Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Jimmy claims he may quit after a cup win?

The following is on the bbc sport fitba gossip for friday:

Aberdeen boss Jimmy Calderwood would consider quitting his post at Pittodrie if he wins a cup. (Daily Record)

I realise it's probably the usual shite from that rag (which i will never ever buy). But has anyone read the article? Is this actually claimed in it? I'm actually surprised this wasn't published this time last week, but it was no doubt full of the usual tiresome simmy/durrant, 'fixture of hate' shite, plus an incident timeline.

Aye seen that this morning as well. I don't think that it would be the right time to leave. If his argument was that he'd taken us as far as he could, then that doesn't say much about him. I'm guessing he'd like to go out on a high as it would look better on his CV, but surely he could see that he could take us further than that. At least consistently finish at least 3rd and get to cup finals, top 6 finishing doesn't cut it for me. Does he have a lack of faith in his own ability?

he's here for the long haul then  ;)

;D

Aye Manc_don, i'd agree with you there. To my mind, rather than just try to win a cup, he should really be looking to try and consolidate third place & regular euro jaunts rather than win a cup & then bail out. Like you, i think this attitude is more C.V. motivated, rather than trying to do a good job for the club.

Maybe a bit of the lack of ambition he always bemoans about in the players, or merely fed up of the 'jimmy out' brigade?

;D

Aye Manc_don, i'd agree with you there. To my mind, rather than just try to win a cup, he should really be looking to try and consolidate third place & regular euro jaunts rather than win a cup & then bail out. Like you, i think this attitude is more C.V. motivated, rather than trying to do a good job for the club.

Maybe a bit of the lack of ambition he always bemoans about in the players, or merely fed up of the 'jimmy out' brigade?

But don't you understand, have you not been reading the internet forums.... the fans don't want consolidated top half finishes and trips to Europe. They are demanding silverware and if JC is not getting it they want him out! ::)

What's he supposed to do. :hammer:

;)

Jimmy might be hoping to at least get an offer from Englandshire if he were to win a cup.

Most definitely, as he is CV driven and was why I said he would want to leave on a high when his stock would be up the most (such as after a cup win). I don't think he'd get much bigger than us, but obviously he'd get a fair bit of extra cash to play with not only for his team but for himself.

The following is on the bbc sport fitba gossip for friday:

Aberdeen boss Jimmy Calderwood would consider quitting his post at Pittodrie if he wins a cup. (Daily Record)

I realise it's probably the usual shite from that rag (which i will never ever buy). But has anyone read the article? Is this actually claimed in it? I'm actually surprised this wasn't published this time last week, but it was no doubt full of the usual tiresome simmy/durrant, 'fixture of hate' shite, plus an incident timeline.

Dont believe it

He is only saying it because he knows there is little chance with the pish he has bought to the club

And if it does happen he will say the marvelous support he has had from the fans has given him a change of heart..

Aye seen that this morning as well. I don't think that it would be the right time to leave. If his argument was that he'd taken us as far as he could, then that doesn't say much about him. I'm guessing he'd like to go out on a high as it would look better on his CV, but surely he could see that he could take us further than that. At least consistently finish at least 3rd and get to cup finals, top 6 finishing doesn't cut it for me. Does he have a lack of faith in his own ability?

He's a wage collector. Plain and simple. The type of guy who rarely, if ever, ventures out of his comfort zone. He sees "Top 6" and "2 semi-finals" as an achievement, but what do you expect from someone who has never won a thing in his life?

He's a wage collector. Plain and simple. The type of guy who rarely, if ever, ventures out of his comfort zone. He sees "Top 6" and "2 semi-finals" as an achievement, but what do you expect from someone who has never won a thing in his life?

From where we were when he took over then I'd say they were achievements.

I'd be interested to hear what exactly he could do to move out of his 'comfort zone' though.  Having played and managed abroad and then took over one of the top Scottish sides who were struggling and gave them their most stable period in about 15 years.

