Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Todays fitba

The vast majority of his time he was stuck wide. That's what I was saying.

I know what you were saying. I'm suggesting that you might be wrong. That his unfitness was more of an issue for us than his positioning as evidenced by the times he did play centrally for us but was still poor. Unless you are saying that the times he played wide were detrimental to his confidence to the extent that it affected his performances when played centrally? If so, you could be right.

I know what you were saying. I'm suggesting that you might be wrong. That his unfitness was more of an issue for us than his positioning as evidenced by the times he did play centrally for us but was still poor. Unless you are saying that the times he played wide were detrimental to his confidence to the extent that it affected his performances when played centrally? If so, you could be right.

If his fitness was so much of an issue, why play him wide?  Rather than playing him in a position where he wouldn't have to do that defensive work?  Or why play him at all?

Either way, you seem to suggest that playing him in his favoured position several times from the bench (it had increased from a few from your first post, but that's being pedantic) was enough of a reason not to play him there? I think the guy deserved a decent chance in his favoured postion from the start, at least once or twice.

If his fitness was so much of an issue, why play him wide?  Rather than playing him in a position where he wouldn't have to do that defensive work?  Or why play him at all?

Either way, you seem to suggest that playing him in his favoured position several times from the bench (it had increased from a few from your first post, but that's being pedantic) was enough of a reason not to play him there? I think the guy deserved a decent chance in his favoured postion from the start, at least once or twice.

Because he was here and he needed some game time, GMS wasn't consistent, McGinn was only here for the second half of the season and we had Christie who was better than Stewart through the centre too. There were a multitude of reasons why he didn't get regular game time there, but I'm arguing that it was mainly through his own lack of fitness that he wasn't given a decent chance as opposed to the bit part opportunity. He didn't earn the right to get a decent chance and so he was left to pick up the scraps of opportunities out wide and sub appearances centrally (he did start at least one game in the centre at Pittodrie as I remember thinking it could be his chance, but I think he was just okay). You, correctly, questioned my suggestion that Wright should be played centrally for us against the hun and other games. For me, Stewart is in the same boat. Neither necessarily deserve an opportunity and should just take the chance they get. However, I quite liked Stewart and I didn't think he did that a bad job out wide, but I could see why he wasn't given a long run in the team as I don't think he worked hard enough - at that level of fitness he was just a half decent squad player.

Away to sign a new deal too. He was good for us, and left a better player than when he arrived with more experience. We've basically enhanced the value of one of their assets. Difficult to tell if it was worth it.

That is the problem for me, potentially enhancing the values of their players whilst overlooking our own kids.

There was no doubt he did do a job for us, bar his last few months where he didn't really do much, but possibly better all round not to have loans between clubs in the same league.

Richard Gordon said on radio last night  that a month ago Christie was very open to signing a pre-contract with us in January but that the Dhims were forced into playing him because of their ever increasing injury list and there is now no way it will be happening and as Rico says, is likely to sign a new deal with them shortly.

We are paying the price now for not showing a bit of ambition in August. I think £500k would have got him. £650k would definitely have got him. With what we are paying Man U for the Wilson loan, effectively we would have been paying £300-450k for an asset we would have owned with a decent chance of making a big profit in a couple of years

Aye, no from me also, and that is painful to say, I still genuinely miss him & I think the team still misses his style of play. You were guaranteed goals, assists and a minimum of 7 out of 10 performance every week from him.

But we need to look forward, if GMS was more direct and tried less of the flicks and tricks, he could be a very similar threat for us.

It's like a woman... or should I say "relationship" these days as so many of you are faggots. Although I've no experience of that so no, it's like a woman.

If you split up with a girlfriend, going back to her never works. Hayes is gone. He is part of our history. He's lost two years of his development and his career. He can't hope to be still match sharp.

However... in the poor standards that is the SPFL and to address our own attacking threat weakness, he would probably be more effective than what we have. Fuck knows. Rules are there to be broken.

Another good result for hearts!!! The meltdown continues. Also credit to us for that win last week!

To be fair to Hearts they are suffering horrendously with injuries, both their first choice centre backs and strie pairing are out for months.

On second thoughts, fuck 'em  :rofl:

Boca v River currently on Freesport in final of copa libertadores Final first leg. Currently 2-2 and atmosphere is amazing despite no away fans. Got to get to a game at La Bombanera.

Yes Manc I know you’ve been.

Agreed, absolutely brilliant game and the atmosphere was amazing.

There's a Boca documentary on Netflix, for those interested.

Agreed, absolutely brilliant game and the atmosphere was amazing.

There's a Boca documentary on Netflix, for those interested.

It's a good watch.  We missed the derby by a week, but was on when we were in Cordoba.  Was equally as nuts there.  Seems like most of the country support Boca.

Don't worry Jute, wasn't going to mention it  ;)  Only recommendation for anyone who does go.  Try not to sit with the tourists in the seats.  Get involved in the terracing below  8)

• 2 weeks later...

Decent game. Some good spells. Terrible defending for their goal, but not indicative of the overall performance. Forrest been excellent, Armstrong too. McKenna not done anything wrong, looks like he's been playing there for years. Paterson hoop at right back, but can probably be excused given he's a striker these days. Christie playing like he did at the beginning of last season - some great play littered with giving it away in stupid places, but overall good.