Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Major Restructuring in the Pipeline for SPL

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Are you seriously suggesting that you will stop attending games simply because of the number of teams in the league.

Surely this means more games against competitive sides like Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs etc and more potential derby matches against the likes of UTD, St J and ICT. Add to that the possibility of a couple of tinktown clubs like Hamilton and Helen sodding the fuck off to a more appropriate league and you have a far better mix of games worth watching do you not. Seems a crazy time to stop going to me.

I'm not sure how much correlation there is between these concepts of 'playing the same team too many times' and falling attendances (if that is the issue people feel they don't want to attend as a result of). What we really need are competitive games and I'm sure these are more likely to be delivered by more games against the filth and Edinburgh filth. Than those against Raith, Dunfermline and Falkirk.

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No surprise at all. Very disappointed though. As I've said before ajja, I think its just got to a point where people are sick of seeing the same teams. This will do nothing but accentuate the fans apathy with Scottish football. There needs to be a compromise with the fans demands, at least restructure the way clubs charge for games. If they're going to subject us to this, at least make it cheaper.

I'd like to see what was actually agreed in terms of the deal. They've not released much information at all.

Are you seriously suggesting that you will stop attending games simply because of the number of teams in the league.

Surely this means more games against competitive sides like Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs etc and more potential derby matches against the likes of UTD, St J and ICT. Add to that the possibility of a couple of tinktown clubs like Hamilton and Helen sodding the fuck off to a more appropriate league and you have a far better mix of games worth watching do you not. Seems a crazy time to stop going to me.

I'm not sure how much correlation there is between these concepts of 'playing the same team too many times' and falling attendances (if that is the issue people feel they don't want to attend as a result of). What we really need are competitive games and I'm sure these are more likely to be delivered by more games against the filth and Edinburgh filth. Than those against Raith, Dunfermline and Falkirk.

Agree with all of this.

No surprise at all. Very disappointed though. As I've said before ajja, I think its just got to a point where people are sick of seeing the same teams. This will do nothing but accentuate the fans apathy with Scottish football. There needs to be a compromise with the fans demands, at least restructure the way clubs charge for games. If they're going to subject us to this, at least make it cheaper.

I'd like to see what was actually agreed in terms of the deal. They've not released much information at all.

I'm increasingly not buying that argument. Just think about it for a minute, think about what gets your appetite going for a Dons game ? You are very similar to me in the amount of games you attend and the levels of enjoyment you get from the games. Be honest with yourself about which games you are likely to select to attend. For me its always going to be an away day in Edinburgh or Dundee followed by a possible trip to Pittodrie but there is no way I'm going there for anything other than a top 6 side. You can pile as much 'variety' into the mix as you like but I'm just not convinced that it's what fans actually want.

Sure, the odd trip to a new away ground might be a thrill every now and then but the cup takes care of that. The novelty would soon wear off and it certainly doesn't help the coffers as nobody is going to be salivating at the thought of Morton at Pittodrie. I think fans need to really think about what they want to watch week to week. There is a difference between competitive football and variety. As I have said before, I've not been a fan of the 10 team idea but I see the commercial benefit over an expanded league. I have always held the romantic view that an expanded league would deliver a better, more interesting league but increasingly I'm moving to the idea that it would simply be shit until they address the issue of financial parity.

I'm increasingly not buying that argument. Just think about it for a minute, think about what gets your appetite going for a Dons game ? You are very similar to me in the amount of games you attend and the levels of enjoyment you get from the games. Be honest with yourself about which games you are likely to select to attend. For me its always going to be an away day in Edinburgh or Dundee followed by a possible trip to Pittodrie but there is no way I'm going there for anything other than a top 6 side. You can pile as much 'variety' into the mix as you like but I'm just not convinced that it's what fans actually want.

Sure, the odd trip to a new away ground might be a thrill every now and then but the cup takes care of that. The novelty would soon wear off and it certainly doesn't help the coffers as nobody is going to be salivating at the thought of Morton at Pittodrie. I think fans need to really think about what they want to watch week to week. There is a difference between competitive football and variety. As I have said before, I've not been a fan of the 10 team idea but I see the commercial benefit over an expanded league. I have always held the romantic view that an expanded league would deliver a better, more interesting league but increasingly I'm moving to the idea that it would simply be shit until they address the issue of financial parity.

Fair enough mate, and yes you have me, you know exactly what games I'll attend, however it is not only just that. I just think a bit of change might do the game some good. Four times a season as a minimum is just too many. Something needs to change and it seemed.like this would have been a prime opportunity to do something. At the end of the day, I  imagine it will be the final nail in the coffin for some folk, as they are just too disenchanted with the way the game is run in Scotland.

Just another example of the other 10 getting dicked about to keep the Hun/Timothy happy. Imagine Rangers were forced to go to Inverness mid-week at a weeks notice. Simply would not happen.

I'm sure they said on the radio that they had to help out rangers because they need to catch up games....

The SPL? Yeah, think they were due to play St Mirren last night, but couldn't, due to Scottish Cup replay. So the only logical thing to do was bring an Inverness game forward six weeks at seven days notice.  ::)

My sympathy is limited, because someone at Inverness must have agreed to this. But the OF would never be asked in the opposite situation.

I don't think the size makes any difference at all.

Spreading the cash around more equitably does, maybe then a more expanded league would be ok but I just cannot see why a bigger league is remotely more attractive if the fitba is going to be largely the same mediocre affair, just with more teams playing it in a larger league.

Fear factor my arse, shite factor more like. 

Just got round to listening to Butcher's broadside.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9366087.stm

He's completely spot on IMHO.  Amongst other things he accuses the other clubs (including his own chairman) of being bullied into accepting the 10-team SPL which is exactly what has happened.  Well done Butcher for speaking some sense.

Something's fucking changed for the 10 team SPL to suddenly be back on the cards when there was chairmen falling over themselves a couple of weeks ago to say they wouldn't be voting for it.

But maybe something has? They realised they simply cannae afford their well meant rhetoric?

But bullied? Come on.

The same cunts couldn't be bullied when it was Setanta time.

• 1 month later...