I'd be interested to hear what exactly he could do to move out of his 'comfort zone' though.  Having played and managed abroad and then took over one of the top Scottish sides who were struggling and gave them their most stable period in about 15 years.

I'd agree with that. I know we go over it a lot, but fuck me, where we were when he took over was a depressing and embarassing state of affairs. As frustrating as he is, I will always be grateful for that. I just wish we could be a bit more consistent in our performances and results, as this league is well and truly shite.

The league is shite for two reasons:

1.  Clubs have no money.

2.  We're not producing any good players.

Now if anyone can tell me why Aberdeen Football Club should be any better than Hearts, Hibs or United given that they all fall into those catagories then I'm all ears.

Motherwell got third last year and are no where, we were third the year before and stuttering this season, Hibs won a string of a half dozen games and won a cup but have done little else since.

That's just the SPL for you and until we clear our debt or start producing good homegrown talent then that's what you're faced with.

What trophy do you get for finishing in the Top 6 of a shit league?

What exactly has he won in 35yrs in the game? Even when he got Dunfermline promoted, it was as runners-up...

What trophy do you get for finishing in the Top 6 of a shit league?

What trophy is anyone other than an O.F. manager is going to win our shit league?

What exactly has he won in 35yrs in the game? Even when he got Dunfermline promoted, it was as runners-up...

David Moyes didn't even manage to get Preston promoted into the Premiership before he was offered the Everton job.  Would you call Moyes a poor manager because he hasn't won any trophies or the league title for the team he's managed over the last 6 or 7 years?

I'd be surprised if any Everton fans who have half a braincell wants rid of him and I'd be surprised that anyone paying any attention to their club thinks he's done a poor job.

"But we have a shit league...........blah, blah, blah........."

Again, I'll ask:  Why should Aberdeen Football Club should be any better than Hearts, Hibs or United given that they have shite training facilities, are millions in debt, no real youth set-up until recently, etc, etc, etc?

The league is shite for two reasons:

1.  Clubs have no money.

2.  We're not producing any good players.

Now if anyone can tell me why Aberdeen Football Club should be any better than Hearts, Hibs or United given that they all fall into those catagories then I'm all ears.

Motherwell got third last year and are no where, we were third the year before and stuttering this season, Hibs won a string of a half dozen games and won a cup but have done little else since.

That's just the SPL for you and until we clear our debt or start producing good homegrown talent then that's what you're faced with.

There are two arguments being used here which have to be linked together. The standard of the league has come down to meet us as much as we have moved up in quality. To state that JC has brought us back to stability and respectability has to be in the context of the quality of our league and the competition within it. I don't disagree that JC has dragged us up to an acceptable standard but you should acknowledge the fact that you are not comparing apples with apples here.

There are two arguments being used here which have to be linked together. The standard of the league has come down to meet us as much as we have moved up in quality. To state that JC has brought us back to stability and respectability has to be in the context of the quality of our league and the competition within it. I don't disagree that JC has dragged us up to an acceptable standard but you should acknowledge the fact that you are not comparing apples with apples here.

Why am I not?

If you were to take each team in the SPL (not including the O.F.), break them down into monetary units and throw those amounts into a tombola type calculator, for example: [ground] + [training facilities] + [fans] + [corporate] + [debt] + [wages] + [blah] + [blah] + [blah] – the answers would all come out roughly the same = zero/shite/roughly the same.

Of course the Stoney’s of this world are going to say “But we pay more in wages!â€, but then I’ll put forward the notion that we have to pay more to entice them up to Aberdeen, away from the central belt.

Other than the fans singing “We’re by far the greatest team……..â€, I’m still waiting for someone to explain to me what God given right do we have to be the automatic third placed team each season?

Look at any team sheet on a Saturday and there are 2 or 3 players from each team who could walk into our starting 11.  There’s also probably double that of ours that wouldn’t be in with a shout at starting anywhere else.

