Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Brown for Northern Ireland Job

Know I shouldn't bother given the source (today's Retard) and not a single quote....in fact pretty much just another hack taking the opportunity to put the boot into us off the back of sensationalist headlines.

================================================

PRESSURE piled on Aberdeen last night when Craig Brown was revealed as a target for Northern Ireland.

The Irish want the Dons boss to put them on the road to the 2014 World Cup.

They aren't fazed by the fact Brown will be 74 when the tournament kicks off in Brazil because they want Motherwell skipper Stephen Craigan to inherit the job in the long term - and have identified the former Scotland manager as his mentor.

Nigel Worthington yesterday announced he is to quit the Northern Ireland job after their final Euro 2012 qualifier in Italy tonight.

Attendances at Pittodrie this season have plunged as Aberdeen toil.

Last month they were humbled by Second Division East Fife in the League Cup and they are ninth in the SPL - just a point clear of rock-bottom Inverness - with only two wins from their 10 games so far.

They could lose an entire team at the end of the season but Brown swears he isn't worried - because he reckons no one has money to snap up his out-of-contract players.

Scott Vernon, Jamie Langfield, Rory McArdle, Darren Mackie, Youl Mawene, Isaac Osbourne, Andrew Considine, Kari Arnason, Josh Magennis, Mohamed Chalali and Yoann Folly are in the final years of their deals and free to talk to clubs in January.

But Brown said: "I don't see any movement in January as very few clubs have funds to buy players in that window.

"You can see that all the way up to Rangers at the top of the SPL. There is no one out there who is likely to buy a player in January.

"I hope Vernon wants to stay. He is a very good finisher and I have already said he can be a 20-goals-a-season striker.

"However, my main priority at the moment is to get the team up the table."

But Aberdeen's troubles haven't put the IFA off Brown, the last man to steer Scotland to a major finals.

During his eight years in charge, he took the national side to Euro 96 and the World Cup in France in 1998.

Last season, he joined Aberdeen from Motherwell where he worked with Craigan.

The 34-year-old defender quit playing for Northern Ireland in July, having earned 54 caps.

The IFA insist they will make no formal moves until after a board meeting later this month.

But last night president Jim Shaw said: "Stephen Craigan is in the mix and we won't be ruling anyone in or out at this stage."

As well as Brown and Craigan, a string of candidates for the job have emerged.

Martin O'Neill, former Brechin boss Michael O'Neill, Jim Magilton and Walter Smith are among the names in the frame and ex-Northern Ireland striker Ian Dowie admits he wants the hotseat.

Dowie hasn't managed since he failed to keep Hull in the Premier League at the end of season 2009-10.

He said: "The proudest moment of my playing career was captaining my country and I'm always happy to help."

Keeper Maik Taylor, who will start against Italy for what is likely to be a farewell appearance at the age of 40, spoke up for Worthington on behalf of the squad.

He said: "You won't find a player with a bad word to say about Nigel. He was very open-minded and always looked for feedback to see where we could improve as a team.

"You know how small the pool of players is and I don't think he could have done any more than he's done.

"Whoever comes in is going to have to call on a lot of younger players to step up earlier than they may have hoped."

Really? Given his age it wouldn't be a surprise to me if he left.

I honestly think he'd have gone after East Fife if he was going to go. As well as East Fife he's had ample other opportunities to can it and no one would have been one bit surprised, but he's stuck it out.  his age is possibly a reason for staying... why start again somewhere else at that age? Can look at that both ways.

I honestly think he'd have gone after East Fife if he was going to go. As well as East Fife he's had ample other opportunities to can it and no one would have been one bit surprised, but he's stuck it out.  his age is possibly a reason for staying... why start again somewhere else at that age? Can look at that both ways.

This is a bit different if he has actually been offered the job.

True, I think if he's leaving and making us money as well as settling down to a slower pace of life and not having to deal with our dickhead fans.

This is a bit different if he has actually been offered the job.

True, I think if he's leaving and making us money as well as settling down to a slower pace of life and not having to deal with our dickhead fans.

To deal with dickhead Nothern Ireland fans instead, booing their own players on grounds of religion and the like, death threats to their own players etc.  Pittodrie's a walk in the park compared to that pish.

Craig Brown rubbishes link with Irish job

‘I’m totally committed to Aberdeen FC’

Published: 11/10/2011

ABERDEEN FC boss Craig Brown today dismissed speculation that he’s poised to become the next manager of Northern Ireland.

It was reported that the Irish FA want Brown to succeed Nigel Worthington, who is stepping down after tonight’s Euro 2012 qualifier in Italy.

Brown said: “The story is complete and utter rubbish.

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/2472035

So, that's him away then...  ::)