Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

EE: Our kids will save Aberdeen a fortune

Our kids will save Aberdeen a fortune

Aberdeen FC boss Calderwood happy with his deadly dozen

By Charlie Allan :wave:

Published: 11/03/2009

ABERDEEN FC manager Jimmy Calderwood believes his youngsters will save the club a fortune in the years ahead.

Calderwood is on a scouting mission in England this week as he considers making more new signings in the summer.

But the Aberdeen FC boss admitted it’s likely he will choose to take only one fresh face in because he wants to leave the path clear for their star 12 – Peter Pawlett, Jonathan Crawford, Scott Ross, Stirling Smith, Ryan Jack, Nicky Clark, Fraser Fyvie, John Bateman, Callum McRobbie, Mitchell Megginson, Sammy Stewart and Rogvi Holm – to make their push for the big time.

Calderwood said: “Those kids could end up saving us a fortune this summer and over the next few years. I can’t say for certain how many players we will need to take in until we know if Scott Severin, Jamie Smith and Lee Mair plan to stay.

“If all three signed new contracts, we might only need one new player in the summer, two at the most.

“That’s because we have such an abundance of good young lads coming through.â€

Calderwood is particularly keen to see Hull-born winger Pawlett making his mark over the next year or so.

The teenager showed promise when he appeared as a second-half substitute during their recent victory over East Fife in the Scottish Cup.

Calderwood said: “We certainly won’t be looking to take in another right-sided player if Jamie Smith stays.

“That’s because we are convinced we already have the ideal competition for him in young Pawlett.’’

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The future of the club depends on these players been given a chance to show what they can do.

If not we are going to be left with a team full of journeyman i.e. mair, duff, young, foster etc.

We know the afor mentioned arnt good enough so why not give at least one of them a regular chance.

The future of the club depends on these players been given a chance to show what they can do.

If not we are going to be left with a team full of journeyman i.e. mair, duff, young, foster etc.

We know the afor mentioned arnt good enough so why not give at least one of them a regular chance.

Do you know what journeymen means?  :-\

How's Foster a journeyman if he's only played for one club?  (so far)

Thats what I thought. Nor could Duff be classed as a journeyman as he has only played for United and the Dons.

However, according to Wiki, a journeyman (in the sports sense) is a professional sports player who is technically competent, but unable to excel.

Thats what I thought. Nor could Duff be classed as a journeyman as he has only played for United and the Dons.

However, according to Wiki, a journeyman (in the sports sense) is a professional sports player who is technically competent, but unable to excel.

That rules out Foster then  :thumbsup:

Thanks for telling me what I already know, but I wouldn't have quoted you and posted the  :hammer: smiley if you'd referenced a dictionary in the first place.  Wiki is gash.  :thumbsup:

Anyhow, do you think that when stoney made the following quote;

He reckons that Mair/Duff/Young/Foster are 'experienced and competent';)