Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Major Restructuring in the Pipeline for SPL

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9279663.stm

Proposals for a two-tier Scottish Premier League of 10 teams each are to be put to clubs next Monday.

As part of the reconstruction, play-offs would be introduced, the season would start earlier and a winter break would be built in.

The leagues beneath the top two would be regionalised if the plans put forward by the SPL's Strategic Working Group are ratified.

It is anticipated any changes would be introduced the season after next.

The working group was meeting on Sunday to draw up final details of what will be presented to all 12 SPL clubs at a meeting on 20 December.

While the proposals could be voted on at next Monday's meeting, it is understood a deferral of the vote until January is more likely, to allow clubs to fully consider the detail of the plan.

Equally, it is possible change could be pushed through in time for the beginning of next season, but season 2012/13 is viewed as being a more realistic timeframe.

Eleven of the 12 teams would have to vote in favour of the proposals in order for them to go through, a scenario that is not yet seen as inevitable.

The headline elements of the plans are largely agreed upon but there are a number of fine details still to be ironed out.

The working group consists of the SPL chief executive Neil Doncaster, chairman Ralph Topping and representatives of Rangers, Celtic, Hibernian, Motherwell and St Mirren.

They have been working since the spring to pull together what will be put to their fellow SPL members.

Between the two SPL leagues, there would be an automatic one up, one down.

But play-offs would also take place between the ninth-placed team in the top flight and the second-, third- and fourth-placed teams in the second tier.

That would mean a league season of 36 games - two fewer than present - plus play-offs for those involved, with the league split being abolished

The season would be brought forward by a few weeks to allow the clubs participating in Europe to be better prepared.

That would allow a winter break to be reintroduced - though the exact duration and timing of that is still up for debate.

Another strand to the proposals is the introduction of SPL 'B' teams in either the second tier of the SPL or the regionalised leagues, similar to the model of the top teams in Spain and Germany.

Supporters of that notion believe it would be more beneficial for their younger players to playing at under-19 level or going out on loan.

These teams would not be allowed promotion to the top flight.

Among the other details still to be settled upon is how to revert from the current top 12 to a league of 10, with one possibility being the relegation of three teams at the end of the season prior to change, with just one coming up.

Unsurprisingly, some clubs traditionally fighting to avoid relegation are sceptical about the wisdom of voting for a smaller league, but it is hoped they can be persuaded if a system can be devised whereby relegated teams receive greater compensation, to ease the blow of playing in the lower tier.

A lot of thinking and talking still has to be done, but it appears Scottish football is closer to change than any time in the last decade.

I can't see 11 clubs voting for this.  Either way though, this is the sort of thing that would get us relegated!

In terms of re-structure, that is more like it! I think we need to get away from the split, the 14 team league would be an even bigger joke than the current set-up. Although ten wouldn't be ideal (playing each team 4 times) it would be better than 14! I can't see them going for 18/20.

Have also shouted for regionalisation below the top two leagues in the past, but is the desire there for it at that level?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9279663.stm

I can't see 11 clubs voting for this.  Either way though, this is the sort of thing that would get us relegated!

Tis what happened in 1993/94 when Raith Rovers, Dundee and St Johnstone went down. St Johnstone were effectiverly relegated by Brian Irvine on the second last game of the season.

Did the clubs vote that in or was that a time when the SFA just said 'were doing this!'

Just make it a 16 team league and be done with it. Reducing it to a ten team league does nothing to resolve the sheer boredom of having to play some teams at least four times a season. The fans are bored of it, lord knows the players must be.

Severin certainly was thats why he ended up playing for em er Dundee United.

"Major Restructuring", "Radical Shake up"? You mean going back to a format we had just a few years ago, but with the addition of the SPL2 which will basically make those outside the "SPL" even more irrelevant and cut a drift than they already are, also seem to have decided they want to enforce a regional set up which I'm certain nobody has asked for at that level.  I presume the new "SPL" will become essentially a closed shop which will make it almost as thrilling as the status quo.

Added to that the ridiculous suggestion for B sides in the lower leagues, thus sucking even more potential fans away from smaller sides, totally distorting the league and adding to our bills unnecessarily (although I presume this has only been brought in to aid the OF as I can't see anyone else going for it given the lack of cash.  They got rid of the reserve league as it cost so much so quite how this idea is meant to fly I have no clue).

Finally on current form, if this is brought in for next season we WILL be relegated.

Awesome

Henry McLeish's review has backed this 10 team league now as well  :hammer:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9291848.stm

The more I think about it, the more I don't want it.  More than half the league could be in a relegation battle so we'll see teams parking the bus all the time desperate to get a point.  A larger league would be far more competitive and lead to much more attractive games.  It's not fucking rocket science.

I dunno, I can't see St Mirren - Dunfermline being transformed into a Barca - Arsenal style game, just because they happen to be mid-table in an expanded SPL. Lack of quality is leading to horrible games to watch, rather than league structure IMO.

Having said that, I do feel expansion is the way forward, rather than the ten team option.

There just isn't enough teams with a decent support to make up for lost revenue from losing home games against the only 2 teams with a decent support outside the OF - namely, hibs, hearts and maybe DU.

In no way will games against total shite like Dumpfermline, Dundee, Alloa make up for losing money......hell, the SPHell is a joke as it with Hamilton averaging less than 3k at the home gate and ICT and MOtherwell getting terrible home crowds despite recent 'success'..

i'd love for us to have an 18 team SPL - i think it would be better l-t but financially it isn't a go-er and the SFL clubs havent done anything to show they deserve it...

This is the fundamental flaw in the whole argument. Everyone is asking for a 16 team league and it is clearly the sensible choice for football in terms of less repetitive fixtures, less threat of relegation so arguably more competitive football etc etc. Yet, the recommendations are for a 10 team league. Why ?

Because its the commercial people who make these recommendations and the commercial people who will ultimately decide the outcome. Regardless of how many fans or pundits want to see an expanded league, the commercial reality is that no club will vote to give up revenue. Especially in the current economic climate. Its a moot point. 10 teams it will be. Fucked if I know how they plan to split the pot with another 10 in the SPL2 though, that one baffles me.