Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Major Restructuring in the Pipeline for SPL

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What, starting next season??

Im pretty sure they said it may be in place for the forth coming season.

edit, nope - but they will be playing for it from next season

SPL clubs could be playing for a place in a truncated top league from the start of next season, according to chief executive Neil Doncaster.

Doncaster met the members of Managers and Coaches Scotland at Hampden on Friday to discuss reconstruction proposals which would see the implementation of a 10-team top flight and a 12-team second division.

If the clubs vote in agreement, the 12 Scottish Premier League clubs could all start next season knowing that three of them could drop down to the second tier for the following year.

Doncaster said: "Next season is the earliest. I think it is important that when clubs start a season they know what they are playing for at the end of it.

"Potentially, if clubs want to go in that direction, if we get agreement from our clubs, there is no reason why that shouldn't be realistic.

"Looking at the good meeting with the clubs we had earlier this week, we will look to revise the document and re-issue that so potentially we are looking for a vote maybe in the next month or so.

"It was good to meet with the managers and coaches and I was impressed with the quality of discussion."

Doncaster confirmed all 12 SPL clubs were represented at the meeting, as well as managers and coaches from lower league clubs.

Alex Smith, chairman of Managers and Coaches Scotland, admitted he would have liked his members to have been consulted before the proposals had been formulated.

The former Aberdeen boss said: "They feel that they are a big part of the game and there is a general feeling that they should be consulted at club level when information comes out.

"Sometimes it happens at some of the clubs, at others the decision is made by their own chairman.

"But this has given us the opportunity to get our views over and there was a real strong group there today with vested interests and all giving various opinions.

"I'm quite sure if they had been asked at an earlier time they would have been able to contribute to the debate.

"Like most managers and coaches I would like a 16-team top league but it isn't financially viable at the moment.

"If we could get more sponsorship we possibly could do that."

The proposals got the approval of Celtic manager Neil Lennon.

"On that presentation, yes it does, because it looks to be the best way to increase the revenue, not just for the clubs in the top level but for clubs across the board," Lennon told STV.

"Neil (Doncaster) has obviously studied this meticulously, there were some very valid points. We're not over the line with it by a long way but it's nice to have an idea of where the powers-that-be see the game going."

However, another SPL manager hit out at the timing of the meeting after he was unable to make it.

Inverness boss Terry Butcher said: "It's absolutely stupid that they're having a meeting at Hampden at three o'clock.

"It's over three hours for us to get down from Inverness. Thursday is a big day in a football week. It's crazy.

"It's punished us in a way because I would have loved to have seen Neil Doncaster and put forward my opinions face to face."

I see in the Daily Retard the SPL are claiming that the 10 team league will promote youth development. Pretty sure one of the reason given by the SPL for going to a 12 was to that a 10 team league  prevented teams form developing young players due to fear of relegation. Also Steven Pressley now saying he is backing the 10 team league.

I see in the Daily Retard the SPL are claiming that the 10 team league will promote youth development. Pretty sure one of the reason given by the SPL for going to a 12 was to that a 10 team league  prevented teams form developing young players due to fear of relegation.

Indeed they did

• 1 month later...

Surprise surprise:

SPL postpones vote on league reconstruction

Page last updated at 16:02 GMT, Tuesday, 5 April 2011 17:02 UK

E-mail this to a friend Printable version BBC Scotland has learned that the Scottish Premier League is to postpone its scheduled vote on proposals for league reconstruction.

The 12 member clubs were due to vote on plans to reduce the current top flight to ten at a meeting on 18 April.

However, clubs pushing for change have failed to gain the necessary backing, meaning any motion would fail.

It is understood the lobbying for change will continue with another ballot pencilled in for the summer.

The SPL has been pushing a proposal that would see the league reduced from 12 to 10.

There was broad support for the switch at a meeting at Hampden Park in February, but 11 of the clubs would need to vote in favour in order for the changes to be implemented.

More to follow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/12970538.stm

There is also a survey up on RedWeb regarding a TV Channel:

http://kappa.ecommzone.com/lz/AFC/0058BZ/06056b4d69e180b617a7c376954aae8775/story1.htm

We were talking about this at the weekend (again, again....)

Without the split there is and would have been nothing to play for in the league for weeks.  True top 6 is an artificial construct and no real achievement but nobody can deny it adds a bit of interest to games at this time of the season.  Equally it makes it a far better run in to the season finale for the top sides to be playing each other rather than seeing who can score the most vs Hamilton.

I say keep the split.  I enjoy it, I believe some others have/are copying the idea so it can't be that bad and reducing to 10 will certainly make no difference to tv money, crowds, excitement, ability, skill or achievement.

Neil Doncaster in the Retard today claiming that the falling attendances are down to fans being fed up of the 12 team set up and that they will come flooding back once we move to the 10 team set up he wants. Man is delusional if he thinks changing to 10 team league will bring the fans back. If anything it will drive more away.

Folk can disagree with me about the split, I understand it is derided by many but it does add excitement to an extent and improves the season run in as there are no (less) one sided miss matches.

However I don't believe that the alternative of a 10 team league will improve the league from what we have now, see the change as totally pointless and will reduce crowds further

I see that people generally want a 16 or 18 team league which would of course mean there are less games in a season. Would the season ticket price remain the same? Would we be willing to pay the same (or more) for a season ticket if there were less games?

Neil Doncaster in the Retard today claiming that the falling attendances are down to fans being fed up of the 12 team set up and that they will come flooding back once we move to the 10 team set up he wants. Man is delusional if he thinks changing to 10 team league will bring the fans back. If anything it will drive more away.

How thick is Doncaster - the falling attendances are down to the quality of football on display being shit!  :hammer:

I just love that he has the cheek to wonder why fans are not going, then says part of his action plan is making the game more appealing to broadcasters. Its the daft kick off times that are responsible for a lot of the poor crowds this season, even discounting the awful quality of football.