Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Should we punt Craig Brown?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16040449.stm

But no-one says we've played the top three twice - we're the only team who have done that.

No-one says that we've a game in hand, and if we draw it, we won't be bottom of the league

We've had horrendous injury troubles and suspensions, but there's no reason for me to make any excuses

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having watched the efforts of other Mangers who appear on their feet encouraging their teams (McIntyre and Butcher as those who lie worryingly ahead of us do), it's obvious that Brown, despite his undoubted qualities, is lacking in the ability to show the same passion and drive as others.

He pretty much constantly sits in the dugout and I think this transmits on to the, and I use the word advisedly, players.

Right now, I'd get rid of Miller, put Broon upstairs and perhaps consider bringing in JC and Derek Adams until the end of the season at the very least.

Of all the protagonists, we'll not see the back of Milne until he's had his way with the whole bulldoze/build/stadium build plan that he clearly has, but frankly, Miller has done nothing with his part in our history to suggest he's doing anything other than taking the coin. Frankly, he should be out peddling his part in why the club is part of the fabric of the area to the likes of Trump and the sector suppliers that provide Aberdeen with it's status as one of the wealthiest parts of the UK.

Rant over.

Very good post dunblanedon. I was thinking along the same lines although voted keep till January but fear it may be too late then. Im a little bit wary of having some one back at the club but certainly Adams being an assistant with view to taking over permanently wouldn't be a bad thing.

Not veering too far from TC's point.. why would JC come back? I know it's not going to happen anyway but even if he was offered a role up to the end of the season why would he take it? I know he's desperate for a job but I'd still be surprised if he'd agree to that.

Wouldn't be against the changes suggested by dunblanedon TBH be honest.

As a club, I think we now have to be very careful. We are getting such a bad name with how we treat managers. The Pittodrie "revolving door" is becoming increasingly wider knowledge.

Turfing yet another management team isnt the answer. I think in the upcoming AGM some hard questions need to be put to oue esteemed board of directors. Even, if it could be organised through the sheer, utter apathy something along the lines of:

We as fans ands supporters believe that Aberden Football Club has previously been mis-managed and believe it continues to be so, having after 15 years in charge nothing of any consequence had materialised in your (Mr. Milne's) tenure except an ever reducing standard of playing staff and an ever increasing debt, with the laughable plan of plunging the Club into a huge deficit of circa 30 million pounds. As the current financial climate shows, this is not prudent, nor "building for the future". We as fans will continue to refuse to attend games until either

1) There is wholesale change to the buisness model, utilising potential funding streams from around the Aberdeen area. (One of the weathiest in Europe) and director membership of the board.

2)Mr. Milne's shares are put up for sale as recognition of his failed tenure as gaurdian of Aberdeen Football Club.

A bad name for how we treat managers?

McGhee - Even he admits he deserved to be binned, he should have been gone sooner.

Calderwood - Awarded new contracts and increased budget quite a few times after failures - 5 year tenure.

Paterson - Had to let him go as he was a jakey.

Skovdahl - Some awful seasons but backed by fans and board

Miller - Again no argument

That takes us back to the mid 90s.

Not veering too far from TC's point.. why would JC come back? I know it's not going to happen anyway but even if he was offered a role up to the end of the season why would he take it? I know he's desperate for a job but I'd still be surprised if he'd agree to that.

Wouldn't be against the changes suggested by dunblanedon TBH be honest.

Tyrant. I spend a very interesting evening with JC in September and was really surprised to find that not only is he a decent bloke, but he actually give a chuff about the Dons.

Despite the misgivings of many, the reason for his departure was down to his views not being shared by 'his pal' Miller.

His role for me would be to get players passionate about playing again and help us stay up, get Adams to grips with the SPL and mentor him through the first season.

Since the end of February under the glorious leadership of CB we have only won 21% of our games. Alex Miller was sacked for 25% win rate. The loss rate since then is 54%, McGhee was sacked for a 52% loss rate.

Not that I'm defending Brown, but why have you chosen the end of February as your start point?

A bad name for how we treat managers?

McGhee - Even he admits he deserved to be binned, he should have been gone sooner.

Calderwood - Awarded new contracts and increased budget quite a few times after failures - 5 year tenure.

Paterson - Had to let him go as he was a jakey.

Skovdahl - Some awful seasons but backed by fans and board

Miller - Again no argument

That takes us back to the mid 90s.

Yes a bad name. We are a laughing stock and pricks like daily retard journo's are loving every minute of it.

Whether you agree or not, three managers we have had have been decent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebbe_Skovdahl

Ebbe, Calderwod and Brown, all decent managers spanning Milne's tenure. If a manager who has won 4 league titles in Denmark and three cups and a manager who last took his national team into the last international finals that we can remember cant produce a moddicum of success with AFC who have the privelage of being the only SPL team in the third largest city in Scotland then quite simply, despite one or two awful managerial appointments ("that cunt" miller and Paterson, who, to be fair looked like the next Derek Adams at the time) I refuse to fully blame the managers totally.

Something is endemically wrong wityh AFC and the only constants in this fucking dreadful episode of the clubs history has been mr. Milne and Mr. Miller.  I fully believe that we are being killed off by these two ego's, hellbent on creating some kind of legacy.

