Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

P&J: Dons’ worst since 2004 but McGhee has no fears for job

Manager more determined than ever to lift gloom

Dons’ worst since 2004 but McGhee has no fears for job

By Michael Gannon

Published: 17/03/2010

Mark McGhee knows Aberdeen are condemned to their worst finish in the SPL since 2004 but the Dons manager insists he does not fear for his future at Pittodrie.

McGhee’s Reds slumped to another abject defeat at McDiarmid Park last night, the club’s 10th match without a win, as Cillian Sheridan struck a first-half winner for St Johnstone.

Aberdeen are now firmly mired in the bottom half of the table, in eighth position, seven points behind sixth-placed Hearts and four points behind the Saints. The Dons have played one match more than the latter, with just five games remaining until the split.

Aberdeen are now on course for their worst SPL placing since the fraught reign of Steve Paterson, who was sacked after his side finished second from bottom in the table in 2004.

McGhee does not believe he is destined for a similar fate and he is more determined than ever to ensure a successful future at Pittodrie.

He had little complaints about the result last night as Saints emerged on top in every area of the pitch.

McGhee said: “I would say the top six is beyond us now.

“We just have to concentrate on winning our next game. I do not think we can fantasise we are going to win all of our games convincingly enough to finish in the top six.

“The club is looking to the future and I was given that guarantee when I came. It is not something which is keeping me awake at night.

“You can never say never in football but I look at my own performance just like I ask the players to look at theirs.

“I have to be honest with myself and look to see where I can do better. As long as I can look myself in the mirror I am not going to be kept awake worrying if my job is under threat.

“We are doing slightly worse than we hoped to have done. When I came here I imagined we would be able to finish in the top six but not necessarily in third.

“I was given a brief of introducing the young players and that process is under way.â€

McGhee is defiant in the face of heavy criticism and he is determined to win over the doubters.

He is predicting wholesale changes in the summer as the squad stumbles towards the end of the season.

He said: “The amount of criticism I have had in the last month has steeled me to do everything I can to turn it round. What has disappointed me is that some people have had doubts I am able to do that. I think I have proven to be successful in every previous job and there is no reason I cannot be successful here.

“Just because I have not been successful in my first season does not mean that is the end of it.â€

Midfielder Gary McDonald suffered a hamstring injury and is a doubt for this weekend’s visit of Dundee United.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 games without a win

7 wins from 28 league games

Embarrassed out of the UEFA cup

Dumped out by lower league opposition in both domestic cups

The worst current form in the SPL

A set of players unwilling to play for him

Gash signings

A support which is haemorrhaging

How can he think he is not in trouble? The only thing which is saving him is he knows the club cant afford to punt him and his two cronies.

Guest ally s

10 games without a win

7 wins from 28 league games

Embarrassed out of the UEFA cup

Dumped out by lower league opposition in both domestic cups

The worst current form in the SPL

A set of players unwilling to play for him

Gash signings

A support which is haemorrhaging

How can he think he is not in trouble? The only thing which is saving him is he knows the club cant afford to punt him and his two cronies.

Don't agree with that bit, and I think it'd be stupid for the club to get rid of him just now even if they could afford to.

McGhee needs to be given time. What will sacking him less than a year into the job achieve?

Aberdeen FC boss: Why I won’t quit

Boss Mark determined after Perth shocker

By Charlie Allan :wave:

Published: 17/03/2010

ABERDEEN FC boss Mark McGhee today came out fighting after their latest SPL shocker.

McGhee admitted a 1-0 defeat by St Johnstone in Perth has left them on course to miss out on a place in the SPL’s top six for the first time in five years.

The defeat extended Aberdeen FC’s recent winless run to 10 matches and McGhee conceded they are not safe from being dragged into a battle against relegation.

But he won’t be quitting and claimed it would be “grossly unfair†if the Dons directors decided to get rid of him for failing to match up to predecessor Jimmy Calderwood.

Guest ally s

Get a better manager?  Like who?

Would we not need to pay McGhee compensation if we were to sack him?

Better managers cost money, something we sadly lack.

Get a better manager?  Like who?

Would we not need to pay McGhee compensation if we were to sack him?

Not if his contract is allowed to die like his thus far horrific tenure.

We got Calderwood . . . . so there are better managers out there. That said, the board's ability to make a good decision is impaired to the point that I'd let minijc make the choice afore them.

It hasn't worked out, we move on.

We got Calderwood . . . . so there are better managers out there. That said, the board's ability to make a good decision is impaired to the point that I'd let minijc make the choice afore them.

I'm with you bro.

If it's only a one year rolling contract then we can bin him at the end of the season and bring in another manager.

The worst thing we can possibly do is allow McGhee to spend our meager transfer budget, then lead the team into further oblivion in the first couple of months of the season.

Guest ally s

The last thing the club needs is to change manager again. These are unsettling times as it is so to change manager at this early stage would be futile imo.

I say we give McGhee until Christmas, if we are still struggling then I'll agree it's time to take action.

The last thing the club needs is to change manager again. These are unsettling times as it is so to change manager at this early stage would be futile imo.

I say we give McGhee until Christmas, if we are still struggling then I'll agree it's time to take action.

Two transfer windows and we are hurtling downwards. We ARE struggling and badly at that.

Are you suggesting one maybe 2 more transfer windows more? I'm not. Like players transfers sometimes don't work out, this hasn't either. Maybe he can make wholesale changes to the staff and we'll be mediocre again but so far his picking of players has not been very good. It has been dire in fact.

Guest ally s

Two transfer windows and we are hurtling downwards. We ARE struggling and badly at that.

Are you suggesting one maybe 2 more transfer windows more? I'm not. Like players transfers sometimes don't work out, this hasn't either. Maybe he can make wholesale changes to the staff and we'll be mediocre again but so far his picking of players has not been very good. It has been dire in fact.

I am indeed.

Guest ally s

Sacking McGhee = knee jerk imo and isn't the answer.  Our problems are far more deep rooted than just the fitba manager.

We'll just have to disagree on this one

Sacking McGhee = knee jerk imo and isn't the answer.  Our problems are far more deep rooted than just the fitba manager.

We'll just have to disagree on this one

It isn't JUST the manager, I expect most with any real insight would appreciate that. The playing side has been a fucking abortion since he took over. I trust football remains a results driven job? It hasn't worked out and is getting appreciably worse.

Guest ally s

It isn't JUST the manager, I expect most with any real insight would appreciate that. The playing side has been a fucking abortion since he took over. I trust football remains a results driven job? It hasn't worked out and is getting appreciably worse.

You'd be surprised.

Plenty calls for him to GTF but I don't see anyone coming up with the solution once McGhee is gone.