Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Helicopter ditches in North Sea

Mackie's ace!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7898093.stm

Helicopter ditches in North Sea

A helicopter, understood to have up to 20 people on board, has ditched on approach to an installation in the North Sea.

The Super Puma was believed to have ditched on approach to an installation 120 miles east of Aberdeen. The alarm was raised just before 1900 GMT.

Three helicopters - including two in-field aircraft and a Sea King from RAF Lossiemouth - are heading to the scene.

A Nimrod from RAF Kinloss has also been scrambled.

There is currently no information on those on board the ditched aircraft.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's a controlled ditching they will be able to get into liferafts, ideally nobody would even get their feet wet.  It's speculation until we find out if it's a ditching or a crash.

How do you get out a helicopter in water?

BBC News just now - 500 metres from platform apparently. Who operates in ETAP?

BP

I know one of the Helicopter pilots on the BP-Jigsaw that is assisting with the SAR now and thats his estimate on survival time.

He reckons that once you're in the water, you've got minutes. Stay dry and obviously survival time increases dramatically.

Remember the RGIT/Falck Nutec pool when you did your survival? That was at room temp...and that was cold enough. A bit different from about 2 degC sea temp!

Yeah, I think ETAP was mentioned as that is where the Search and Rescue helicopters are usually resident.

Mungo, Marnock, Machar and Monan comprise ETAP but as said its not been confirmed, it may be one nearby or anywhere in the Central North Sea within range. You've got Shearwater, Elgin-Franklin, Montrose, Arbroath, Clyde fairly close by.

Acutally, BP rep just said ETAP area. Fortunate in that respect as being closest to rescue opportunity.

Shit news, always my biggest fear when i step on the chopper. I would have thought you would survive longer with that suits on. I have to wear a thermal liner and 3 layers under my suit as well as taht is Shells policy dont know what other companys are like.

Looking at Bond website looks like there was a chopper due to go to ETAP and Galaxy 1 so could possibly be that one.

I think it sounds like a crash rather than a controlled ditching, that close to the rig there would be no reason to put it down in the water unless the pilot had no control.

I'm hearing it's a Bond aircraft, possibly an EC 225, approaching the Etap platform.

I know one of the Helicopter pilots on the BP-Jigsaw that is assisting with the SAR now and thats his estimate on survival time.

He reckons that once you're in the water, you've got minutes. Stay dry and obviously survival time increases dramatically.

Remember the RGIT/Falck Nutec pool when you did your survival? That was at room temp...and that was cold enough. A bit different from about 2 degC sea temp!

Boy from RAF Kinloss on BBC News said they could have survived in the water for a couple of hours.

He also said the helicopter is floating on water currently.