Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

"McGhee to be named Dons manager" - Sunday Herald

To be honest, I note the exact opposite on AFC Chat.... for many of the younger members, Jimmy Calderwood presided over the most successful period of their time as Dons supporters.  For anyone under the age of 25, being an Aberdeen supporter was akin to subjecting yourself to weekly ritual humilation, until that is Jimmy Calderwood arrived and turned things around..... I believe he's quite popular among our younger demographic.  

........while many of the over 30's like BobbyConnor, LondonScottish, RTYD, Muttonhumper, Bripod & Tommy, all of whom remember better days, and better Aberdeen teams, were among the hardcore JMG membership.

In reality the Calderwood reign was neither extreme... Jimmy did a great job turning around Aberdeen and establishing us as a top 6 side, rather than perenial relegation candidates.  By the end of his time here, it was pretty clear he'd run out of ideas, and had taken the club as far as he possibly could.  Had he remained in charge, I've no doubt we'd have finishing top 6 into infinity and beyond..... some supporters are happy with that, others quite clearly weren't....

Calderwood was clearly sacked as the Aberdeen board decided they needed to make a change in order to continue the progress that Calderwood had made over the past 5 years.  I think it's hard, for anyone looking objectively at the Calderwood era, to argue against the fact he'd plateaued at Aberdeen.  However, the question remains; "is Mark McGhee a better option than Calderwood?"   I, personally, see no evidence to suggest he'll be any better than Calderwood.

In my opinion, the Scottish cup and regular 3rd place finishes represent "the next level" for Aberdeen.  I thank Jimmy for rebuilding Aberdeen, he did a great job, but all things considered I think it probably was time to take risk, make a change and shoot for that "next level".  I don't however, believe Mark McGhee is the man to do it.  I'd probably rather we'd kept jimmy and handed the Motherwell compensation/three Jimmies severance money to strengthen the player pool....

Thing is though there are plenty of us who are old enough to remember the good times who were happy with what Calderwood was doing, in the big picture. Yeah we were fucking disappointed by the cup exits, these things happen, maybe not with the same predictable regularity, but still they happen. Other than that I think Jimmy was meeting more than acceptable targets. You can argue about budgets, as far as I can tell Twice fuck-all is still probably fuck-all especially in modern football terms, and lets be honest all a bigger budget means for non-OF teams is that your best players are slightly better. If they are injured or suffer a loss of form your left with your own equivalent of the average SPL clogger, seen turning out up and down the country. Add in losing your best players to the second best League in the world TM. (The Championship) every second year, resulting in you starting from scratch again, it is going to be very hard to maintain 3rd every season.

Everywhere I read moans about how money is killing the game but folk don't seem to equate that reality to their own club. Just imagine if the club had no debt the team that Jimmy could have had. Without getting into naming players I think there has been enough quality that we just couldn't afford to keep, gone, that if they had stayed we could have been challenging the OF now.

I also think that Jimmy was beginning to put together a decent lot of young players presumably buoyed by his long term contract, whether Jimmy can take credit for that in full, or if Miller should also take some of the credit is to be debated, but it will be interesting to see how much the new man benefits from this and whether Jimmy will actually get any credit.

I just want my club back onto a sound financial footing, debt free, and able to actually mount a sustained challenge. Otherwise we risk falling further behind with no chance of ever getting back to our rightful place. Jimmy was providing that hope I'm keeping everything crossed the new man can maintain it.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in agreement with SonofRock. I'm thankful for what the Jimmies have brought to Aberdeen: respectability and a sense that we actually could reclaim our title of "third biggest club in the country".

But Jimmy did run out of ideas. In my view, him running out of ideas coincided with him signing a new contract at the beginning of February 2008. I think he should've gone back then. He was on a high in terms of his stock, he actually had some other clubs sniffing around in his general direction ... and the Aberdeen fans began to dislike him.

There's no doubt that he found his ceiling with Aberdeen by keeping us floating somewhere between third and fifth. But those who've been Aberdeen fans since before 1995 will understand just exactly why that is not good enough for Aberdeen. Those who take 3rd to 5th place as being substantial have obviously not tasted success with Aberdeen.

It wasn't that long ago that a 3rd place finish was regarded as an abysmal season for the Dons. Indeed, 2nd place got one of our managers fired! clinching 4th place on the final day of the season is NOT success, especially when the Dons had long since been knocked out of both cup competitions without so much as a "well, we gave a good account of ourselves".

