Wednesday 15th May 2024:  kick-off 7.45pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Livingston

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Clangers

I'll reserve judgment till we're playing in a high pressure game with lots at stake. that's generally when Clangers comes into his own. you know, something Like a semi final.

Glad he's been better than usual of late, but if a chance of a decent keeper came up at any point, we should jump at it.

JL would be a decent number 2 to have around.

I don't understand this? He's been as bad as he's ever been for us. I can't think of a single save he's made that another mediocre keeper wouldn't have made.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand this? He's been as bad as he's ever been for us. I can't think of a single save he's made that another mediocre keeper wouldn't have made.

Langfield had 2 or 3 alone against St Mirren and several more against United. Whether or not another keeper, mediocre or otherwise, would have made them is pretty irrelevant as we won't know. The fact is Langfield did and it would be difficult to find goals Langfield has been responsible for recently.

I'm saying this from the perspective of someone who would be happier with someone else in the long term ie next season starting as No.1. Him and the defence aren't doing at all badly as they are.

But when there's mistakes made (and there will be) the "I told you he wis shite" folks are always ready. There have been plenty made right in front of Langfield that have resulted in goals in recent weeks. 

Langfield is not good enough. Yeah he might be having a few good weeks etc but there are still basic inadequacies of his game that if he hasn't sorted now, he never will. His command of his box is terrible, his kicking is erratic, his positioning at times is shocking and he doesn't exert any confidence in the defence. I don't think it is a coiencidence that the defence has improved with the return of Anderson. In fact, I think Anderson is the one factor that has actually ended up with us having a organised and proper defence for the first time since he left! I mean, you don't give your keeper the nickname 'Clangers' for nothing!

He is a good shot stopper but so is half the keepers in the SPL. I would hope at least that Brown and Knox are actively searching for another keeper to challenge and/or replace Langfield, especially with that clown Brown in reserve. That said though, it really shows just the difference in attitude and determination between the pair after what Langfield's been through and how he conducted himself when returning to the team and what Brown has done after getting dropped. And for that, I can only applaud Langfield. However, getting a new goalkeeper in is a priority and we shouldn't all get on our high horse after Langfield has done ok for half a dozen games this season.

I agree that January is probably not the best time for a change, regarding money and whether we can get better in January but certainly if the opportunity arose to get someone better either immediately or on a pre-contract then we must take it.

Who's on a high horse?

As an aside, Anderson has improved the team but he's sold a couple of goals too.

Im no saying he hasn't. I'm just saying that I don't think it's a coincidence that we look much stronger defensively and we actually look a strong, hard to beat unit at the back when Anderson has returned. Langfield has certainly benefitted from that.

Benefitted definitely but he's contributed too.

Again, I'm not saying he hasn't. However, his basic weaknesses will still cost us. Fair enough, he's a decent enough shot stopper but is that enough?

I'm not on this so called brigade of jumping on his every mistake etc but I am on the brigade of that he is not good enough and we should be looking for better. Every mistake just confirms this for me.

no keepers in the spl are "good enough" bar maybe Forster. The standard of keepers in the league even compared to a couple of years ago has gone rapidly downhill. We've not only kept the same keeper, but he's upped his game in general so that we're actually relatively much better off than we used to be.

this boils down to people setting their stall out in respect of expressing a particular opinion, then stubbornly refusing to accept the validity of new evidence to the contrary. Exactly the same was true with Bebo and it's immensely boring.

When Clangers, makes a mistake (as all keepers do now and then), like on the opening day of the season, I don't hide from the fact that it's a fuck up and it's one for the detractors to pounce on, but I equally don't make OTT generalisations like folk who suggest that we're fucked with him in goals. We have a team on the pitch that fully deserve our support this year and he's a massive part of that.

A new first choice keeper is important for the longer term but it is far from a priority. We need a RB and a striker.