Well the only legacy that is coming thier way is the death of once apon a time Scotland's third team.

Not that I'm defending Brown, but why have you chosen the end of February as your start point?

Totally to make the stats look bad  :thumbsup: But also there seemed to be a turning point then.

We had a good run out with 3 losses to Celtic until the end of February.  For instance we won the same amount of games in January & February as we have in March, April, May, July, August, September, October, November and now into December.

Clipboard01-26.jpg

257Football / Aberdeen Football Club / Re: If Our Manager Wasn't Mark McGhee...

Quote from: Labirinth7 on April 12, 2010, 01:15:05 AM

This mess is completely the board of directors fault.  We had assembled a great squad in 06/07 which went on to finish 3rd.  They then cashed in to the first bidders and have chronically underinvested since. Its not MM or JC's fault.  The current predicament is a result of cutbacks to wages. 

I only wish that the board had given JC the near million quid it cost to repace him to spend on players last summer. I think we would then have been looking forward to europe again next season.

Déjà vu folks?

Yay. someone gets it!

This is the AFC way. If the rumblings of discontent get too loud. our intrepid board of directors take the short term option time and time again.  They sack the manager. Twenty years this has been the cycle of failure,

League position slips under current manager.

Red army get pissed off

board say they support the current emcumbment

Red army get more pissed off and moan louder about it

board say they support manager again BUT GIVE HIM NO MORE CASH TO WORK WITH

Relegation/embarassment looms. sacking

drag in new manager

Start at top

All this has been is a diversion from the utter ineptitude as to how this club is run.

So, he is therefore a scapegoat

I posted the above a year ago. So folks, where are we in the "AFC cycle of dispair" this year?

I reckon  we are about to get the first Milne special-"The manager boys deein fine the noo, he hiz the full backing of the board". while we lose a few more points between now and the new year. The evil mutterings will get a bitty louder whilst attendances drop.

better? :thumbsup:

Aye  :thumbsup:

I see where you are coming from, how can you say McGhee and now Brown hold no culpability for the situation we are in now. Yes we could splash more cash but already we have far bigger budget than the majority of teams and still find ourselves skulking around at the relegation zone.

I went for January, but that may change after this weekend.  In our next 5 games we have St Mirren (H), St Johnstone (A), Hibs (H), ICT (A) and Hearts (H).  Any kind of decent result on the weekend, and we go in to a run of winnable fixtures with our tails up a bit at least.  Lose or draw, and it can just continue a bad run.

Brown has disappointed me.  After identifying the major weaknesses in our team early last season, he fell in to the same trap as McGhee.  Foster and Jack are both capable full backs in my opinion, but to have them as your first two and no back-ups of note was a woeful decision.  Same with overloading our midfield with central midfielders if we are unwilling to move from 4-4-2. 

That said, who is to replace him?  Can only be someone out of work in my opinion.  Who in a comfortable job would be stupid enough to take on the poisoned chalice.  Umpteen managers leaving Aberdeen with their career in tatters is surely something to take note of.  I would question the sanity of anyone who comes in here under Milne's stewardship as they will achieve fuck all.  The managers who have achieved what could be described as relative success in the last 15 years have had what reputation they had (if any) ruined.

What are tools is a new manager going to have?  Does Milne increase the budget in January again to help ensure safety, just to reduce it again next summer?  Does paying off another management team reduce any funds available in January (if there are any at all)?

Punting Brown is part of any long term solution.  He was a short term solution that was meant to provide a sound base for his successor to build on.  Obviously he is not succeeding in this and he is not going to turn that round in the 18 months he has left, before he'd surely be looking to retiring.

I am just rambling now, but it is indicative of the state Aberdeen FC is in.  A War and Peace sized effort could be written on what has gone wrong at Aberdeen over the last 15-20 years and the current mess it is in.

In short though, I have Brown getting a handful of games to prove that the comments/excuses he is making week after week are in fact true and that he is capable of making something out of this season.  Or it will be jotters for him (definitely by AGM time)...

A War and Peace sized effort could be written on what has gone wrong at Aberdeen over the last 15-20 years and the current mess it is in.

I could do it in less words than the title War and Peace. Stewrat Milne.

When a man in power convinces others of his genuine intent for the collective, where that agenda is clearly and exclusively personal, then the others are to blame. Their gullibility and stupidity is not an excuse for Milne's crookedness but it is the reason why the collective has headed south.

Aye  :thumbsup:

I see where you are coming from, how can you say McGhee and now Brown hold no culpability for the situation we are in now. Yes we could splash more cash but already we have far bigger budget than the majority of teams and still find ourselves skulking around at the relegation zone.

My point is actually the opposite. I believe that we are in now such a mess that we are beyond last minute transfer splurges. In fact, if money does become available in, say January, the question (which was asked post Euro run with calderwood)  WHY THE FUCK DOES THIS CASH NOT BECOME AVAILABLE TO GIVE THE MANAGER A FIGHTING CHANCE IN THE CLOSE SEASON TRANSFER MARKET? Instead of grubbing around in second, third or fourth choices?

But like I say, as you point out mizer. we already have the third (or whatever) biggest budget outside the old firm, so its not just about money is it?