Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen v Motherwell

Guest rocket debris

He had a ridiculously good save on Saturday to prevent an o.g. from Young (I think).

No, kow. It's still Sunday by the way. It was a save that was good but not outstanding. It was the type of save that he gets paid for. To have let it in would have been criminal. To rate it as ridiculously good is ridiculously bad. What's hapenning?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Name one outstanding save he has EVER made? I can think of only one reaction save that was half decent.

Utter nonsense.  I'm not the guy's biggest fan, but to take one game alone, watch the Dnipro away match and come back and tell me he didn't make one outstanding save in that game.

However I'll agree that he's looked slightly shakier this season, since Leighton's departure anyway.  To me it seems like he's a big confidence player and Leighton was the man that gave him that confidence more often than not, and not having a settled defence infront of him for most of the season can't possibly help his form.  A confident langfield behind a defence he has faith in is a big asset to Aberdeen.

For a start, to go from the scenario that you have one of the greatest keepers of all time telling you that you're a good keeper to having Colin Meldrum telling you that (that's Colin Meldrum, someone who's still young enough to play, but is only signed as a coach ... perhaps tells you something about his playing credentials) may effect confidence.

Langfield was ropey as fuck when he first signed for us to the point Derek Soutar got a game ahead of him. He really matured last season and I thought he was very good. Not Jim Leighton or Theo Snelders very good, but SPL very good. 

Listen morons, it's not difficult. Of the thousands of minutes he's played, he's bound to have made some outstanding saves. Name one.

Numerous saves in the home leg against Bayern for a start.

He was solid against rangers at pittodrie this season, with many good saves.

I'm surprised that someone that claims to know as much about the art of goalkeeping refuses to acknowledge that Langfield has made an invaluable contribution to our reasonably good defensive record over the past few seasons, to be honest it seems as if your harbouring yet another petty and frankly childish dislike of him and no matter how well he plays you'll think the same, which is a shame.

Open your eyes, consider for a second that your not always right, you might learn something...  ::)

Langfield is a very good shot-stopper, fair enough he's not perfect and could improve on some aspects of his game, however under Leighton's tutelage he seemed to be improving on his weaknesses.  I believe his record stands up to the stronger goalkeepers in the league, and we would struggle to replace him with similar quality.

Guest rocket debris

Diamond I like. Paton I love. Pawlett I like. Fyvie I like. Mackie's heart I love. The rest are rank mediocre at best. This is why Aberdeen are not competitive. Our player squad is not good enough. Foster has played much better this season. Mulgrew has made worthwhile contributions but even these two are nowhere near good enough to win anything. I would like to see AFC competitive again in my lifetime. With this shower and a continued lack of investment, we have no chance. Simple really. 

Guest rocket debris

So Rocket what your saying is Langfield is nae use? See how many points over the last few seasons he has won us.

Which points are these? The only decent save I recall was at Falkirk where he reacted really well to move his right hand to block, an excellent reaction save. Langfield has had many howlers, yesterday being a travesty. I don't hear anyone remembering specific positives yet the howlers are many. On balance, the man is therefore a liability and not good enough for AFC.

1. He produced a magnificent save against Motherwell at Fir Park toward the end of last season. Dived low to his left to push away a goal bound header.

2. Had a few good saves at Ibrox last season (2-1 game).

3. If you watch the highlights from the last match we played at Parkhead you'll see Langfield pull off a few very good saves.

I think it is very sad to expect people to remember every good/alright/no bad/outstanding/out of this world save that the No.1 of the club may have pulled off. What people may think was a good save, others might find other negatives to pick on.

I also think that a player who was voted player of the season (deservedly) a season or two back is worthy of wearing the Aberdeen shirt. Behind McGregor and Boruc, I struggle to find a better keeper in Scotland than Langfield.