Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest swaddon

I think it might be a draw. But I went for a 0-1 defeat in the predictor.

From what I've read on here, performances have been up in the last three or four games, so maybe they'll carry that on and win at Pittodrie for once and get that particular monkey off their back. As long as they don't make any schloppy mistakes, then they'll be fine.

Some cunt is going to get a doing off us at Pittodrie soon. Hope its these Ayrshire bastards, who have certainly given us a few pastings at their place in recent years

Plus I'll get bragging rights for a few days down here ;D

I've got a good feeling it could be, Al. Really do think we'll win on Saturday, 2-0. (ok, not a doing, but same difference as 4-2, aint it?)

PITTODRIE wide boys Sone Aluko and Charlie Mulgrew are set for key roles in Saturday’s SPL home clash with Kilmarnock.

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood was criticised for going with a less attack-minded line-up in the victory at Falkirk, where he started with wing-king Aluko on the bench.

But there is no chance of him adopting a cautious approach when Killie come north.

“I will never put a side out to play like that at Pittodrie,†said Calderwood.

“I believe when you are at home you have an extra responsibility to go all out for a win.â€

Mulgrew was banned for the Bairns’ match but was also on the bench when the Dons drew 1-1 with Hearts at Tynecastle last weekend.

Calderwood admitted that was because he felt players with better defensive qualities would give them more hope of recording the results they needed on their travels to haul themselves up the SPL.

Calderwood said: “We got four points from the two away games, so the plan worked fine.

“Leaving Charlie out was a difficult call because we all know how dangerous he can be going forward.

“But he and Sone are still prone to making the odd mistake when it comes to the defensive stuff.

“You can’t take as many risks away from home and the results show we were right to go with the teams we did.

“I would never even consider being as cautious at Pittodrie though.

“If I we did it would be certain to end up a stalemate and we would get jeered off the pitch.

“It would suit most of our opponents because the majority come to Pittodrie to sit in and hope to hit us on the break.

“It’s all about giving ourselves a platform to try to win every game.

“That could mean being more wary in some of our away matches.â€

Calderwood was deciding today if winger Jamie Smith, who has a calf muscle injury, will be fit to play at the weekend.

Think this is a game we have to win. Win it and we are back in the fight for 3rd despite a poor start and it will boost players confidence. Lose and we are dragged back into bottom couple of places with a long depressing winter ahead.

If we have serious ambitions about being best of the rest (still say that aimming for 3rd as an ambition is a bit of joke) then we really cannot afford to lose again until 22nd November when we play Huns.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/914457

dons warned to stay focused if early goal proves elusive

Patience will be the key to a first home win of the season for Aberdeen tomorrow, according to Jimmy Calderwood.

The Dons manager’s wait for a Pittodrie victory will run into November but Calderwood is confident an end is in sight to the run of miserable home results.

Having watched Kilmarnock lose 3-1 in the League Cup to Celtic on Wednesday, Calderwood expects a resilient Killie side to travel north tomorrow. A tight affair is expected and the manager has warned his players not to lose heart if an early goal does not materialise.

He said: “It will be tough as Kilmarnock will make it difficult for us and the one thing we will have to be is patient.

“I was amazed at the first goal Kilmarnock lost as they have a lot of height in the side. I don’t think their manager Jim Jefferies will be too happy with that one. With all due respect to Kilmarnock, I think Saturday is all about what we do. The football ability is coming back into the team and the players are playing with more confidence.

“Jim has a lot of experienced players in his squad. Kilmarnock are difficult to play against as they are organised and they have some dangerous attacking players, but it’s about what we do when we have the ball.â€

The scars of the League Cup exit at Kilmarnock on September 24 are still healing at Pittodrie and the Dons manager is looking for a much improved defensive display than what he saw in the 4-2 defeat at Rugby Park.

He said: “I had the feeling every time we went up the park in the cup tie we would score, but Kilmarnock did score every time they attacked us in the first half.

“Our defending was ridiculous that night. It was schoolboy stuff and if we do that again we will get punished.

“Players have to get on the ball, play at pace and create chances in the opposition half. There is every chance we could be back in the top six if results go our way on Saturday and right now I would settle for that following the criticism we have had this season.â€

The improved defensive displays in the last two matches, from which four points have been amassed, have been helped by the return from injury of Andy Considine. The Dons defender has impressed in the games at Falkirk and Hearts following a lengthy chat with his manager.

Calderwood said: “Andy has gone through a difficult phase just like Zander Diamond did a couple of seasons ago. For some reason everything he touched led to a penalty or a goal and Andy has had a couple of those games as well.

“Andy and Zander have both proved themselves against the best in Europe but concentration levels have to be there even when you are tired. I keep telling players doing the simple thing is the hardest.â€

Goalkeeper Bertrand Bossu and forward Jamie Smith will miss the game due to injury but Calderwood hopes to have both players fit for next weekend’s match at Dundee United.