Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

McLean and Paterson Sign!

While I am pleased to have McLean on board its not a move for the future, its only really trying to shore up this season.

Scenario 1: He puts in a great performance over the next 4 months and gets a better offer in the summer. Best we can hope for is that he sees us as a shop window and lights up the rest of this season.

Scenario 2: HE turns out to be horse and we look to offload him or worse, offer him a deal because he is the best we can get. Best we can hope for there is to cut our losses after a dull and disappointing end to the season. Back to the drawing board.

Scenario 3: He takes time to settle and play reasonably OK but fails to attract any interest from bigger, richer clubs. He then goes on to sign for us and sets the SPL alight next season.

Scenario 3 is the only outcome that will give us some long term prospect but it depends on us giving up on any progress this season so we can 'hide' McLeans talent in an average peformance.

Fucking hate loan deals.  >:D

Perhaps he's had some assurances though. It was a fairly sudden u-turn from, 'I only want a permanent deal' to eventually signing on loan. There is, maybe, an outside chance that the club have arranged a deal to be taken up in the summer with the current loan just being used to avoid paying a fee in the mean time.

Having actually typed that it seems far too idealistic to assume any facet of our transfer arrangements could be so simple and logical, however. We can but hope, I suppose.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reckon the reason mclean has accepted the loan deal is purely down to it being last chance saloon. Either loan to us or nae game at plymouth for the rest of the season. I would rather have him on loan first to see how he settles, obviously there is the risk of little security if he's amazing but I can't see him banging in 20 goals by the end of the season.

Reckon the reason mclean has accepted the loan deal is purely down to it being last chance saloon. Either loan to us or nae game at plymouth for the rest of the season.

makes sense, nobody else has offered him a deal so what else was he going to do?

still think we are a bit threadbare up front tho

While I am pleased to have McLean on board its not a move for the future, its only really trying to shore up this season.

Scenario 1: He puts in a great performance over the next 4 months and gets a better offer in the summer. Best we can hope for is that he sees us as a shop window and lights up the rest of this season.

Scenario 2: HE turns out to be horse and we look to offload him or worse, offer him a deal because he is the best we can get. Best we can hope for there is to cut our losses after a dull and disappointing end to the season. Back to the drawing board.

Scenario 3: He takes time to settle and play reasonably OK but fails to attract any interest from bigger, richer clubs. He then goes on to sign for us and sets the SPL alight next season.

Scenario 3 is the only outcome that will give us some long term prospect but it depends on us giving up on any progress this season so we can 'hide' McLeans talent in an average peformance.

Fucking hate loan deals.  >:D

Agreed. Loans are normally only short term fixes and rarely work out like Aluko's did and even then we were lucky that he did not settle at Blackpool.

Agreed. Loans are normally only short term fixes and rarely work out like Aluko's did and even then we were lucky that he did not settle at Blackpool.

Agree x3.

Know very little other than McLean was able to score shitloads for a n English 3rd Division outfit.

Patterson could very well be useful, if only because he keeps that abortion Grassi out of the team.

Would £500,000 nae have paid for us to get Robbie Keane on loan until the end of the season ???  ;)

Celtic fans think that signing will win them the league - might have got us into 2nd place!!!  :o

If x = number of pounds and y = cost per week then z = number of weeks then  z = 7.7. Ergo, we could have funded him until the end of March. Canny bit o' business that.

Besides, Keane will be shit in the SPL. He will come up thinking its like playing against boys and get kicked around the place for 4 weeks then give up.

I'll start the sweep now - total goals by season end = 4.

I'll go for 12. I think Keane will have a field day in the SPL.

If he plays at Fir Park thats a cert.  ;)

How old is Keane ? I'm convinced he will take the SPL for granted and will get very close attention from most defenders in the league. I think he will struggle.

Would £500,000 nae have paid for us to get Robbie Keane on loan until the end of the season ???  ;)

Celtic fans think that signing will win them the league - might have got us into 2nd place!!!  :o

BBC saying he's on 70k a week, all in all it will cost them around £1.5 million.