The league is poorer but we’re getting stronger?  Really?  In what way?  I can’t see why we’re any different and I’m surprised to read that people think that given the start we’ve had.  Two of our top earners (Seve & Smith) haven’t kicked a ball in years, Zander hasn’t really recaptured the form he showed a few seasons ago and we’ve let most of our first team walk and then replaced them with benchwarmers like Young, Mair and Duff.

Take the rosy red specs off lads, we’re no better than anyone else in the league and the scraps that the O.F. leave over each season is as good as won by any of the other 10 pulled out of a hat at random.

It would be really interesting to see a league table of all the non-O.F. SPL teams that have played in the league since it started, with the following points awarded:

3 – Cup win, Won a game in Europe.

2 – Cup final runner up, 3rd place in SPL.

1 – Semi final of a cup, Top 6 finish.

Anyone on here honestly able to pick a clear winner?

It’s all much of a muchness if you ask me.

i.e. Shite.

It would be really interesting to see a league table of all the non-O.F. SPL teams that have played in the league since it started, with the following points awarded:

Yep, I think we'd win that.  And I also think you knew that too.  ;)

Why am I not?

If you were to take each team in the SPL (not including the O.F.), break them down into monetary units and throw those amounts into a tombola type calculator, for example: [ground] + [training facilities] + [fans] + [corporate] + [debt] + [wages] + [blah] + [blah] + [blah] – the answers would all come out roughly the same = zero/shite/roughly the same.

Of course the Stoney’s of this world are going to say “But we pay more in wages!â€, but then I’ll put forward the notion that we have to pay more to entice them up to Aberdeen, away from the central belt.

Other than the fans singing “We’re by far the greatest team……..â€, I’m still waiting for someone to explain to me what God given right do we have to be the automatic third placed team each season?

Look at any team sheet on a Saturday and there are 2 or 3 players from each team who could walk into our starting 11.  There’s also probably double that of ours that wouldn’t be in with a shout at starting anywhere else.

The league is poorer but we’re getting stronger?  Really?  In what way?  I can’t see why we’re any different and I’m surprised to read that people think that given the start we’ve had.  Two of our top earners (Seve & Smith) haven’t kicked a ball in years, Zander hasn’t really recaptured the form he showed a few seasons ago and we’ve let most of our first team walk and then replaced them with benchwarmers like Young, Mair and Duff.

Take the rosy red specs off lads, we’re no better than anyone else in the league and the scraps that the O.F. leave over each season is as good as won by any of the other 10 pulled out of a hat at random.

It’s all much of a muchness if you ask me.

i.e. Shite.

I'm not disagreeing with you and I am certainly not one to hammer home the idea that Calderwood has to go because we aren't always 3rd and winning cups. I personally feel that he has many limitations and that we could potentially be better under different management but I recognise how difficult that is to find and I am still willing to hope he can keep stumbling forward year on year, regardless of how frustrating it can sometimes be.

My point is that to say Calderwood has brought back respect and a standard of football that is no longer an embarrassment has to be within the context of a changing league and the competition he is facing. Its easy to say that life is so much better than it was under the previous managers in recent years without understanding the climate. Whether you want to split hairs over the quality you should expect from different budgets which vary very little or not you cannot ignore it as a contributor.

With the capture of players like Severin, Jamie Smith, MacNamara and more recently Mark Kerr (who UTD did not want to lose) I think Aberdeen FC have demonstrated that they can attract players from a better pool than most other clubs in the league. So in capturing establised players we have shown we posses a competitive advantage in my mind. However, somewhere in the management of these players or the scouting for uncut diamonds (ie youth) to compliment them we are allowing this position to erode at present. That for me is the glaring defficiency in the current management team at Pittodrie. It doesn't mean I am screaming for change, it does mean I am pragmatic about what we should expect but also what has actually been achieved to date.