Baggy talks of getting back to "our rightful place". Our rightful place is AT LEAST "best of the rest" with regular appearances in cup finals. That is where the Aberdeen I grew up with were, and that's where I've been dying to see them back at again. We don't need to compete with the Old Firm, as there's no point in even trying to compete with the wages they can command. But we SHOULD be beating everyone else. Hell, when was the last time we absolutely thrashed another SPL team? It's been a long long time since we've done so. By thrashing, I refer to the absolute tanking that Dundee Utd gave us during Roy Aitken's last game in charge.

I yearn for the days when we can start the season as FAVOURITES to clinch 3rd place and get to at least one of the two cup finals before a ball has even been kicked. Most other SPL clubs admit that Aberdeen are bigger than them. Some ponces like Hearts and Hibs like to pretend they're bigger than us.

Well here's some news for you, McGhee turned DOWN the Hearts job even though it was a massive increase in pay. If he becomes Dons manager, he's admitted it's not for the money. Now THAT tells you something about the size of Aberdeen FC.

I'm in agreement with SonofRock. I'm thankful for what the Jimmies have brought to Aberdeen: respectability and a sense that we actually could reclaim our title of "third biggest club in the country".

But Jimmy did run out of ideas. In my view, him running out of ideas coincided with him signing a new contract at the beginning of February 2008. I think he should've gone back then. He was on a high in terms of his stock, he actually had some other clubs sniffing around in his general direction ... and the Aberdeen fans began to dislike him.

There's no doubt that he found his ceiling with Aberdeen by keeping us floating somewhere between third and fifth. But those who've been Aberdeen fans since before 1995 will understand just exactly why that is not good enough for Aberdeen. Those who take 3rd to 5th place as being substantial have obviously not tasted success with Aberdeen.

It wasn't that long ago that a 3rd place finish was regarded as an abysmal season for the Dons. Indeed, 2nd place got one of our managers fired! clinching 4th place on the final day of the season is NOT success, especially when the Dons had long since been knocked out of both cup competitions without so much as a "well, we gave a good account of ourselves".

Baggy talks of getting back to "our rightful place". Our rightful place is AT LEAST "best of the rest" with regular appearances in cup finals. That is where the Aberdeen I grew up with were, and that's where I've been dying to see them back at again. We don't need to compete with the Old Firm, as there's no point in even trying to compete with the wages they can command. But we SHOULD be beating everyone else. Hell, when was the last time we absolutely thrashed another SPL team? It's been a long long time since we've done so. By thrashing, I refer to the absolute tanking that Dundee Utd gave us during Roy Aitken's last game in charge.

I yearn for the days when we can start the season as FAVOURITES to clinch 3rd place and get to at least one of the two cup finals before a ball has even been kicked. Most other SPL clubs admit that Aberdeen are bigger than them. Some ponces like Hearts and Hibs like to pretend they're bigger than us.

Well here's some news for you, McGhee turned DOWN the Hearts job even though it was a massive increase in pay. If he becomes Dons manager, he's admitted it's not for the money. Now THAT tells you something about the size of Aberdeen FC.

+1

There seems to have been a bit of a re-writing of history.

Towards then end of the season pretty much everyone seemed to be in agreement that JC had done a good job but, for various reasons, it was time for a change.

I have no doubt that afc needed to say "thanks but goodbye" to JC this summer as the club, support and football had stagnated, if not fallen back a notch or so in the last 12-18months.  There is no doubt JC could have delivered more of the same (sneaking top 6, finishing 4th or 5th, losing out in cups) and that was undoubtedly the safe option, but few people ever win anything by playing it safe.  At some point you have to take a risk to move yourself forward.

People now seem to be conflating this with the so called JMG-mob (no thanks to Niall it has to be said).  In reality outside of a few lunatics there have never been any JMGers or JIGers.  

Change is always unnerving, and perhaps McGhee won't do better than JC.  Perhaps he'll do worse.  But perhaps he'll do better.  I know I'm more excited about the new season without JC than I was with the prospect of JC.

Welcome aboard Mark.  I know you'll have the full backing of the fans and hopefully we can put an end to this pointless, depressingly repetitive bickering about Jimmy Calderwood.  

He has gone, I see no reason to celebrate this fact endlessly nor do I see any mileage in continuing to cry about it.  I dare say some folk are desperate to say "I told you so" at McGhee's first slip-up, "we should have kept JC", but that is as bad and as pathetic as Niall's constant bullshit.

Welcome aboard Mark, and if you could bring Clarkson with you that would be smashing :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The parts in bold are why I cannot take your post as a whole seriously.

As far as i'm aware Smith was sacked the season after he finished 2nd aftre a poor start?

Clearly your heart is in the right place Reekie but I think you should post stuff that's come from the head rather than the heart.

+1

There seems to have been a bit of a re-writing of history.

