Daz Automatic

You're not counting the seasons he was top scorer then?

For me, it says more about the remainder of the squad than it does for Darren.  I just don't rate him as a player I'm afraid.  I don't think he's good enough to play for a team with ambitions of finishing in the 3rd place.

Out of interest which seasons did Darren finish top scorer?  What was his final tally and who were the other strikers in our squad?  When his competition is the likes of Leigh Hinds, Bryan Prunty & John Stewart, it's not surprising! Thankfully, we're a much better team than we were 4 or 5 years ago... to such an extent, I hoped we'd be able to finally bid goodbye to Darren Mackie.

Yes, the next level may be about to show another portal.

On Foster and Young you may well have a point but we will always have very average players in our squad.

What you do have to be a manager for is to make these decisions so getting angry about it is just plain daft.

In my opinion, the challenge for Aberdeen is to replace players Foster, Young & Mackie (Maguire doesn't look any better, but I do still hold out some hope for him).

I believe we could replace all 3 players with a player of greater ability/use, for the same money, improving our squad immeasurably...  The number of times I've finished watching a Dons match, rueing Darren Mackies poor finishing/first touch, Ricky Fosters seeming inability to pick out a red shirt with a pass, or Darren Youngs.... well... anything, is incredible.

I'm prepared to admit I'm wrong, but these guys continuing participation in the first team, in my opinion, is holding us back.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is not the opinion of a manager that is doing not too bad. I am more than prepared to say that Mackie is a limited fitba player and I'm no great fan of Foster either but JC picks them.

I guess I can't really argue with that.... essentially it amounts to my own belief, that replacing those two would be a quick and effective way to improve our team.  I'm disappointed Darren Mackie is staying on for those reasons... I'm trying not to complain, as I was a season ticket holder during the Miller/Skovdahl/Paterson era, so I remember very well, the days when we had a whole team of Darren Mackies, Richard Fosters & Derek Youngs.

I'm trying not to complain, as I was a season ticket holder during the Miller/Skovdahl/Paterson era, so I remember very well, the days when we had a whole team of Darren Mackies, Richard Fosters & Derek Youngs.

Worth pointing out that for all his faults, he's worked under a few managers at Pittodrie now, and only Pele tried to bin him (albeit on loan).

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/coventry-city-fc/football-rumours-gossip/2009/02/11/coventry-city-keep-tabs-on-darren-mackie-92746-22903504/

Coventry City keep tabs on Darren Mackie

Feb 11 2009

COVENTRY CITY are tracking Aberdeen striker Darren Mackie, according to reports in Scotland.

The Press and Journal reports that the 27-year-old pacy striker has signed a new contract with Aberdeen this week after interest from the Sky Blues.

Boss Jimmy Calderwood said: “I know Darren has had his critics, but he has been great for me.

“He has his limitations and if he didn’t he would be at a higher level, but he works hard on his game.

“Darren, with his pace and strength would do really well in the Championship."

If Miller and Calderwood think he merits a contract why the fuck are folk so vexed by it?

The professional football management careers of some of you has managed to pass me by completely.

To be perfectly fair, I've never acted  either... but I can tell you Keanu Reeves is an absolutely fucking diabolical actor just by watching him ply his trade.

Any time I've seen The Dazzler ply his trade I've been reminded of Keanu Reeves... in Johnny Mnemonic.

Being perfectly honest, he's not a bad squad player. Certainly for the pennies we're paying him, we'd struggle to get any better players. He is Dons daft, he's got a knack of scoring in very very crucial games, and he gets paid as much as a Green Final paperboy. We've had a lot more expensive players on Aberdeens books recently who've done a lot less than Oor Daz

Make-or-break week for Dons

We have two big games this week and we have to get Hearts game out of our heads, says Mackie

By Michael Gannon

Published: 16/02/2009

Aberdeen attacker Darren Mackie has urged his Dons team-mates to banish the memory of their defeat at Hearts and focus on the most important week of their season.

Mackie celebrated the signing of his new three-year contract at Pittodrie with one of the finest goals he has scored in a red shirt to open the scoring at Tynecastle on Saturday.

His stunning volley was to prove fruitless, however, as Hearts stormed back and claimed maximum points after goals from Christian Nade and Andrew Driver.

The defeat moved Hearts into third place in the SPL, two points ahead of Dundee United and four points clear of the Dons.

Aberdeen face Dundee United at Pittodrie on Saturday in a match which will be crucial to their third-place aspirations. Before then, however, the Dons must negotiate their rescheduled Scottish Cup fifth-round tie against East Fife at Pittodrie tomorrow.

Mackie knows the Dons’ destiny could be shaped this week.

He said: “This week is massive. We have the Scottish Cup tie against East Fife first and we do not want any slip-ups because we are determined to go as far as we can in the competition.

“After that we have another huge match against Dundee United in the SPL. That will be a major game for us to get three points in if we want to finish third.

“These are two big games and we have to get the Hearts game out of our heads.

“The race for third will be close. The teams involved are all taking points off each other and dropping points elsewhere.

“It will be a case of staying focused. We have got big games coming up thick and fast.â€

The defeat at Tynecastle may have been painful but Mackie’s goal was a thing of beauty. The 26-year-old latched on to Charlie Mulgrew’s superb long pass and smashed the ball into the net on the volley.

The forward, who signed his new deal at the start of last week, admitted the goal was sweet but he insisted his overall feeling was one of disappointment.

He said: “It was a pretty good goal. It was a great ball from Charlie. It seemed to take forever to drop but it was a good finish.

“It was not a good day, though, because we conceded a couple of sloppy goals and we did not get the three points we wanted.

“It was a blow for us for them to score right on half-time. They got a massive lift.

“We played better after their second goal but, by then, it was too little too late.

“It was good to get the contract sorted out, that is it off my mind now.

“I could have gone south, and I still might in the future, but I am happy at Aberdeen.â€

Seems like its rubbing off into the rest of the squad  :lolabove:

totally agree though, this week is HUGE for our season. I just hope they don't bottle it  :-\

He's scored a volley today.  A "moment of magic" apparently!  :thumbsup:

Cracking goal he scored on Saturday, and his overall performance was so much better than usual.

Will that continue though??. History says no. He has scored so many vital goals, but for each of them we can all recall several even I could have scored wearing high heels!

A few comments have been made regarding the apparent "low" wage he is on. Is this fact or speculation?  :-\