Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

So... remind me how much it cost

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also believe it was the right decision. There is no denying he lifted the club out of the shit and brought back credibility in many ways. However, we were treading water with him in charge, nothing more. We needed a change if we had any designs on a better future.

Its undeniable that McGhee has not delivered. We are slightly worse off now than we were but that doesn't mean we would be anywhere else with Calderwood in charge. The environment changed when Calderwood went, our financial position downshifted significantly so its not an apples with apples comparison.

I'm angry and frustrated just like everyone else but this constant need to apportion blame or point the finger at what should have been done is just getting boring as shit. We are where we are and no end of knee jerk, pissing and moaning will change that. Support the team, don't support the team. I couldn't give less of a fuck.

But what is the debate? That paying him off was wrong? That granting him the needless contract extension was wrong? That the new manager is shite so we should have stuck with the old one? What exactly is this preaching and what is it to be converted?

As some have pointed out, the pay off would never have got near the team anyway. The old manager had to go. If you have stale bread in a sandwich, it doesn't matter what you fill it with, it's still going to be unpalatable. The bread below McGhee is the playing staff and they have never been good enough. The bread above is Milne and Miller, and they are pursuing a different agenda.

Two excellent posts. Don't have much to add to that or to a thread that was seemingly going along quite nicely till fatjim and rocket got hold of it.

As has been highlighted by Ajja and Rocket, JC had to go. It was the right decision to get rid of him, just as most of us agreed/debated before the replacement was announced we felt McGhee wasn't the right answer. Obviously none of us want him to fail, and I hope he can turn it around. But the evidence is firmly stacked against him. Nothing has changed, we changed like for like (or even slightly worse off) and we're back where we were last year but with an inferior league position. Sacking McGhee now is not an option, this team needs rebuilding and investment. I just hope the club has the balls to do it, or a steady decline on and off the pitch will continue.

How can you describe a terrible sandwich metaphor as an excellent post?

He's got it spot on, my interpretation of it is he's basically saying AFC is a fucking shambles on all levels.

I still don't get the "teading water" "had to go" perspectives.

Where are we supposed to be heading? Pulllllleeeeeeeaaaaaase no cunt say the next fucking level.

Unless someone comes in with decent money to actually back a manager and provide real finance to fund a proper youth system "treading water" is going to be as good as it gets. Change from "treading water" and the risks are what we seem to be experiencing at the moment. A big retrograde step. I said earlier there is nothing at all to say we have progressed, I do think we have went back. A lot.

There are only a few folk to blame for this and none of them handed out post its outside Pittodrie. The lack of foresight the board has displayed over the last 2 years has been fucking disgraceful. It is their choice to change managers and they rightly exercised that choice but saw fit to give the previous manager a fucking contract that required paying off with money the club continually doesn't have, probably resulting in coughing something approaching "a fucking fortune" to achieve the change.

These cunts have financed a decline in the club but where did the money actually come from?

I still don't get the "teading water" "had to go" perspectives.

Where are we supposed to be heading? Pulllllleeeeeeeaaaaaase no cunt say the next fucking level.

Unless someone comes in with decent money to actually back a manager and provide real finance to fund a proper youth system "treading water" is going to be as good as it gets. Change from "treading water" and the risks are what we seem to be experiencing at the moment. A big retrograde step. I said earlier there is nothing at all to say we have progressed, I do think we have went back. A lot.

There are only a few folk to blame for this and none of them handed out post its outside Pittodrie. The lack of foresight the board has displayed over the last 2 years has been fucking disgraceful. It is their choice to change managers and they rightly exercised that choice but saw fit to give the previous manager a fucking contract that required paying off with money the club continually doesn't have, probably resulting in coughing something approaching "a fucking fortune" to achieve the change.

These cunts have financed a decline in the club but where did the money actually come from?

Basically this.

I guess it depends how stupid you are and how food obsessed you are as well.

Perhaps he was just using that metaphor for entertainment purposes?

Let's face it, most of the topical posts in this thread are pretty much saying the same thing.

Guest rocket debris

I must apologise for a metaphor that has caused so much offence. The record is quite clear surely? If the original post was to be understood then asking for clarification on what was meant by preaching to be the converted was valid for a clear debate to continue. This was seemingly beyond the two posters whom I addressed. No biggie.

I haven't got a clue what folk are on about sandwiches for however Jimmy had taken the club as far as he could with the resources available and the club was stale. That said if he'd given JC £600,000 to spend on players I am fairly sure JC could have taken the club further.

As for McGhee his cup record was fairly poor before he came to AFC I think? The AGM minutes state that primary reason for removing JC was the poor records in the cup so why would you waste money on someone who also has a poor record - seems bizarre to me.

I don't see what anyone can do without fresh investment in AFC, people say we shouldn't spend money and if that's the case we might as well all fk off to Subway forum and discuss sandwiches and what we can fill them with as we're not going to achieve fuck all on the park.

Guest rocket debris

That you took the time out to even consider the meaning of a tortuous metaphor from rocket?

Tortuous? From someone who doesn't know why the old manager had to go? Change the filling all you want, it isn't gonna change a damn thing.

I thought the debate was "we're shite, why?"

My last post in this thread.

The board seem happy with being a steady Eddy in the SPL and cups, there's no real ambition there.

McGhee seems hell bent on transforming everything about the playing side as he's clearly not happy with what he inherited from JC. This can't be done imo as he's been given fuck all money from a clueless board who wasted x amount of £££££ on getting rid of JC.

I realise there are more than the two factors I've just stated but I can't be arsed going round in circles and repeating what everyone else already thinks/says.

In short, most of the blame lies at the feet of the board.

Tortuous? From someone who doesn't know why the old manager had to go? Change the filling all you want, it isn't gonna change a damn thing.

Steady Eddie in the league isn't what we have now.

Changing managers is pointless unless we are languishing in the bottom half of the league and not at least competitive.

wrong quote.

But if I don't understand why the old manager had to go, help me to understand.

Make me a fucking sandwich.

My last post in this thread.

The board seem happy with being a steady Eddy in the SPL and cups, there's no real ambition there.

McGhee seems hell bent on transforming everything about the playing side as he's clearly not happy with what he inherited from JC. This can't be done imo as he's been given fuck all money from a clueless board who wasted x amount of £££££ on getting rid of JC.

I realise there are more than the two factors I've just stated but I can't be arsed going round in circles and repeating what everyone else already thinks/says.

In short, most of the blame lies at the feet of the board.

I think your right although I think there is clearly ambition from the board to win a cup hence JC being sacked, they knew he wasn't going to win us feck all and wanted more. Nothing wrong with that but surely at some point someone thought we might need to back this new manager up with money? Seemingly not  ???

Steady Eddie in the league isn't what we have now.

Changing managers is pointless unless we are languishing in the bottom half of the league and not at least competitive.

wrong quote.

But if I don't understand why the old manager had to go, help me to understand.

Make me a fucking sandwich.

Correct but let's judge our SPL performance at the end of the season.