Banks O'Dee v Cove Rangers

Byes: Aberdeen University, Inverurie Locos, Turriff United

Quarter finals:

Fraserburgh / Peterhead v Turriff United

Aberdeen University v Inverurie Locos

Formartine United / Deveronvale v Banks O'Dee / Cove Rangers

Aberdeen / Keith v Buckie Thistle / Huntly

Semi finals:

Aberdeen University / Inverurie Locos v Fraserburgh / Peterhead / Turriff United

Aberdeen / Keith / Buckie Thistle / Huntly v Formartine United / Deveronvale / Banks O'Dee / Cove Rangers

Final:

Aberdeen University / Inverurie Locos / Fraserburgh / Peterhead / Turriff United v Aberdeen / Keith / Buckie Thistle / Huntly / Formartine United / Deveronvale / Banks O'Dee / Cove Rangers

wikipedia suggests it is a different tournament

The Aberdeenshire Shield is, like the Aberdeenshire Cup, a competition for Aberdeenshire Football clubs. The current holders are Buckie Thistle

The competition sees 9 teams compete, with a preliminary round being played first before the quarter final stage.

The tournament is due to commence next month with all of the currently Aberdeenshire and District FA members taking part in the competition in the same season for the very first time as 13 clubs vie for the trophy that was won by Peterhead last time out.

A revised schedule of the competition meant there was no Aberdeenshire Shield during the calendar year of 2010, with last season's competition taking place during November before being switched to February this time out.

Last seasons was held Sept/Oct/Nov 2009 - Doesn't look like we played, Peterhead beat Locos 3-0 in final

Doesnt look like we played year before that either - Just looking back at the fixtures on www.highlandleague.net but its a bitch to navigate through to find what I'm looking for so not going back any further.

All I can think is because this years is held later in season we decided to enter. And we will be playing all our games away from home so if we beat Keith the 2nd round match will be changed to the away teams ground.

*Edit - I realise some of that repeats what GS said but couldnt be arsed picking out the bits that wasn't needed anymore

Draw made by Craig Brown and Paul Lawrie

Final:

Aberdeen University / Inverurie Locos / Fraserburgh / Peterhead / Turriff United v Aberdeen / Keith / Buckie Thistle / Huntly / Formartine United / Deveronvale / Banks O'Dee / Cove Rangers

Now thats a game ill happily pay extra to see  :thumbsup:

Last seasons was held Sept/Oct/Nov 2009 - Doesn't look like we played, Peterhead beat Locos 3-0 in final

Doesnt look like we played year before that either - Just looking back at the fixtures on www.highlandleague.net but its a bitch to navigate through to find what I'm looking for so not going back any further.

All I can think is because this years is held later in season we decided to enter. And we will be playing all our games away from home so if we beat Keith the 2nd round match will be changed to the away teams ground.

*Edit - I realise some of that repeats what GS said but couldnt be arsed picking out the bits that wasn't needed anymore

Yeah I had a look there too and I suspect we have never entered this before.  In fact it looks like they have even tried to play it as a minileague type thing in the past.  I guess with no reserve league afc are taking any opportunity they can to give players a run out.

EDIT: It also isn't listed as an option on the afc heritage site when you search head to heads so pretty sure we have never entered it as it is pretty comprehensive if a little tricky to extract the info you want at times (would be good if they could improve the head to head function so it listed all individual games rather than just over totals for example).

The Shield must be fairly minor even in the small world of Aberdeenshire Football as it doesn't even warrant a mention on Brian McColl's superb site:

http://scottish-football-historical-archive.com/atoz.htm

and further help from P&B (if you like your geeky football facts check out their Infowire Section:

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/forum/55-infowire/

The Shield isn't that old - only a couple of decades IIRC. There's really no format/entry difference between it and the Aberdeenshire Cup, bar the fact that it's a bit less prestigious by merit of being newer. Can't find a winners list online.

Until last season it got played midweek in later autumn (the Cup and the NoSFA equivalent* having been played midweek in earlier autumn) but this season it's been held in the spring. As you say, I don't remember Aberdeen ever entering the Shield. I think Peterhead maybe used to be the other way around, entering the Shield as they still had League/Challenge Cup ties in earlier autumn? Not sure.