Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Darren Mackie 355 appearances for the dons

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

DARREN MACKIE says he rejected a move to Dundee because he wants to end the season a Scottish Cup winner with Aberdeen.

Dens Park manager Barry Smith has made two bids for the striker.

Mackie's contract is up in the summer and he knows his 13-year Dons career is coming to an end — but he insists he has unfinished business to take care of before he leaves Pittodrie.

That means rounding off his testimonial year in style with a Hampden Park date and open top bus ride down Union Street with the Scottish Cup. Mackie admitted: "I was flattered to get the offer from Dundee.

"My contract is coming to an end but if I don't get a new one here then I want the chance to end my time here by winning a trophy.

"It's so long since we won a cup, to do that as an Aberdeen player would mean everything to me.

"I have been a supporter all my life and I know how much it means to all the fans to win a trophy again after all these years.

"As long as I've been at Aberdeen I have wanted to bring silverware to the club and the chance is still there to do that. I was in the stands watching the last time we were in a final but I was just breaking through to the first team so I wasn't involved.

"That's why it would be the perfect way to round off my testimonial year with the club with an appearance at Hampden and hopefully lift the Cup.

"I have wanted to play more but I am as positive and determined as ever that I can force my way back into the side to finish the season on a high."

The closest Mackie came to a final was four years ago when Aberdeen lost 4-3 to Queen of the South in the semis — now Queens stand between Dons and a last eight place tomorrow. He added: "That defeat was one of the biggest blows of my entire career as it was a massive chance to get to a final.

"Jimmy Calderwood was manager, we let him down, we let ourselves down and we let everyone associated with the club down.

"It wasn't the best of days as I was disappointed not to start as I had got our winner at Celtic Park in the previous round.

"I did get on as a sub but it was one of those days where everything that could go wrong for us did go wrong and it was a huge blow.

"What that proves is that anything can happen, it is a warning to make sure our levels don't slip."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4105619/Im-staying-for-Dons-cup-medal.html#ixzz1lIodTESi

ach he should have gone. He's hopefully not going to get much game time or a new deal with us so it would have been good for his career to move on. I appreciate he's a fan, but he's been in the team throughout these embarrassing years. Surely getting some game time is better than sitting on the bench?

ach he should have gone.

Correct. I wish the guy no ill at all, it's just way past the time to move on. He's become the personification of Aberdeen FC over the years and that isn't a good thing. It's easy to be a good servant to a club when you know you're pretty ding but still picking up a good wage. The fact the club as a whole has accepted this level of player (and some levels below too) is one of the reasons we've been so depressingly awful for years.

As I said, I wish him no ill, i just don't really care what he does as long as it's not at Aberdeen FC.

Correct. I wish the guy no ill at all, it's just way past the time to move on. He's become the personification of Aberdeen FC over the years and that isn't a good thing. It's easy to be a good servant to a club when you know you're pretty ding but still picking up a good wage. The fact the club as a whole has accepted this level of player (and some levels below too) is one of the reasons we've been so depressingly awful for years.

As I said, I wish him no ill, i just don't really care what he does as long as it's not at Aberdeen FC.

Excellent Post.

+1

Someone with more proffessional pride would have taken the move to Dundee, imo. He is clearly happy sitting on the bench at Aberdeen, getting a decent wage. Doesn't want to drop down a level where people would actually expect him to do well.

Someone with more proffessional pride would have taken the move to Dundee, imo. He is clearly happy sitting on the bench at Aberdeen, getting a decent wage. Doesn't want to drop down a level where people would actually expect him to do well.

An aberdeen fan is going to choose to play for dundee, rather than believe in himself and want to do the business at afc for as long as they give him the chance?

mackie is not a gifted player, but under mcghee he was literally the only player putting in any effort most of the time.

i do think the injury last season made him a liability physically, but if we're going to win the cup i can't see us doing it without a wild deflection off mackie's backside.