Saturday 26th October 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Dundee Utd

Willie Miller urges Aberdeen fans to lay off skipper Richard Foster

mizer

WILLIE MILLER last night pleaded with the Red Army rebels to give new Aberdeen skipper Richard Foster a break.

The defender was involved in an angry bust-up with fans on Dons' tour of Germany after being abused because he joined bitter rivals Rangers on loan last season.

But Pittodrie legend and football development chief Miller has called for unity among the Aberdeen faithful with the new SPL season just around the corner.

He said: "Hearing Richard receive abuse from a small number of fans at last week's match against Bochum was disappointing.

"The club's new captain was criticised for going on loan to Rangers last season but that was something the previous manager Mark McGhee decided he wanted to do.

"Richard had a stint away at Rangers but not through his own choice.

"Players like Richard and Darren Mackie sometimes get a bit of stick but the fans should realise the club can't have a team without guys like them.

"They are Aberdeen through and through. I hope our fans will be united behind every player in the squad next season.

"Richard came through our development system, from youth ranks to first team. We are hoping these types will make up the bulk of our squad because homegrown talents who have been with this club for years are so important.

"The last thing they need is to feel alienated. We hope to encourage these players to stay at Pittodrie and give us good service. To do that, they need to feel wanted by the fans.

"Richard has been here for more than a decade. He has come through the ranks to be captain of Aberdeen.

"I'm sure the majority of fans realise the importance of developing players such as Richard and keeping them.

"My appeal to the fans is to rally round to make sure they are backing every player in the squad - in particular the homegrown talents."

Meanwhile, Aberdeen boss Craig Brown has insisted he won't be rushed into making new signings.

Brown said: "I would rather make no signing than a bad one. I won't rush into getting a player I'm not convinced could improve the squad.

"I'm only interested in players better than those already here.

"Ideally, everything would be in place before the season gets underway but in reality that's not always possible.

"The transfer window doesn't shut until the end of August so I won't dive in to making moves for the sake of it."