Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Major Restructuring in the Pipeline for SPL

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes to start with but if more people went to a more competitive league then tv would sure as hell be part of it.

You need to look at the long term when the old firm have gone

You have to ask why prices at firhill are £17 maybe its what they need to break even as there is less fans now due to them staying at home watching the English premier league every day

prices would come down because

1 the share of money would be evenly split and might allow teams to do the odd deal

2 more people would eventually go to games in a competitive league (might take a few years )

3 provincial clubs would not have to compete with the old firm and could cap wages better

4 no old firm (and lets face it they will fuck off first chance they get anyway so lets have it on our terms and not theirs)

we can see what will happen they will fuck off but try and leave reserve sides in the premier league so they can still claim the lions share of tv money from here as well

I know that with having gone to thousands of games myself that for a start without the old firm it would seem suicide (tv, no real big games, no atmosphere, rivarly etc etc but i think for the long term good of Scottish football it will be good.

All my sons support the dons but other kids on my street support rangers, celtic, man utd and chelsea etc (why is this it must be down to tv because they don't go to the games)

I have said what i think i respect some of you don't agree but i will never set foot in any 10 team league -this is not the answer

Also what plonker came up with the idea of showing games on a Monday night

Crikey.

We don't have a "to start with" period. the league will die if we lose revenue, that's all your plan does. Even for 1 or 2 years our game can not afford it. Simple as that man. It's  not going to happen.

Crikey.

We don't have a "to start with" period. the league will die if we lose revenue, that's all your plan does. Even for 1 or 2 years our game can not afford it. Simple as that man. It's  not going to happen.

The league wont die if we lose revenue, clubs will just have to live within their means ie by bringing down wages etc

People said this when Setanta pulled the plug and its not happened yet.

I can see this,  but they might have no choice because if the old firm go in the short term money will drop.

Or are you saying the league will simply go bust

Fucking hell. You're the one saying "may take a few years", why do you think we have that time? We don't. Any sort of time without tv or OF money and we're fucked. What would replace that money?

Sigh.....Did you not read a complete post once?

To cover initial (hopefully) drop in revenue til we actually have competitive leagues

Oh and I still AM a Maths teacher

I read the entire post yes. I responded to the part that might have a chance of coming to fruition. The rest I merely dismissed as the stuff of fairies and pixies.

I read the entire post yes. I responded to the part that might have a chance of coming to fruition. The rest I merely dismissed as the stuff of fairies and pixies.

My apologies. I did not realise you were the sole arbitrer of fact and reason.  ::)

All I was doing was adding my tuppence to the debate.

None of any of the suggestions in this thread will ever come to fruition, because, as we well know, Scottsh football is run by cock sucking necrophiliacs!

In future I will PM you all my opinions to make sure they're ok and agree with your's.

In fact why don't you make all my posts for me?

As said before people said that when Setanta went bust and is our league still here.

Other leagues all over the World survive in a lot less money than ours.

Why do you think ours will not survive

It's not necessarily that I don't think it would survive per se, I don't think it can survive AND still produce the level of competitiveness or quality we would all like to see, which is surely the whole point of this?

My apologies. I did not realise you were the sole arbitrer of fact and reason.  ::)

All I was doing was adding my tuppence to the debate.

None of any of the suggestions in this thread will ever come to fruition, because, as we well know, Scottsh football is run by cock sucking necrophiliacs!

In future I will PM you all my opinions to make sure they're ok and agree with your's.

In fact why don't you make all my posts for me?

What are you babbling about ? You posted an opinion that I disagree with so I posted a response, stating my own opinion. At no point have I claimed to have a monopoly on truth or fact. If you aren't happy with these fundamental principles of a message board and aren't capable of having someone disagree with you without breaking down into some sort of teenage fit then I suggest you go take up knitting or something.

It's not necessarily that I don't think it would survive per se, I don't think it can survive AND still produce the level of competitiveness or quality we would all like to see, which is surely the whole point of this?

fair enough but changing it to a 10 team league will not take in any more money in my opinion.

read the papers and other club sites general opinion is it wont work and they don't want it.

I thought business was all about giving your customers what they want not forcing something they don't want on them.

After reading the absurd idea of 4 teams in a play off for the league after playing all season i dont trust any of the clubs coming up with any sort of sound idea

fair enough but changing it to a 10 team league will not take in any more money in my opinion.

read the papers and other club sites general opinion is it wont work and they don't want it.

I thought business was all about giving your customers what they want not forcing something they don't want on them.

After reading the absurd idea of 4 teams in a play off for the league after playing all season i dont trust any of the clubs coming up with any sort of sound idea

For the fuckteenth time it is not about more money, it's about not losing more than we have to.

But going to a 10 team league will lose money as the fans don't like it.

What cant you understand about that.

I think you should view it more as a sticking plaster rather than a long term cure for the ills of the SPL and scottish fitba in general. Yes in the long run the fans may become bored and even more will leave to go shopping etc. on a Saturday with their misses but they need to be seen to do something to at least try and raise the standard. A 10 team league means that we get to play the bigot brothers more which brings more fans through the gate than any other game. This should increase revenue for the clubs in the short term.

Long term I also think, as most others on here seem to aswell, that something else will need to be done.

I think you should view it more as a sticking plaster rather than a long term cure for the ills of the SPL and scottish fitba in general. Yes in the long run the fans may become bored and even more will leave to go shopping etc. on a Saturday with their misses but they need to be seen to do something to at least try and raise the standard. A 10 team league means that we get to play the bigot brothers more which brings more fans through the gate than any other game. This should increase revenue for the clubs in the short term.

Long term I also think, as most others on here seem to aswell, that something else will need to be done.

Is the correct, but fairly often repeated answer. :thumbsup:

We moved away from a 10 team league for a reason did we not? Also playing the old firm 4 times a season only benefits the other 8 teams in the league. The same amount of money will be in the league it's just it'll only be divided between 10 teams rather than say 16 teams. 

We moved away from a 10 team league for a reason did we not? Also playing the old firm 4 times a season only benefits the other 8 teams in the league. The same amount of money will be in the league it's just it'll only be divided between 10 teams rather than say 16 teams.

The point being that the 10 would not be the ends but the means to it. I'm no fan of a 10 or 12, either is just as pish as a 16 team league if all the teams are pish but there's little point further impoverishing teams by further splitting the money pot up, certainly not in the short term when club's incomes are declining.

We also moved away from larger leagues than 10 or 12,  I'm assuming there were reasons behind that too.