Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Now Butcher is backing Caldo

Dont know if its been posted or not but here it is again if its not

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/i/inverness_ct/7993160.stm

Butcher backing for Dons manager 

Inverness boss Terry Butcher is stunned by the flak his Aberdeen counterpart Jimmy Calderwood has taken this season.

"I think the Aberdeen fans are very quick to point fingers," said Butcher, who visits Pittodrie on Saturday.

"They're still in the top six and in contention for a European place, and that's not bad in my book.

"I find it amazing to see the criticism handed out to a man who's made Aberdeen a top-six side and had to do it by changing his squad round constantly."

Calderwood, who is in his fifth season with the Dons, is under increasing pressure, with supporters calling for his head after a disappointing Scottish Cup exit to Dunfermline.

The quarter-final loss to the Pars was the third cup defeat to a lower league side in the last three seasons.

However, Aberdeen sit fourth in the table and have always finished in the top six under Calderwood.

"They have quality players, a good support and a club that has a great tradition of being there when the prizes are handed out," added Butcher.

"He's always looking to add more quality and take them onto that next level but that's a long, slow process and I think people have to more patient.

"People can look at their cup results and say they haven't been good enough, but only a few teams win the cups in this country.

"When you play against smaller teams, they raise their game against you and anything can happen.

"In the last few years on both sides of the border, teams outside the top flight have made cup finals and that's an indication the gap between the divisions is getting narrower."

Inverness have a shocking record against Aberdeen but finally ended a long winless run at Pittodrie back in August.

And Butcher is looking for another good result to boost his side's hopes of SPL survival.

"We're staying over on the Friday night to prepare properly and give Aberdeen a real go," said the former England skipper, whose side beat St Mirren last time out to move four points clear of danger.

"I've been there in the past with Motherwell and enjoy going there, especially when you get a good result. When you've won games as a player, you want to play straight away and the guys are raring to go.

"We've done really well against top-six clubs in my time here and it's not one to fear. I regard the match as a bonus; we're not playing one of our relegation rivals and I hope we can enjoy the occasion."

The best bit about this article is the pic of Caldo they have :-

_45652414_butchercaldo66.jpg

Why do they bother trotting out these people?, who gives a feck what the other SPL managers, ex AFC managers, ex players, tea ladies think?!?.......at the end of the day they're nae the ones freezing their nether regions off at todders on a cold, dark, drizzley midweek game, dodging seagulls and watching yet another high ball being cleared from the opposition box by their 8ft 6" defenders

They've beaten us twice in pre season games too. :(

FFS thats the final straw, JMG!! wheres my tooteroo for the protest tomorrow.....

One thing i was wondering, were people so critical of the football we were playing in calderwoods first season?

Same dull defensive style as now, the only difference being teams didnt come and sit in against us so we managed a few more results against the wee teams....

One thing i was wondering, were people so critical of the football we were playing in calderwoods first season?

Of course not, this was post paterson so we were to busy rubbing our eyes in disbelief at the mythical clean sheet we had heard other fans talking about