Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus. Complain when he plays and complain when he doesn't. At the end of the day he'll need games. Give the boy a chance. I think we're getting to the point of being unfair on McGhee just for the sake of it.

Thing is going on passed history he will not get a run of games before getting injured again.

Jesus. Complain when he plays and complain when he doesn't. At the end of the day he'll need games. Give the boy a chance. I think we're getting to the point of being unfair on McGhee just for the sake of it.

Yes he needs games but he was clearly not fit to start. Start off with him coming on for 10-15 minutes and then build from there. Any sane manager knows that. It seems Mcghee is rushing him so this deal does not look like a dumbass move.

Do you really think that? Reconsider Velicka's contribution on Saturday and try telling folk he was remotely match fit. By match fit I mean able to contribute ANYTHING. He wasn't and yes I appreciate the difference between match sharpness and match fitness and his need to play to get sharp but he simply isn't fit enough and if McGhee thinks he is we really are in fucking trouble. This in addition to what most folk thought was a decent pairing in Maguire and Vernon who scored 2 past the huns and you really have to scratch your head at a decision like that. The guy is a decent player but the guy has also barely been training recently!

I don't really disagree - he shouldn't have been paired with Vernon. He didn't look match fit but he has to start somewhere. Everyone's moaning that we've got this player who was never playing. Now he's playing. Only McGhee and Velicka know how fit the player is. Some of McGhee's critics just seem to take any possible opportunity to have a dig at him when if Velicka hadn't played there would have been yet more jibes about how much of a shit bit of business it was. And it was.. but FFS sake we need to try and get behind the team and manager for once.

As far as i can tell the main gripe was taking a big gamble on signing him despite his awful injury record and while he was injured, which is understandable.  And after Saturday people disagreed with Mcghee starting with a clearly unfit player which again is understandable.

Not sure what your issue is to be honest.

The problems I see iaren't with putting Velicka in from the start necessarily. As I've said I think he's being rushed to match fitness for the Falkirk game. The problems are that IF Velicka plays up front, then Maguire, Magennis or Mackie should be his partner. Someone to do the running around.

Another problem is why on earth Velicka wasn't hooked sooner after we fell behind and had to chase the game.

And on the point of criticising Mcghee; some of it is probably coming from frustration, true. But the other selection choice that cost us was playing Zander instead of Ifil. Ifil's had 2 bad games after a decent start, zander's been awful every time. The main difference is Ifil (while no use against jinky or speedy strikers) is a strong fucker who would not have shat it off Kyle.

Add to that the fact he left it too late to take off a seemingly blind goalie (who literally staggered off down the tunnel at HT and when subbed) and it adds up to very fair reason to say Mcghee's tactical decisions fucked us at the weekend. Whether that's part of a bigger picture that Mcghee's not good enough, or only about one off day, I don't know. But it's definately not criticism just for the sake of criticism.

Add to that the fact he left it too late to take off a seemingly blind goalie (who literally staggered off down the tunnel at HT and when subbed) and it adds up to very fair reason to say Mcghee's tactical decisions fucked us at the weekend. Whether that's part of a bigger picture that Mcghee's not good enough, or only about one off day, I don't know. But it's definately not criticism just for the sake of criticism.

For that appallingly (no "u" in appalling Stoney) bad decision alone it's clear McGhee is either an idiot or an incompetent!

With Chris Maguire wanting to play as centre-forward rather than on the right wing, Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee may use Andrius Velicka as a substitute in matches to accommodate him and strike partner Scott Vernon in the team. (Daily Express)

Of course you should be doing this anyway McGhee :hammer:

It would nice to have a bit more to get behind to be honest. I rated Velicka but have seen the square root of fuck all for some considerable time to make any kind of judgement about what he is or isn't capable of. Saturday just confirmed he was well short of the player he once was, whether that was down to a lack of match fitness of a temporary or permanent nature remains to be seen. But I think anyone who saw his contribution on Saturday would have to say he's no at the races yet McGhee played him in a bloody important game.

Cards on the table, I have no confidence in McGhee's ability to make an impact of a positive nature at AFC, I sincerely hope I am wrong as I can see some decent signings in the team but aside from these individuals the squad has serious issues that just don't seem to get addressed.

Correct me if im wrong but did he not try to get the funds together for basey but coulnt so ended up getting the other guy in with his club paying the wages.

Dont see what could have been done differantly!

The other guy isn't a full back either.

There is quite clearly a lot that could have been done differently but now will you have your silly little agendas won't you?!

Why not get some post-its and generate some support for a manager. No, that would look fucking stupid wouldn't it?

Not as stupid as every anti mcghee post that comes from your keyboard - could yous be any more bitter about calderwood getting the dunt?  :wave:;D

Aye, that's what  is.

Look how we've done since he arrived. If simply describing a shit season and shit start to a season is to be akin to bitterness then so be it. It's all transitional and this season is a write off.

I still think the best thing to do would be to play 3 4 3.  It seems to be the only formation that would allow balance to the side with the players we have. We would proabably concede a few goals but we're doing that already, at least we might score a few at the other end