Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Langfield optomistic

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/aberdeen/180783-jamie-langfield-optimistic-about-mcghees-transfer-plans/

Aberdeen’s Jamie Langfield has publicly backed manager Mark McGhee saying he is “optimistic” he will be able to bring in the set of players he is looking for as the transfer window wheeling and dealing continues.

The 30-year-old argued there is no place in the club for being negative following last season’s under performance and thinking about “what could have been.”

Speaking to STV sport, he said: “I am totally behind the manager and, like the fans, I am looking forward to the summer and seeing what the manager can do.

“I am very optimistic that he can bring in the set of players that he wants to bring in.”

He added: “We need to start being positive…It happened, it’s happened for a reason and hopefully if we bring in the right players then we can get Aberdeen back to where Aberdeen should be and that’s in the top six and challenging for European places.”

Aberdeen has so far only recruited one new signing, 23-year-old Northern Ireland defender Rory MCardle.

Langfield added: “If the manager can keep pulling things like that out the hat, I don’t think we will be too far off it.

“He is a young boy as well…he is at a great age. Hopefully he settles in well and we can get other players in to do the same thing.”

Unfortunately this is the mentality that has put us where we are:

"top six and challenging for European places."

Aberdeen as a club could and should be challenging teams like Rangers and Celtic for the league. They really do not have brilliant teams right now.

Aberdeen as a club could and should be challenging teams like Rangers and Celtic for the league. They really do not have brilliant teams right now.

He meant Champions league and there is only one SPL space for that this coming season  :thumbsup:

See I agree with this but I can understand why that stuff gets said.

They're scared to say they're aiming higher than they are expected to achieve. But I wish we lived in an era where if they have nothing to say they'd say NOTHING.

I firmly believe in self-fulfilling prophesy. It's no surprise people who talk themselves down achieve comparatively little. The exact same is true of team sports. Talk yourself into being an also ran and you'll only ever be an also ran.

I don't subscribe to that at all. If the Old Firm are in bad shape it generally means everyone else is in a worse state. Top six and challenging for Europe is fine at the moment, until we are in a better situation financially.

I don't subscribe to that at all. If the Old Firm are in bad shape it generally means everyone else is in a worse state. Top six and challenging for Europe is fine at the moment, until we are in a better situation financially.

At the end of the day, it's still 11 men v 11 men. Yes we may not win the league in the next 20 years, but we should at least be 'challenging' and aiming to challenge. If our players aren't even aiming to win, then why are they bothering to enter?