Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

So... remind me how much it cost

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To fire Team Calderwood and pay off Motherwell for Team McGhee?

I think it was a lot of money... lucky for us it was worth it...

...oh... wait.

;D

The sensible option would have been to keep JC and now be sitting 3rd or 4th and maybe out the cups but still something to play for

We'd have been better off in a footballing sense too. Jimmy's "dross" players playing Jimmy's "negative & boring" style of football or winning as everyone else calls it.

If we had to make a change it should have been at the end of this season, with virtually the entire playing staff out of contract. Even then it should not have been a middle of the road, never really achieved anything after 10+ years of management, been turned down at least once already, finished below us in the same league type manager.

I will freely say I wanted Jimmy gone, and I feel that was, and continues to be, the right decision.

However, McGhee has shown absolutely no sign of being able to get more from his or Jimmy's players, no sign of being able to sign or spot a player, no sign of being able to motivate a team, or get them playing decent football, no sign of having any more nous in dealing with the media. The result tonight would be fucking pissing off, if it wasn't so fucking predictable. Still, at least we won't get pumped by Dundee in the next round. Fuck all to think about now till August anyway.

Getting rid of Jimmy was the right decision. Nothing McGhee has done or will do will change that.

McGhee is looking like the wrong choice as replacement though.

More-or-less sums things up for me.  I was up for a change of management, but McGhee had an average managerial record and is looking out of his depth.

I also believe it was the right decision. There is no denying he lifted the club out of the shit and brought back credibility in many ways. However, we were treading water with him in charge, nothing more. We needed a change if we had any designs on a better future.

Its undeniable that McGhee has not delivered. We are slightly worse off now than we were but that doesn't mean we would be anywhere else with Calderwood in charge. The environment changed when Calderwood went, our financial position downshifted significantly so its not an apples with apples comparison.

I'm angry and frustrated just like everyone else but this constant need to apportion blame or point the finger at what should have been done is just getting boring as shit. We are where we are and no end of knee jerk, pissing and moaning will change that. Support the team, don't support the team. I couldn't give less of a fuck.

There is no way of knowing if we would have been better or worse off that is true.

What is true is that changing managers without giving the incoming manager any fucking money is not much short of fucking suicidal. Support the team, don't support the team. Seems a comment better directed at the board.

What kind of tangible progression was likely anyway without any fucking money? Change managers every fucking year if you like, every fucking week like Have I Got News For You change presenters, if there's no money to bring in better players and keep the ones we have the job is on it's arse. It is pretty fucking simple, so spending a shiteload of cash on a new manager without backing that manager financially is a risk not worth fucking taking.

I also believe it was the right decision. There is no denying he lifted the club out of the shit and brought back credibility in many ways. However, we were treading water with him in charge, nothing more. We needed a change if we had any designs on a better future.

Its undeniable that McGhee has not delivered. We are slightly worse off now than we were but that doesn't mean we would be anywhere else with Calderwood in charge. The environment changed when Calderwood went, our financial position downshifted significantly so its not an apples with apples comparison.

I'm angry and frustrated just like everyone else but this constant need to apportion blame or point the finger at what should have been done is just getting boring as shit. We are where we are and no end of knee jerk, pissing and moaning will change that. Support the team, don't support the team. I couldn't give less of a fuck.

I agree with your thoughts throughout this thread Ajja.

I would not have been able to put them even near as so succinctly though, so thanks!

There is no way of knowing if it was the right or wrong decision.

Unless of course Calderwood takes Killie into the top six.

Even then there is still no way of knowing of course.

I don't know about that.

I mean, if Calderwood takes what looked like a good bet for relegation and finishes above us then you could logically assume that maybe firing the slobbering muppet wasn't the best idea the board has ever had.

But then, given some of the decisions the AFC board has made, it's probably not even their worst decision by a long chalk.

Paying a million quid (when they're already broke)  to get rid of a decent manager and then bringing in a less decent manager. Brought to you by the folks who hired Steve Paterson even though they knew he was an alky :D

Magic.... far's that thumbs up smiley.

:thumbsup:

It definitely wasn't the best decision getting rid of him. I wasn't particularly a fan of calderwood but who the fuck was? I just thought the timing wasn't right to get rid based upon the financial climate and a few poor results. sorry very poor results.

And by timing I assume you mean right after they'd awarded Team Calderwood a (what was it) 3 and a half year contract?

What a great decision that was.  We know you've been keech in the cups, but here's a three and a half year contract.  A year later, "Hemmin.. yer keech in the cups. Consider yersel fired, and heres over half a million quid by way of severance because of that contract we gave ye."

Seriously, the club is run by people who make retarded kids look like Stephen Hawking.

Guest rocket debris

Dude you have come on to preach to the converted by the way.

But what is the debate? That paying him off was wrong? That granting him the needless contract extension was wrong? That the new manager is shite so we should have stuck with the old one? What exactly is this preaching and what is it to be converted?

As some have pointed out, the pay off would never have got near the team anyway. The old manager had to go. If you have stale bread in a sandwich, it doesn't matter what you fill it with, it's still going to be unpalatable. The bread below McGhee is the playing staff and they have never been good enough. The bread above is Milne and Miller, and they are pursuing a different agenda.