Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons join queue for Mehmet/6 New Players required 21/4/10

six new faces required, but buddies ace is wanted man

McGhee will keep after Mehmet in Dons rebuild

By Paul Third

Published: 21/04/2010

Mark McGhee is forging ahead with his rebuilding plans for next season – but the Aberdeen manager faces a challenge in making the most of his budget at Pittodrie.

A year on, the collapse of Setanta and the loss of revenue for the SPL clubs is still hitting hard.

But McGhee knows the supporters will still be expecting to see a drastic improvement at the club next season.

The Dons manager has inquired about St Mirren forward Billy Mehmet, but the Buddies attacker – who is also attracting the interest of Hearts – is expected to move to England to play in the Championship or League 1 next season.

However, the Aberdeen manager has not given up hope of landing Mehmet, who has reached double figures in the last two seasons with the Buddies.

With 12 players under contract for next season the Dons manager knows he must add at least six new faces in his squad, but ensuring that they are good enough to help improve the club will be his most difficult task.

He said: “We are trying to be prudent and keep the wage bill within reason.

“There is no wage cap here and we may have to allow for the fact someone who may be right for us could cost another £300 a week due to interest in him from other clubs.

“We are looking at a sum of money which we can carve up any way we like, but we need those 18 to 20 players.

“I could go out and get a centre forward on £5,000 a week but it might leave us £3,000 to get six other players, so it is not about that.

“It is about getting the right blend of players to fill the void and making it work.â€

McGhee believes the lack of experience in his squad in recent weeks has highlighted just why he needs more depth next season.

The absence of Sone Aluko, Jim Paterson, Andrew Considine and Gary McDonald, coupled with the sale of Lee Miller and the decision to let Chris Maguire join Kilmarnock on loan, has left the Dons squad threadbare and the manager is aware he needs reinforcements.

He said: “We went into Saturday’s game with the 10 outfield players plus Fraser Fyvie, Michael Paton and Paul Marshall. The rest were young lads.

“Say we had lost Steven McLean, Darren Mackie or Zander Diamond. We would be going into Saturday’s game at St Johnstone with Fyvie and five young boys who have never played on the bench, but that’s where we have been for the last six weeks here.

“I was more relieved with the win than I said on Saturday due to those circumstances and regardless of how it looked, the players did well in difficult circumstances.

“The players have been hung out to dry a little bit and they did really well to win the game on Saturday when you consider those on the pitch and on the bench were all we had.

“I don’t feel culpable in that we only had 13 players to choose from on Saturday or that I have not being able to strengthen as I would have liked.

“But there have been tactical changes or personnel changes I’ve made which people can rightly criticise.

“I am not going to sit here and not say their argument doesn’t have foundation.

“My job now is to ensure it doesn’t happen again.â€

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ally s

Hmmm not sure what to make of that. Mehmet's not a player I've ever really noticed as being anything other than a medoicre SPL striker.  However, if he's getting into double figures 2 seasons on the trot with St Mirren then perhaps he'd be worth a gamble.

Hmmm not sure what to make of that. Mehmet's not a player I've ever really noticed as being anything other than a medoicre SPL striker.  However, if he's getting into double figures 2 seasons on the trot with St Mirren then perhaps he'd be worth a gamble.

I think that means he's managed double figures over 2 seasons does it not?

So a couple of months ago we could barely compete with L2 clubs in attracting players. Now we are supposedly going after Kevin Kyle (who I assume will be attracting interest from Championship/L1 clubs), Billy Mehmet (who according to the article is attracting interest from Hearts, Championship & L1 clubs), and Steve MacLean (who despite being on loan here this last 1/2 season is still under contract to a Championship club just relegated to L1). 

Shall we run a sweepstake as to which date in August McGhee will admit defeat in the pursuit of these players before being left with a choice between some Blue Square North clogger, Jim Hamilton and announcing having Maguire back from loan is "like a new signing".

He has 12 goals league and cup(s) this year. He had 12 league and cup last year.

he has scored 3 goals in 30 ish league appearances this season. I'd rather we played Maguire.

Agreed. He seems to be one of these players who puts himself about (commendable) with little thought for using any guile. If that is what we are aspiring to then the game is a bogey.

So we've got from needing a complete clear out, to looking for 6 new players now?

You'll also notice the £8k p/w figure that the morons will no doubt jump on.

Getting the excuses in early.

Also whats this about;

He said: “We went into Saturday’s game with the 10 outfield players plus Fraser Fyvie, Michael Paton and Paul Marshall. The rest were young lads

So 13 outfield players then?

5 of Mehmets 12 goals came in one game at the start of the season against East Striling. This guy is pish and if he is an indication of the standard we are looking at then next season is going to be pretty much a repeat of the one just passed.

This probably wont go down to well but i quite like Mehmet.

Agreed we should be looking at so-called better players but if we dont get Kyle then we do need a big man upfront, and looking at our wage budget its going to be hard to get players up from south.  Probably lower division players as well that might not settle into the hustle-bustle of the SPL.

Sometimes its better the devil you know . .

Better get my guard up after this post!!

This probably wont go down to well but i quite like Mehmet.

Agreed we should be looking at so-called better players but if we dont get Kyle then we do need a big man upfront, and looking at our wage budget its going to be hard to get players up from south.  Probably lower division players as well that might not settle into the hustle-bustle of the SPL.

Sometimes its better the devil you know . .

Better get my guard up after this post!!

Thank fuck you stay in Shetland or I would be coming found tae slap some sense into you with a puffin!

:lolabove:

Well sometimes you have to stick your head above the parapet just to see what bullets are flying about!!  ;D

Always liked a laugh!

Actually there are some Puffins up here that could do a job . . .  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BTW, if we do get Mehmet and he turns out to be a great player, i said it first.  If he comes and is pish, my first post was a joke  :P