Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Helicopter ditches in North Sea

Mackie's ace!

Fair enough, but I'd imagine it varies wildly. Probably the worst time of year for such a thing to happen as well. Hopefully never have to find out if its true or not.

Being on a rig and looking at the sea below at night makes my balls tingle at the thought of ever being in there. Never mind having the helicopter you're travelling in drop out of the sky. At night.

:shudder:

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7898472.stm

Every four years I have to go on a course to train in escape from Helicopters that have capsized when they have ditched in the water. When I go offshore I am dressed in a survival dry suit with a thermal liner. We have been flying helicopter to offshore platforms since the mid 60's with little improvement in their safety. If it is necessary to send people on course and near drown them and then dress them in survival suits to travel in these machines there is some thing wrong with this mode of transport!Edmund Fitch, Lewes, England

Every four years I have to go on a course to train in escape from Helicopters that have capsized when they have ditched in the water. When I go offshore I am dressed in a survival dry suit with a thermal liner. We have been flying helicopter to offshore platforms since the mid 60's with little improvement in their safety. If it is necessary to send people on course and near drown them and then dress them in survival suits to travel in these machines there is some thing wrong with this mode of transport!Edmund Fitch, Lewes, England

What a fucking tool, of course safety has increased.  Three operators in Aberdeen launch up to 40 aircraft every day, flying more than 300 return trips a week.  More people died in car crashes in Aberdeenshire yesterday than have died in helicopter accidents in the north sea in the last 10 years.

Get a fucking job you like Edmund, you cock.

funny ye mention that! A couple of months ago a guy at my work got caught trying to cheat it with the "condom filled with pish in the boxers trick" - he got caught cos the piss wasn't the correct temperature :doh:

Instant dismissal :wave:

It's just not worth it! Why do these idiots put so many colleagues' lives at risk?

The pilot I know has said that a few of the guys have been complaining about subtle differences in the cockpit configurations between the SuperPumas, although who can say at this moment if that played any role which resulted in them having to ditch.

As for rewards, I'm sure these guys get all the satisfaction with the rescue of 18 lives. Its a lot of time spent on standby doing absolutely nothing, so more than anything I'm sure they were happy to 'get a bit of action'.

Even justifies the huge expenditure for the BP-Jigsaw system in place. Money well spent.

Good to hear it was a 'controlled ditching' too, as a general rule people don't survive helicopter crashes.  :thumbsup:

Latest is that the machine stayed upright through the night (minus the tail section which presumably came off during the impact), overturned at some point this morning, and has now sunk.  Think the Flight data recorder may be in the tail section, so the prority will be to recover that first. 

I'm loving the sky news coverage, the primary school graphics, the speculation, the sketchy details, and the 'experts' are making the whole thing laughable.

Latest is that the machine stayed upright through the night (minus the tail section which presumably came off during the impact), overturned at some point this morning, and has now sunk.  Think the Flight data recorder may be in the tail section, so the prority will be to recover that first. 

I'm loving the sky news coverage, the primary school graphics, the speculation, the sketchy details, and the 'experts' are making the whole thing laughable.

Ah.

I thought the reason they'd had to ditch was due to them flying 18 fully grown men out to a rig in a cartoon cut-out helicopter.

These pictures do show what the floats would look like, but the helicopter is completely different.

And the punter must have been really scared to shit himself through a watertight survival suit.

Bond helicopters EC 225  Registration G-REDU (RIP in peace)

1111058_t.jpg