Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Transfer targets and a re-signing Jamie Smith?

The P&J this morning reports that McGhee will move to take Jim Paterson (ex United and Motherwell defender) on a season long.  He also wants to take one of Maros Klimpl or Stephen Hughes from Motherwell, but not both. Hughes has been spoken to and has asked for time to weigh up the offers he's had.

Klimpl is only on loan at Well and his agent is close to securing a free transfer from his holding club.

Jamie Smith hasn't signed for Toronto so McGhee and Leitch are going to speak to him, and if they can get to the root of his injury problems we may be offering him a contract.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McGhee wants Pilgrims defender

pittodrie door still open for jamie smith as new manager also hopes to secure hughes or klimpl

By Alex Martin and Paul Third

Published: 17/06/2009

Aberdeen’s new manager Mark McGhee wants to make Plymouth defender Jim Paterson his first signing and has left the door open for injury-plagued winger Jamie Smith to return to Pittodrie.

Ex-Motherwell manager McGhee has identified his summer transfer targets quickly after his appointment last Friday and has also made inquiries about Fir Park pair Stephen Hughes and Slovakia international Maros Klimpl, but wants to sign just one of these midfielders.

Paterson began his professional career at Dundee United before moving to Motherwell in 2004 after eight years at Tannadice, where he twice suffered a broken leg.

He was sold by McGhee to Championship club Plymouth Argyle for £250,000 on January 31 last year on a three-and-a-half year deal. But Plymouth manager Paul Sturrock is ready to allow the Bellshill-born defender to move to Pittodrie on a season-long loan.

The Pilgrims struggled against the threat of relegation from the second tier of English football for much of last season and Sturrock wants to transform his squad. But he must get players out as the club has financial problems and Sturrock would be happy to allow Paterson to join the Dons.

Jamie Smith was released by the Dons after four injury-ravaged seasons at Pittodrie and had been offered the chance to revive his career in MLS with Canadian club Toronto.

But McGhee is an admirer of the former Celtic and Den Haag winger and would be willing to investigate the root cause of the 28-year-old’s injury problems with the prospect of handing him a return to the SPL, although there is interest from both MLS and English clubs.

Aberdeen assistant manager Scott Leitch, a former team-mate of Paterson’s at Fir Park, would relish the chance of again working with the player.

Leitch, who is currently in Sweden studying his Uefa Pro Licence, said: “Jim is a very good player. Jamie Smith also comes into that category.

“We thought Jamie had signed with Toronto, but it looks as if it has not gone through yet. If that’s the case we will be keen to talk to him as he is another who can influence games.â€

Stephen Hughes, whose Motherwell contract has expired, began his career at Rangers before an ill-fated spell in England with Leicester City. He has been offered a contract by Hearts and also has suitors in England.

Hughes had previously said he is not willing to move as far north as Aberdeen, but McGhee hopes either Hughes or Klimpl will add bite to a Dons midfield which will be missing former captain Scott Severin following Severin’s free transfer move to English Championship club Watford.

Leitch said: “The manager spoke to Stephen Hughes at the weekend and outlined his plans for the club next season.

“Stephen was interested but he admitted he had other offers to consider and has asked for time to weigh them up.â€

Klimpl, 28, made an immediate impact at Motherwell as a defensive midfielder or centre half after signing on loan from Danish club FC Midtjylland.

He had been under contract until December 2010 but his agent Jan Levy is close to securing his release on a free transfer.

Levy said: “We have agreed with Midtjylland to cancel his contract and it should be finalised this week.

“Aberdeen have been in touch but there has been no concrete offer. Maros enjoyed Scottish football, so we will see what now develops.â€

I can hardly contain my excitement.  So we're going to spend the money freed up from Jamie Smith's wages.....on Jamie Smith.

A new beginning, a clean slate, a fresh approach.  I'm nipping down for my season ticket right now.

Guest ally s

I used to think Paterson was utter shite until McGhee took over at Motherwell, he seemed to up his game considerably and looked a decent player.

I can't help thinking Smiths injury problems will end up being sorted by some random cure, like tying a bit of string round his left pinky. But even if his injuries are sorted I can't help thinking his performances are a bit hot and cold anyway, so even on pay as you play it would have to be on reduced terms.

Guest ally s

Is Paterson not a left back? What does that mean for Mulgrew? Move into midfield or out the door?

No mention of a centre back or striker either.

Aye Paterson's a left back, would assume that means Mulgrew will be moved into midfield (his best position imo).

Do we need another striker?

Would like to see Smith sign up again because if he goes I just can't see us getting in a replacement full stop. Let alone one that can actually play football. It would have to be on our terms obviously because of his fragility.

I'd love to see a fit Jamie Smith playing for us again, however Motherwell better not become the new Dunfermline for our scouts, that's just lazy.

I don't think this is necessarily laziness or scouting as such, it's just McGhee looking towards players he has worked with before that are available on the cheap this summer.

Always thought the Dunfermline thing was overblown anyway.

Aye Paterson's a left back, would assume that means Mulgrew will be moved into midfield (his best position imo).

Do we need another striker?

Saw him play there for Scotland U21s a couple of times and has been excellent (penatly miss apart) in both games so can see that working.

Do not think any of our current strikers get anywhere near enough goals especially from open play so think this is a position we desperately need to stengthen along with expereinced defender to play alongside Zander.

Guest ally s

Aye, two.

If he (McGhee) can have the same effect on Maguire and Mackie ;D that he had on Clarkson and McGarry then we'd have no need to bring in more strikers.

As much as I'd like a fully fit Jamie Smith at the Dons, can we really risk it after 3 years (don't think his first season was interrupted by injury too much) of him being injured so much? We've wasted a lot of money on him already, I think if we were to give him another deal it could be rather foolish. Time to move on for both parties in my opinion.

I'd rather see Klimpl than Hughes. Is Hughes not similar to MacDonald and Klimpl more of an engine in midfield ? I might be spouting pish but he would be my preference.

I like Hughes but just can't see him coming anyway. Think Kimpl helped change Well for the better when he signed in jan he just added that extra bite in the middle. Also we don't know how long Kerr will be out for??

I would also offer Smith a one year deal as i think we will struggle to replace him so might as well sign him if we get to the bottom of his injury problems.