Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Killie vs Aberdeen 03/10/09

Meant to say weather forecast for down here is absolutley pish for tomorrow.

Kein Kyle is a fucking big donkey, but nonetheless can be difficult to play against. Worried about tomorrow with Foster and Considine as centre back pairing. Foster too small to counter act Kyle in the air, and don't think Considine is tough enough to get stuck in about him for ninety minutes.

Please go prove me wrong lads.

It's really windy up here today Al, same down there? I'm getting a bad feeling about today... :(

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McGhee gives Dons a tall order

Aberdeen manager plans to nullify Kyle’s aerial threat

By Paul Third

Published: 03/10/2009

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee insists his weakened defence can nullify the threat of Kilmarnock’s target man Kevin Kyle today.

Dons central defenders Jerel Ifil and Zander Diamond will miss the game at Rugby Park, leaving Andy Considine as the only recognised central defender in the team this afternoon.

Despite the lack of aerial presence at the back, McGhee is confident his players can ensure Kyle’s impact on the game is minimal.

When asked how his side will handle Kyle, the Dons manager said: “We will try to keep Kilmarnock up the park, away from the goal. We’ll try to keep a high line, keep the ball and force them, if possible, to keep the ball wide and away from Kyle.

“We want to force them to play up the line and force him to run out there. If he does get into the areas he wants to then the goalkeeper will have to compete with him and punch everything if he has to. I want one more goal than them.â€

The defensive problems of pre-season have been addressed in emphatic fashion with no goals conceded in the last five SPL matches but the Dons manager knows his team must now turn its attention to scoring at the other end.

With just one goal in the last four league games, McGhee knows there is massive room for improvement.

He said: “I think it’s the whole play. We haven’t had a consistent pattern of play to develop a way of getting service to the strikers. The build-up, the quality of the service, the quality of the finishing; everything has still got to get to a level of what is required to get two or three goals a game.

“Chris Maguire has to do more but potentially he is as good a finisher as anyone and with his quickness and ability he should be playing more than he has been.

“He still has to be doing things we want him to do and doing it our way. He has his own ideas on how he thinks he can be effective for the team. I think I know how he can be more effective and once he starts doing it my way I think you’ll see him coming through.â€

That bit interests me, sounds like MM knows Maguire has an ego and is trying to drum it out of him. Fingers crossed he manages to do so, because there is little doubting Maguire's finishing when he hits a great shot. Just doesn't do it anywhere near enough.

That bit interests me, sounds like MM knows Maguire has an ego and is trying to drum it out of him. Fingers crossed he manages to do so, because there is little doubting Maguire's finishing when he hits a great shot. Just doesn't do it anywhere near enough.

It seems pretty obvious McGhee ain't a fan of Maguire as he hardly ever starts a match, and is below Miller, Paton and Mackie in the pecking order.  Fine by me, as I ain't convinced by Maguire at all.

Where's the 'just in' thoughts Al?!

Took small detour via local licensed premises for few lemon sherbets but here goes.

First half though we completely bossed the game without creating too many chances. Having said that  Gary Mac " goal " disallowed and point blank save by Brown on to the crossbar, were the highlights of first half that we bossed.

Second half the longer it went on, the more you started to think we'd regret the failure to turn possession into goals in first half. Once the Killie scored thought no way back for us, but once again Mulgrew delivers. Would like to make special of Foster at centre back, apart from from one major slip at the end [where Clangers saved him ] he did fuck all wrong.

Heard Murder MacLeod gave MOTM to Connor Salmon, if true, only proves that Murdo is one bitter fuck against all that is ABERDEEN FOOTBALL CLUB 

Took small detour via local licensed premises for few lemon sherbets but here goes.

First half though we completely bossed the game without creating too many chances. Having said that  Gary Mac " goal " disallowed and point blank save by Brown on to the crossbar, were the highlights of first half that we bossed.

Second half the longer it went on, the more you started to think we'd regret the failure to turn possession into goals in first half. Once the Killie scored thought no way back for us, but once again Mulgrew delivers. Would like to make special of Foster at centre back, apart from from one major slip at the end [where Clangers saved him ] he did fuck all wrong.

Heard Murder MacLeod gave MOTM to Connor Salmon, if true, only proves that Murdo is one bitter fuck against all that is ABERDEEN FOOTBALL CLUB 

No wonder, I met his daughter last night (I've known her for a few years) and gave her pelters. ;)