Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

McDonald: Dons supporters ‘out of order’

Dons supporters ‘out of order’

McDONALD LEAPS TO THE DEFENCE OF MARK KERR AFTER CRITICISM OF SKIPPER IN DISMAL DEFEAT BY ACCIES

By Michael Gannon

Published: 05/05/2010

Aberdeen midfielder Gary McDonald believes the critical treatment of skipper Mark Kerr by some supporters is not deserved – and rejects the claim that the Dons squad is not committed to the club.

Kerr was booed by a section of the Pittodrie faithful before being substituted during the woeful 3-1 defeat by Hamilton Accies on Saturday.

McDonald, who with Kerr is out of contract this summer, has also been the target of supporter animosity this season. The midfielder is well aware of the paying public’s right to vent frustration but he believes the abuse has been unwarranted and counter-productive.

The accusation levelled at the Dons players – and in particular those out of contract – is that they are apathetic.

But McDonald rejects this. He said: “I thought the treatment of Mark was out of order. He is a player who always gives 100%. He never hides and is always looking to get on the ball and make things happen. It was the same on Saturday but the supporters decided to take out their frustration on him.

“No one wants to be shouted at by their own supporters. The players go out on to the pitch trying to do the best they can. You cannot always play your best but they always give 100%.

“The supporters pay their hard-earned money and if they want to have a go they are entitled to do so.

“I am sure Mark or anyone else will not hide behind anyone. They will go out and try to prove people wrong.”

Tonight’s encounter against his former club Kilmarnock is likely to be McDonald’s final experience of Pittodrie as an Aberdeen player.

It is unlikely to be a happy one either, as the former Scotland B international is entwined in an intriguing subplot. He will be loath to condemn his former club to relegation misery, especially when there is every chance he could end up back at Rugby Park next season.

McDonald added: “We will be out to beat them but I hope and pray Killie stay up by beating Falkirk in the last game of the season. Going down would have serious implications for them. There is even talk about them having to go part-time.

“The players do not know their futures, either, so it is a worrying time for them.”

It is an uncertain time for McDonald as well.

The 28-year-old has not been alone in enduring a wretched campaign.

He said: “I do not know what is going to happen. I will wait until the end of the season and take stock.

“I have not ruled out anything. I was just concentrating on getting back to fitness and getting some games under my belt from now until the end of the season.

“It has been an extremely disappointing season both for me and collectively.

“We have not managed to get the results this squad was capable of. We have got to hold our hands up and say we failed. I do not know why. If we could put our finger on it we would have been sorted months ago.

“I am sure the manager will have a long think about it over the summer to try to put it right for next season.”

critical treatment of skipper Mark Kerr by some supporters is not deserved – and rejects the claim that the Dons squad is not committed to the club.

fuck off you useless little twat.

I do not know what is going to happen. I will wait until the end of the season and take stock.
yeah, you'll be taking stock from the back of a Tesco's store and putting it on the shelves!

Enjoy the dole queue you twat. :wave:

Why can't we have an article like the guy from Wolves who apologised for being shite this season? Because you're an unprofessional sub human. You won't be missed. In fact, you've been gone most of the time you were allegedly here.