Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

P&J: McGhee set for Paris signing dash

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long can it take to sign a free player from a French first division club? The Franz Fox Glacier moves faster than this transfer saga!

Not a free. He has two years of his contract to run at his current club. We are now looking at getting him in on loan but looks like his club are digging their heels in on this as they want to sell.

We would have equally have been fucked without plenty of other players in that case. That said, it is true he is our best centre half, but he should have developed into that before now anyway, bearing in mind he's now probably one of, if not THE highest paid player at the club.

Those points aren't necessarily untrue but then neither is my initial thought of us being fucked without Zander last season. We wouldn't have finished 4th without him.

Not a free. He has two years of his contract to run at his current club. We are now looking at getting him in on loan but looks like his club are digging their heels in on this as they want to sell.

FFS sake! I liked the sound of this guy as well but we're just not going to get him!

I've just read that Johnson turned out as a trialist on Saturday for Plymouth Argyle.

I tell you, Plymouth must surely be able to outbid any Scottish club for whoever they want simply off the fact that they don't seem to have any sort of scouting system. Looks like they've saved a fortune by simply hiring someone to read the Sunday Mail once a week. Whoever Aberdeen are looking at, Plymouth decide to go for too. :hammer:

Get yer own fuckin signing targets, you wanks!

"Wants to be in Scotland, Paul Sturrock wants to be in Scotland, wants to be in Scooooooootland"

I've just read that Johnson turned out as a trialist on Saturday for Plymouth Argyle.

I tell you, Plymouth must surely be able to outbid any Scottish club for whoever they want simply off the fact that they don't seem to have any sort of scouting system. Looks like they've saved a fortune by simply hiring someone to read the Sunday Mail once a week. Whoever Aberdeen are looking at, Plymouth decide to go for too. :hammer:

Get yer own fuckin signing targets, you wanks!

"Wants to be in Scotland, Paul Sturrock wants to be in Scotland, wants to be in Scooooooootland"

Team lines for Plymouth on Saturday:

Argyle (4-4-2): 27 Lloyd Saxton; 22 Zoltan Szélesi (David McNamee half-time), 5 Krisztián Timár (capt), 11 Bryan Spring (19 Marcel Seip 61), 15 Chris Barker (Gary Sawyer half-time); 6 Chris Clark (20 Luke Summerfield 73), 3 Jim Paterson, 7 Jason Puncheon, 8 Jamie Mackie (14 Rory Fallon 86); 24 Ashley Barnes (10 Bradley Wright-Phillips 81), 9 Steve MacLean (4 Carl Fletcher half-time). Substitute (not used): 1 Romain Larrieu (gk).

So no Johnson but both Paterson (who scored) and McLean started.

Also note on their website that it says Paterson has "probably been on the pitch for more pre-season minutes than any other outfield Pilgrim"

So those two will be staying put then.

I reckon Luggy is doing it on purpose, still holding a grudge against us from the 80s

Guest ally s

I hate to say I told you so...

I think it would be a bit unfair to suggest we're fucked without Diamond on the back of one match.  I reckon we'd still have been given a doing had Diamond played.

I think it would be a bit unfair to suggest we're fucked without Diamond on the back of one match.  I reckon we'd still have been given a doing had Diamond played.

I don't think the score would have been as bad as it was. At least Diamond is able to make a defensive header. That back 4 all season long = No top 6 finish!

Perhaps not but we would still have been as bad. If you think one players absence created that doing last night try thinking a bit harder.

Created, no; contributed, aye.

To go into a season with only two centre halves who have amassed at least one senior appearance just beggars belief. The fact is we are relying on the often erratic Zander to a staggerring extent, especially as Considine looked no better than any of the other clueless fuckers playing in the back four last night.

Say what you want about Young for example...honest...heid never goes doon etc...he looked paralytic in the first half, small wonder the Czechs got their act together and pounced on our obvious frailties. Its been a good while since we've been burdened with a defence as poor as this one, and it needs shaping up quickly.

Last night we demonstrated a combination of:

Lack of character, which has been evident for some time

Underestimation of the oppo, particularly from McGhee (although his hands are tied to some extent)

Lack of an established centre-half, right-back or left-back. Zander is only part of this solution.

The lack of such defenders however, will write off this season pretty quickly if it isn't sorted. You can have the prettiest fucking passing triangles or the most oscillating waves of attack you want, but if there isn't a big bastard at the back to show some kind of leadership, defensive ability or even evidence of brain activity, then you're gonna be screwed over like last night more times than you'd care for.

Perhaps not but we would still have been as bad. If you think one players absence created that doing last night try thinking a bit harder.

I don't think the score would have been as bad as it was. At least Diamond is able to make a defensive header. That back 4 all season long = No top 6 finish!