Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Mo Ross

Really? Whilst I've nae seen him in the flesh to comment, a lot of people on here were moaning about Ross' contribution to the matches he was involved in

You could count the number of good games he had for us using Dave Allen's left hand, and still have a couple of fingers spare.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Un-founded rumours that he's left the club.

To be honest, I was rather confused when he was playing against Hearts as I though his deal was until the end of last year. Wouldn't mind if he stayed until the end of the season tbh, seemed to finally find his feet with the Dons on Saturday.

The young boy Crawford is naturally a right back but McGhee said after Dundee he had found out about who he could rely on....Crawford's not played since.

Not one of McGhee's bum boys then?

What he needs is some compromising pictures of McGhee ;D

Seriously though is he just not good enough, or is there more to it? He seemed to be playing reasonably well at the start of the season and now not playing at all! 

From what I can mind he had a good game at Hamilton but there was the Dundee game and another league match where he was hooked at half time. You'd have to assume he's not cutting in training either, I think he has the right to be posing the question of where do I stand though.

• 1 year later...

I see he his back from his time in China and looking for a deal now at St. Mirren.

Former Rangers defender Maurice Ross believes he still has much to offer in the Scottish Premier League and hopes to win a contract with St Mirren.

The 30-year-old is training with the Paisley club after ending his spell with Chinese outfit Beijing Guoan.

"I have never been a top, top player," he told BBC Scotland candidly.

"I have been a decent player and I think the Championship or Scottish Premier League is my level and that is why I am back to achieve that again."

Ross came through the youth ranks at Ibrox, making his first-team breakthrough in 2000, eventually becoming a regular starter under Alex McLeish, being part of three championship-winning squads and winning 13 Scotland caps.

"To be honest, I was out my depth at Rangers," he said. "I was playing with players who were unbelievable.

"I was treading water just to keep up with these guys and I am just thankful that I got the chance to play at clubs like Rangers and play under Dick Advocaat, Alex McLeish and Walter Smith in my early years."

Ross fell out of favour at Ibrox and began his world travels by joining Sheffield United in 2005 before spells with Wolves, Millwall, Viking Stavanger and Kocaelispor, returning to Scotland for three months with Aberdeen in 2009.

He admits that he has perhaps not fulfilled his potential, partly down to taking "bad advice" and making "wrong choices".

However, he is excited about the possibility of impressing the St Mirren manager.

"My agent made a few calls just to get me training and Danny Lennon has let me come in and it is a great wee set-up at St Mirren," he said.

"We have spoken to the chairman and there could be a possibility there.

"Obviously I have not been in proper football training. I have been ticking over trying to keep myself in shape.

"I have a fitness programme this week and we have agreed that I will play a game against Hearts on Tuesday at Tynecastle and, all going well, I would love to sign with St Mirren and help them stay in the league.

"I've only had one bad injury in my life and I'm still in good nick."

Ross has only one week to prove himself, however, as SPL rules state that players must be signed and registered before 1 April in order to play for the remainder of the season.

Lennon is impressed so far and had been hoping to have a look at Ross in a bounce game on Thursday, but that has been postponed.

"Maurice has trained well enough," said the Buddies boss. "He is available and if we feel he can come in and strengthen us then we'll take that opportunity.

"It could be good for both parties. We can gain a bit of experience in our squad and, at the same time, Maurice can put himself in the shop window as he looks to progress his career.

"We had hoped to play him in a bounce game against Motherwell, but that's been postponed because they've got an under-19 match.

"But we have a game next week, so we can have a look at him then."

Thought what he said was quite refreshing in this day and age where you get players with over-inflated egos of themselves. To hear him come out and admit he wasn't good enough and he's never been a great player is quite a difficult thing to do and I applaud him for that. Probably would still have him at back at Pittodrie mind you.

Hard to believe he's still only 30.

Can't imagine we can afford McNamee and him. If Ross can avoid more injuries than McNamee, then I would be happy enough to get him in.

It also get's to the point where can we afford not to have him? If McNamee is injured all the time, our right hand side becomes incredibly weak. It could/has cost us points/league positions.

Can't remember Ross doing anything remarkable whilst he was with us?

Meh.

Didn't do anything badly either. A competent full back in a poor team. Don't think there is much difference, if any between McNamee and Ross, however, Ross's injury record is significantly better than McNamee's.