Towards then end of the season pretty much everyone seemed to be in agreement that JC had done a good job but, for various reasons, it was time for a change.

I have no doubt that afc needed to say "thanks but goodbye" to JC this summer as the club, support and football had stagnated, if not fallen back a notch or so in the last 12-18months.  There is no doubt JC could have delivered more of the same (sneaking top 6, finishing 4th or 5th, losing out in cups) and that was undoubtedly the safe option, but few people ever win anything by playing it safe.  At some point you have to take a risk to move yourself forward.

People now seem to be conflating this with the so called JMG-mob (no thanks to Niall it has to be said).  In reality outside of a few lunatics there have never been any JMGers or JIGers.  

Change is always unnerving, and perhaps McGhee won't do better than JC.  Perhaps he'll do worse.  But perhaps he'll do better.  I know I'm more excited about the new season without JC than I was with the prospect of JC.

Welcome aboard Mark.  I know you'll have the full backing of the fans and hopefully we can put an end to this pointless, depressingly repetitive bickering about Jimmy Calderwood.  

He has gone, I see no reason to celebrate this fact endlessly nor do I see any mileage in continuing to cry about it.  I dare say some folk are desperate to say "I told you so" at McGhee's first slip-up, "we should have kept JC", but that is a bad and as pathetic as Niall's constant bullshit.

Welcome aboard Mark, and if you could bring Clarkson with you that would be smashing :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Spot on GS. Well said.

I made a mistake with the size of tommy wright transfer fee.... I was out by £25,000.  That hardly equates to spreading propaganda, as you so boldly suggest.  Particularly when £100,000 was a figure widely bandied about in the media.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/733304?UserKey=

http://www.skysports.com/football/player/0,19754,11789_244801,00.html

http://www.darlington-fc.net/page/NewsDetail/0,,10339~1357669,00.html

I made a mistake with the size of tommy wright transfer fee.... I was out by £25,000.  That hardly equates to spreading propaganda, as you so boldly suggest.  Particularly when £100,000 was a figure widely bandied about in the media.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/733304?UserKey=

http://www.skysports.com/football/player/0,19754,11789_244801,00.html

http://www.darlington-fc.net/page/NewsDetail/0,,10339~1357669,00.html

OK, perhaps equating the small difference in a insignificant Scottish transfer fee with the propaganda techniques used by Nazi Germany is slightly over the top - but not by much!  :P I wouldn't put anything by the JMG mob!  ;)

Boyle hopes McGhee stays at Well 

McGhee's managerial talents are in demand by Aberdeen and Motherwell 

Motherwell chairman John Boyle hopes to convince club manager Mark McGhee that his future is at Fir Park.

Aberdeen are in talks to bring McGhee, 52, to Pittodrie, where he starred as a player, to replace Jimmy Calderwood who departed at the end of the season.

Boyle said on the club's website: "Nothing has been finalised as yet and we hope we can persuade Mark to stay."

Aberdeen's director of football Willie Miller had earlier described talks with Motherwell as "extremely encouraging".

The statement on the Motherwell website clarifies that Boyle, reluctantly, gave Aberdeen permission to talk to McGhee at the weekend.

But Miller, a former team-mate of McGhee in the early 1980s, was cautious in his comments on his club's website.

"We are attempting to reach an agreement on all fronts as soon as possible," he said.

"But, until everything is finalised, it would be premature to confirm that Mark will be the new Aberdeen manager.

"I've been involved in the game far too long not to realise there are many pitfalls that can affect things at this crucial stage, not least of which is the agreement of compensation between Motherwell and ourselves."

Mmmm I wonder, just never know what the truth of the matter really is. Both clubs jockeying for position and trying to save face.

One thing that supporting AFC for as long as I have, is to never count our chickens before they're hatched. This could all go pear shaped yet

Wonder what WM/SM's plan b looks like ???

there's so much emphasis on what JC would have done with money and what MMG will do with the funds available. Ultimately I feel the money has never been the only issue. I want the staff to bring on and develop our players not treat them as tactical monkeys positioned around their own shortcomiings. lets put the real work into playing the right way from the kids up and the club will flourish.

Skills can be improved with the right coaching, yes even Mackie

Mowbray's hibs were worth fuck all before he arrived, then they were selling for millions. This is what we need to aim for.

One thing that supporting AFC for as long as I have, is to never count our chickens before they're hatched.

Haha, how true is that ... and then some?!! Remember when we actually paraded Jim McInally with his Aberdeen top and red scarf at Pittodrie, only for Peter Heatherston's medical to fail at Raith Rovers and the swap-deal was cancelled?!