🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons v Helen 15/01/11

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scotland on Sunday match report:

Aberdeen 2 - 0 St Mirren: Chris Maguire magic rouses Dons as revolution continues

Published Date: 16 January 2011

By Scott Davie

at Pittodrie

Craig Brown has produced the football equivalent of turning water into wine as Aberdeen have now taken as many points in four games under their new manager as they did in 15 with Mark McGhee.

The real difference is that what appeared to be a feckless bunch of underachievers in danger of steering the club to relegation for the first time ever prior to Christmas, now look capable of mounting a challenge for a top-six finish.

After all, this result means they have moved from last place to a much more comfortable position, eight points clear of the bottom and within five points of sixth-placed Motherwell within the space of less than a month.

It's four wins and a draw when the Scottish Cup is factored in, and with a home draw against Dunfermline or Montrose next in that competition, and a Co-operative Insurance Cup semi-final meeting with Celtic at the end of the month, who would now bet against Brown ending Aberdeen's 11-year wait for an appearance in a final?

Keeping hold of Chris Maguire, at least until the end of the season, could be a major factor in that dream becoming a reality as the Scotland under 21 striker was the biggest influence in this victory, despite Scott Vernon's two goals. The absence of Paul Hartley through suspension and Sone Aluko through injury left the Dons devoid of much of their creativity but Maguire provided what was necessary, particularly in the second half. The player, who celebrates his 22nd birthday today, has been linked with a possible transfer before the end of the month as his current deal ends in the summer.

It was his drive, determination and ability that provided most of the highlights, like a first-half shot blocked by Lee Mair and the resulting corner Andrew Considine headed just over the crossbar. On several occasions he set up Ryan Jack but the teenage midfielder's finishing failed to match the rest of his play and it was left to Vernon to capitalise on Maguire's creativity.

Brown's tactical know-how saw him switch the striker to left midfield after a sterile opening half and it paid huge dividends.

A virus denied Nick Blackman a Dons debut but Vernon was undaunted and got the perfect tonic in 50 minutes when Maguire's trickery, followed by a driven shot, saw his colleague chest the ball home.

In 67 minutes Maguire did something equally impressive in the wide area and this time Vernon claimed his 12th goal of the season. Brown was delighted by the contribution of both his key men and said: "Without getting too carried away I thought we were the better side and deserved to win.

"We were pleased to get another three points. I was particularly pleased for Chris Maguire, whose birthday it is tomorrow. It was his last day as a 21-year-old and he created a couple of goals.

"I have to commend Scott Vernon as he has a stomach illness and lost half a stone in the last three or four days. We thought he might manage a half or an hour but such is his determination he played the entire match."

How St Mirren manager Danny Lennon must wish he had anyone as productive as that as his team are definitely still in a relegation battle after failing to score in their last 365 minutes of action.

Craig Dargo missed chances in both halves and substitute Paul McQuade chipped over goalkeeper and crossbar late on, but the absence of Michael Higdon in particular was too much to overcome. Now their season will hinge on a treacherous return to the north east to face Peterhead in Tuesday's Scottish Cup replay.

Lennon said: "It was disappointing, even in the hotel this morning we had highlighted the threat of Chris Maguire and told the players not to let him cut inside when he goes down the left.

"Unfortunately we didn't stop him doing that and his two deliveries were absolutely fantastic and on a plate for Vernon. That's the type of quality that changes games."

At the games you have been to this season how many of them have you came away thinking that Maguire has been a clear stand out, head and shoulders (now expecting shampoo puns) above every other player on the park?

You are ridiculous.

He has been the player that played best for Aberdeen a couple of times.

Now, back at the point, you were giving me the lowdown on the dons top performers.

You are ridiculous.

He has been the player that played best for Aberdeen a couple of times.

Now, back at the point, you were giving me the lowdown on the dons top performers.

See you fail to answer questions that I am asking you, I know you havn't watched much of Maguire and it shows.

I just did. He was our best player three times.

Now then, all these players that have been better than him all season, Folly, Vernon (debateable) and . . . . ?

Did I say there were many?  Since you are pushing I would go for Hartley, as a captain he is superb.

Folly hasn't been in our top performers since early on this season.  Even then his role is such that expectation is that he just needs to get stuck in and pick a simple pass.  He is good at that, but when the team is not playing well it is easier to excel in that position than it is in a forward position when we are not playing well.  In most games you'd criticise Maguire's performances, you could just as easily do it with Vernon, if you don't take in to account other factors. (p.s. I do think Folly has done well this year, but no more so than Maguire).

Considine has done well at times considering he is being played out of position but other than yesterday where I thought he offered plenty as a full back, I cannot think of one other game this season where I thought anything more than he did alright considering he is playing out of position.  Not a criticism as such...

Hartely has done well as a captain and been influential in a playing sense in a few games.  Still wouldn't have him near a player of the season so far.

To me it comes down to Vernon and Maguire being our best performers by in large.  They were both getting utilised poorly at the end of McGhee's tenure and it impacted their form.  Vernon was so isolated it was ridiculous, because Aluko and Maguire were getting utilised as left and right midfielders, rather than wingers/forwards and were normally 30 yards behind play when the long ball was sent up to Vernon.  It is difficult to win a ball, hold it up and pass it on when there is that distance to make it up. 

At the games you have been to this season how many of them have you came away thinking that Maguire has been a clear stand out, head and shoulders (now expecting shampoo puns) above every other player on the park?

No need to get yourself in such a lather.