Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen vs East Fife

For the stattos out there.

Last meeting was in 1973/74 season in the penultimate season of the old Division 1.

30th March 1974: Aberdeen 2-0 East Fife in front of 5,000 fans. Aberdeen finished 4th that year while East Fife were relegated in 17th place (presumably their last season in the top league)

Scottish Cup Record

Played 7

Aberdeen Wins 1

East Fife Wins 3

Draws 3

05-02-1927 East Fife 1-1 Aberdeen

09-02-1927 Aberdeen 1-2 East Fife

05-03-1938 East Fife 1-1 Aberdeen

09-03-1938 Aberdeen 1-2 East Fife

31-01-1959 Aberdeen 2-1 East Fife

06-02-1965 Aberdeen 0-0 East Fife

10-02-1965 East Fife 1-0 Aberdeen

Overall Record:

Aberdeen Wins 23

Draws 8

East Fife Wins 17

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest swaddon

Did East Fife in the cup, not cost Tommy Pearson his managers job in, er 65? Why we got Turnbull?

And no, I'm not aul enough to remember it personally ::)

Yes, he resigned after we got pumped out of the cup.

Not that I'm old enough to remember it either, I'm just a geek.

We'll dump these mugs oot the cup nae bother! Although wouldn't mind it going to a replay to get a wee trip to a new ground.

The march to Hampden and the lifting of the 2009 Scottish Homecoming Cup continues!!!  8)

I have agreed with my jambo mate at work that we will meet in the final after we beat the old firm in the semis  ;D

• 3 weeks later...

I've had enough of dwelling on the Falkirk game so thought i'd change the subject!  :thumbsup:

Quite intrigued to see what team Jimmy puts out for this one, as we need a result but can see him dropping a few players after their no-show this weekend. Will Wright get an opportunity to start or is it too early?

I've had enough of dwelling on the Falkirk game so thought i'd chage the subject!  :thumbsup:

Quite intrigued to see what team Jimmy puts out for this one, as we need a result but can see him dropping a few players after their no-show this weekend. Will Wright get an opportunity to start or is it too early?

If Mackie plays I will never be back.  :P

I've had enough of dwelling on the Falkirk game so thought i'd change the subject!  :thumbsup:

Why would JC change the habit of a lifetime?! ..... he regularly doesn't drop players after their no-show, albeit tinkers and uses tombola unnecessarily too.

Also, from what I have read about the Falkirk game, do we have enough players in the squad to drop those that were no-shows v Falkirk?!  :-\

Apart from putting Aluko back in the side who else can we bring in?

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1059720

DONS boss Jimmy Calderwood is back on the Scottish Cup glory trail again this weekend.

He admits the pain of losing to Queen of the South in the semis last season is still fresh as they prepare to take on lowly East Fife in the fifth round at Pittodrie on Saturday.

And he revealed his players are still raging at losing 1-0 to Falkirk.

Now Calderwood hopes that anger can drive them into the quarter-final draw.

Q Have the players shaken off the shock of losing to Falkirk last weekend?

A Most definitely as they proved that to me in the dressing room after the 1-0 defeat.

Normally it’s just the management losing the plot but that wasn’t the case on Saturday.

There were a good few angry men and I see that as a good thing.

It underlines how determined they are to get it right every time.

If they direct that anger into the upcoming games we will be fine.

I used to despair at times because our dressing room was so quiet after games.

But that’s certainly not the case now and it was good to see the likes of Scott Severin, Mark Kerr, Gary McDonald and Jamie Langfield raging as much as I was after that defeat.

That attitude is what helped us go on the run that took us back up into the hunt for a European place.

It also makes me confident the players will go out with the right attitude on Saturday.

Q Have the bad memories of the defeat by Queen of the South eased at all in the nine months since it happened?

A No. It’s still gnawing away at my nerves and will probably continue to do so until we go all the way and actually win the cup.

It’s always at the back of my mind because it was such a terrible experience for all of us.

You can never forget.

All you can do is hope that some day you will get the chance to be forgiven by doing something more positive in the competition.

Q What do you hope to achieve in this season’s competition?

A Win it and ensure we will be back in Europe next season.

It’s the shortest and most direct route to Europe so we should be thinking along those lines.

If we win the next four cup games then we will be heroes and have achieved what we set out to do.

We beat Celtic last month and are capable of overcoming anyone in Scotland on our day.

It can be done.

Q What do you know about East Fife?

A Everything we need to. I watched them win 2-0 at Arbroath and was very impressed.

Gayfield is not the easiest of places to go to and win.

We also had them watched last weekend and will study reports of all of their recent performances.

They have nothing to lose, so will be very dangerous opponents.

They also have three of my former players, Stevie Crawford, Chris Templeman and Greig McDonald.

They would love to put one over me, but every effort has been made to ensure that does not happen.

Q Who is likely to pose the biggest danger to Aberdeen’s chances?

A The biggest danger is what is going on between the ears of my own players. If we show the proper mental attitude, there won’t be a problem.

But if they approach it as some of them did when we faced Queen of the South, then we could be in big trouble.

We are likely to have five players on Saturday who weren’t with us last May, so that shouldn’t be such a big worry.

I’m sure those who did play will be even more determined to avoid the sort of criticism they got when they slipped up the last time, so I don’t envisage any problems on that front. I certainly don’t want to experience something like that again and will be making that clear to the players.

Q Can you finally end Aberdeen’s nine-year wait to make it back to a final – and 19-year wait to win it?

A I’ve always thought it was strange that a club the size of Aberdeen hasn’t made it to a final for so long.

I accept there are teams who have also never been that far.

When I took Dunfermline to the final a few years ago a fan came up to me, holding his newborn child in his arms, to thank me.

It had been 36 years since the Pars made it to a final and he was convinced that might be the only time it might happen in his child’s lifetime!

That has always stuck in my mind as a reminder of how much making it to the Scottish Cup final means to fans.

The Dons fans are in agony because they haven’t been that far for nine years - they could have been worse.

But Aberdeen is such a massive club you have to expect their fans to demand more success than they have enjoyed in recent years. I would love to get to cup finals every year and believe we have a chance because we have quality players. But we have to earn it.