Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

New singing section

The Dons have confirmed an area of Pittodrie Stadium will be designated a 'singing section' from the start of the forthcoming season.

An area within the upper section of the Richard Donald Stand has been allocated for those interested which, depending on numbers, can be extended while, if the initiative is a success, the concept of a permanent 'singing' area within the new stadium at Loirston Loch will be investigated.

A Pittodrie spokesperson outlined the details. "The Club is naturally keen to work with supporters in any way practical in order to generate a better atmosphere during matches and we held extremely positive discussions with the group who are keen to have their own area within the stadium.

"We would wish to attract supporters of all ages to the singing area and those within will 'self police' proceedings ensuring that songs or chants of an inappropriate nature are not being included in the repertoire.

"At the outset, the section at one side of the RDS Upper will be offered for the area and, if there is sufficient interest, that area can be extended. That particular area of the stadium is arguably the most vociferous within Pittodrie and, if the initiative is really successful, it is hoped the whole of the RDS Upper will, in effect, become the 'singing area'.

"And with the move to the new stadium, where the creation of the right atmosphere is one of the cornerstones of its design, not that far away, the plan would be to incorporate a similar area, ideally behind one of the goals, from day one."

Season tickets for the singing area are now on sale while anyone wishing to transfer to the area from another part of the stadium can do so via the ticket office. Any fan wishing to purchase a ticket for the area on a match by match basis must pre-purchase their brief from the ticket office.

:thumbsup:

Pile of nonsense.

There will be fuck all singing unless the product on the pitch improves.

But its the kind of thing the supporters committee end up asking for, and the club have answered them! As much as its a pile of shite we canna criticise the club for doing what they were asked to do, even if the request was daft in the first place!

Upper Dick Donald stand singing area. That's where the best noise is anyway, before they make it a singing area and try and take credit for it! I would much prefer them to be looking into a standing area for the die hards to go. Even intertwine the two?

Upper Dick Donald stand singing area. That's where the best noise is anyway, before they make it a singing area and try and take credit for it! I would much prefer them to be looking into a standing area for the die hards to go. Even intertwine the two?

The noise just goes out to nothing up there though. It'd be better in the Merkie.

Would have been far better in the south and twice as good in the Merkland (obviously that's not going to happen since it would involve shifting the family section) but it's a good start and it's encouraging to see that the club are actually engaging the fans in a positive way again, especially after the whole debacle involving shifting the Ultras/RA12 or whatever they're known as these days.

bravoclap.gif

It's a positive step made by the club, and I applaud them for it. Shame it's probably in the worst location for it, but that may have been political in itself. Merkie would have been perfect, or right on the picket line in the south so when the camaras are there, it sounds like there are more than just sea gulls there.

Ha ha. When they say its for all ages its a bit Daft. I find that sometimes i have to curb what i am singing depending where i am sitting and to whom next. I don't like singing some o the songs if i am sittin next to a family. I know the parents shouldn't let there kids go to a singing area if they know the songs but . . . ! I just wonder if this has a bit to do with the backlash of the sectarian singing and hoping we can police ourself from singing some of our, lets say, not so PC songs?

Maybe I sit at the wrong bit but I don't think I've ever heard any 'not so PC' songs at Pittodrie from the home fans. In fact the only 'not PC songs' I've heard dons fans sing have been at Ibrox.

The noise just goes out to nothing up there though. It'd be better in the Merkie.

Completely agree. Whilst the RDU does make a noise, it just goes out to where no ears are, thus sounding shite on the tele/radio.

I've said for years we should shift the away fans to the Merkland, make the entire South Stand a home-support stand, and house this other singing section at the corner of the RDS/South.

I disagree on moving the away fans to the merkland. Apart from it being a complete police/ stewarding nightmare (More than half the turnstiles for the 8-9000 capacity south stand are on merkland road. That would rule out home fans using Merkland road and a large chunk of king street to get there) the low roof I suspect would have the same accoustics as 'the shed' at tannadice boosting noise for all away fans. Plus it only holds just over 3000 so the sudkurve or part of the main stand would need to be given over to the Old Firm.

The view from the current away section is pretty shite and almost 1/3 of it is open to the elements so as far as im concerned they can stay there.

The family section needs shifted and quick. Im fed up of seeing us score at that end only for a completely shite response from the fans. Makes me even sicker when I watch Hewitts goal in 83 and see what is used to be like.

see this vid for an example. You'd think the celtic & United games were friendlies looking at the merkland