Saturday 20th April 2024: Ā kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

šŸ”“āšŖļø Stand Free! āšŖļøšŸ”“

Hamilton vs Aberdeen (22/08/09)

I thought despite the scoreline they still played fairly poorly, the passing was terrible and for some reason we didn't close down their midfield at all. Play like that against a team with any real ability and we'll be in trouble. On a side note though, how fucking pleased was Considine when scored? He looked like he was going to vault the barrier and run into the stand to celebrate with everyone.

Ā 

SKMG.

I'll ignore the mince in your other post, but I think you are pretty harsh here. Yesterday was a massive improvement on what I have seen over the last year (only 5th SPL win in 2009!). Ā Passing wasn't perfect but it was pretty good and I thought we looked quite comfortable on the ball. Ā Also good to see players actually having a pop at goal more often. I think we had more shots on goal in the first 10mins than I've seen us have in entire matches.

Ā 

Of course a better side would have posed us more problems but this is a side who we struggled, and failed, against last year and to win any game in the SPL so comfortably is both a novelty and impressive.

Ā 

Heard Fyvie got MotM on the BBC and he certainly was impressive. Scary to think the lad is only 16yrs old as he looked very assured and certainly didn't shy away from getting stuck in when need be. Will be interesting to see how and when MM uses him when we have a fully fit squad but I'd suggest if he can put on a display like that most weeks then McDonald may be a bit nervous about his place.

Ā 

Also thought Crawford looked very comfortable, although to be fair he wasn't faced with too much. It certainly made a dfference having a RB at RB.

Ā 

MotM for me however had to be Mulgrew. Stunning goal and 2 assists. Even his defending was fairly competent for most the match.

Ā 

Good to finally get that first win of the season and hopefully the squad takes some confidence from this into the next few games which are all very winnable. And even better that the youth system appears to be finally bearing fruit. Ā Correct me if I'm wrong but Willie brought in Lenny Taylor 5yrs ago and the pair of them have completely rejigged our youth set up. Ā These things obviously take time but hopefully this is just a sign of things to come.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, can you honestly say you could have seen Calderwood doing what McGhee done yesterday?Ā  I can honestly say Fyvie or Crawford would not have been on the pitch at any point.

Ā 

I loved the game yesterday, first time in a year I can honestly say I enjoyed a game.

Ā 

Yeah: Considine, Diamond, Maguire, Paton, & Pawlett never got a chance under Calderwood.Ā  ::)

Maguire too, and he also gave youth a chance with non-homegrown talent such as Aluko and Walker...in particularly high profile matches too.

Ā 

I'm well aware that Diamond and Considine had their debuts before JC, but he continued to support them to the point that they became regular 1st XI players.

Ā 

Of all the criticisms that had been levelled at JC: tactical ineptitude, poor motivation, crap training sessions, substitution blunders etc. I don't think lack of support for our younger players was one of them.

Ā 

Ā 

I'll ignore the mince in your other post, but I think you are pretty harsh here. Yesterday was a massive improvement on what I have seen over the last year (only 5th SPL win in 2009!). Ā Passing wasn't perfect but it was pretty good and I thought we looked quite comfortable on the ball. Ā Also good to see players actually having a pop at goal more often. I think we had more shots on goal in the first 10mins than I've seen us have in entire matches.

Ā 

Of course a better side would have posed us more problems but this is a side who we struggled, and failed, against last year and to win any game in the SPL so comfortably is both a novelty and impressive.

Ā 

Heard Fyvie got MotM on the BBC and he certainly was impressive. Scary to think the lad is only 16yrs old as he looked very assured and certainly didn't shy away from getting stuck in when need be. Will be interesting to see how and when MM uses him when we have a fully fit squad but I'd suggest if he can put on a display like that most weeks then McDonald may be a bit nervous about his place.

Ā 

Also thought Crawford looked very comfortable, although to be fair he wasn't faced with too much. It certainly made a dfference having a RB at RB.

Ā 

MotM for me however had to be Mulgrew. Stunning goal and 2 assists. Even his defending was fairly competent for most the match.

Ā 

Good to finally get that first win of the season and hopefully the squad takes some confidence from this into the next few games which are all very winnable. And even better that the youth system appears to be finally bearing fruit. Ā Correct me if I'm wrong but Willie brought in Lenny Taylor 5yrs ago and the pair of them have completely rejigged our youth set up. Ā These things obviously take time but hopefully this is just a sign of things to come.

Ā 

The goals, and the quality of the goals papered over the cracks quite heavily. How may times did we give the ball away in a completely needless manner? We also really struggled to clear our lines at times, the goalmouth stramash in the second half being a very good example.

Calderwood played quite a few youngsters and then shipped them out because he didn't think they were good enough.

Ā 

Johnnie Stewart for example and rightly so because he was a bit shit.

Ā 

Big John Stewart wasn't so much 'shipped' out, more sold onfor a profit on the same day we managed to sign Lee Miller on a free transfer...

Ā 

JMG

Big John Stewart wasn't so much 'shipped' out, more sold onfor a profit on the same day we managed to sign Lee Miller on a free transfer...

Ā 

JMG

Aye that profit that went in to John Stewarts back pooch?Ā  The fee recieved went to Stewart as compo because he was taking a massive pay cut to go to Falkirk.

Ā 

JRIG :hammer:

Aye that profit that went in to John Stewarts back pooch?Ā  The fee recieved went to Stewart as compo because he was taking a massive pay cut to go to Falkirk.

Ā 

JRIG :hammer:

Ā 

Getting him off the payroll for nothing so that wages are freed up for Miller? Yeah, that's poor business right enough.

Ā 

Is this not getting a wee bit tedious; folk either attacking Calderwood's actions consistently to vindicate their opposition of his tenure and his ultimate dismissal or (although less common) defending him to the hilt because they didn't fancy McGhee? Let's face it, he did some things right and some things wrong...can we not just move on though eh?

Getting him off the payroll for nothing so that wages are freed up for Miller? Yeah, that's poor business right enough.

Ā 

Is this not getting a wee bit tedious; folk either attacking Calderwood's actions consistently to vindicate their opposition of his tenure and his ultimate dismissal or (although less common) defending him to the hilt because they didn't fancy McGhee? Let's face it, he did some things right and some things wrong...can we not just move on though eh?

Ā 

No, the forum would die if weren't arguing about Jimmy.Ā  :thumbsup: