obvious that Scotland needs more than two professional clubs.

Actually quite glad Robinson has left. The current Scotland squad doesnt deserve a coach as experienced as Robinson. I thought the guys played admirably vs the All Blacks (except for that crazy 20 minute spell in the first half), and they managed to adapt to South Africa's smash'n'grab style very well.

But the manner of the Tonga defeat was just despicable, those guys dont deserve to wear the Scotland jersey. There's surely got to be better options than the powder-puff Laidlaw. FIVE years since centre Sean Lamont has scored! Five years!!! That's ridiculous for a centre!

Scottish Rugby needs a big clearout and restart from the beginning again. I saw attempts a few years to create a professional team in Aberdeen, with Sir Ian Wood being one of the major investors. There were even rumours going around that All Black Jerome Kaino was being lined up as the Aberdeen franchise's first major signing. Dunno what happened to this, but it's pretty obvious that Scotland needs more than two professional clubs.

the glasgow and edinburgh players are centally contracted to the sru, so they couldn't afford a third team. and they'd never allow an external franchise to come about because any profits made wouldn't go to the sru, and any success would show the sru to be utterly incompetent - which they are. aside from that, the independent franchise wouldn't be admitted to play in any of the professional leagues because the sru would threaten to quit.

the reason they went with this clusterfuck of a situation was the formation of the heineken cup making the sru think scots teams couldn't compete against the french/ english. other than a very rare occasion they very probably couldn't, but they'd still have a meaningful existence and a domestic product, with families and communities and grassroots development as a part of the fabric of the clubs. the franchises offer nothing, and after more than a decade, they still can't compete in europe - can't even win the celtic/italian league.

there is no alternative to the current scotland squad because since this system was put in place we've produced no talent bar maybe 2 or 3 players. even before, the clubs' young players were always overlooked by international scouts because it was easier to take the players their friends at the private schools sent them, but there was at least an alternative route to the top. now there's not so we're reaping what the sru have sown.

andy robinson did a far better job than i expected him to to be fair to him. but with scotland there's a massive handicap against progress. sean lineen might get us punching above our weight for a bit.

• 1 month later...

I was pleasantly surprised by Scotland yesterday, it was nowhere near as bad as I feared it would be.  Some good play and nice to see the line outs being won again.  A lot of work to do, but there were a lot of positives to take from the performance yesterday.  I think that England side will struggle if Ireland played the way they did in the first half. 

As a side note, Ashton is still a cunt.  I wish someone would break him, if only to get him off the tv screen.

Was quite impressed with Scotland's performance on sat, easily the most entertaining game of the weekend.  We look good going forward, still plenty of mistakes but it's all very encouraging.

It disgusts me that England could seal this at a canter.  The press down here are going to be unbearable.

Was at Murrayfield and it was a great game, Hoggs try was fantastic with the interception to stop the Italians scoring then running the length of the park. Atmosphere was actually better than normal but it is still a waste for rugby fans - would be amazing to watch the football team play there. Also it is great to be allowed to have a couple of drinks during the game and for stewards to treat you with respect and be friendly.

Was quite impressed with Scotland's performance on sat, easily the most entertaining game of the weekend.  We look good going forward, still plenty of mistakes but it's all very encouraging.

It disgusts me that England could seal this at a canter.  The press down here are going to be unbearable.

I'm surprised you say that manc, thought we drastically cut down on the mistakes on Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...