Forfar v Forres Mechanics, R4, 19:45

St Johnstone v Rangers, R4, 20:05

Wednesday, 21 January 2009

Inverurie Locos v Motherwell, R4, 19:45

Reds draw East Fife at home in the Scottish cup

Dons aim is unhappy return for Crawford

By Michael Gannon

Published: 12/01/2009

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood wants to make Steve Crawford’s return to Pittodrie an unhappy one after the Dons were paired with East Fife in the fifth round of the Scottish Cup.

The Dons were pushed all the way by Alloa Athletic on Saturday but sealed their place after a scrappy 2-1 win at Recreation Park.

The reward is a home tie against the Fifers and Calderwood expects another close game when Dave Baikie brings his team north.

He said: “With all due respect to East Fife, a home draw against a lower league team was the best we could have hoped for in the draw but, as we saw on Saturday, games against lower league teams are always dangerous.

“It is a great draw for Stevie and I am sure he will want to come back to Pittodrie and do well against his former club.

“We will have to do our homework on them.â€

Lee Miller, the scorer of Aberdeen’s first goal on Saturday, admitted he was relieved to avoid Celtic or Rangers.

The 25-year-old said: “You always want to avoid the Old Firm. You would like to see them drawn together at some stage and maybe get one of them in the latter stages.

“If you want to win the cup you will probably have to beat one of them at some point.â€

Miller was not satisfied despite firing the Dons into the fifth round of the cup and picking up the SPL player of the month award for December.

The forward was disappointed with his performance in Saturday's 2-1 cup victory at Alloa, particularly because Scotland coach Steven Pressley was in the stands at Recreation Park.

Miller impressed in Scotland's friendly against Argentina and if he maintains his current form should be part of national coach George Burley's squad for the World Cup qualifier against Holland in Amsterdam in March.

Miller's recent displays have not gone unnoticed, but despite some reports yesterday linking him to Rangers and Leeds United, Aberdeen have not received any enquiries about the attacker and Miller is happy at Pittodrie.

Miller grabbed an early lead for the Dons but Aberdeen allowed the Wasps back in the match when Miller conceded a penalty.

It took a second-half goal from Sone Aluko to ensure progress.

Miller said: “I was grateful to score because it at least made up for my performance. I was disappointed with the way I played because I set myself high standards and you want to reach them every week. My touch was not there and it was one of those days when not much went right.

“I know Steven Pressley was in the crowd but I do not think I did myself justice. I can play much better.â€

Miller was not the only one not at the races as Aberdeen toiled to overcome the stubborn Second Division side in horrendous weather conditions.

He said: “A few of the players were not at their best, but we managed to grind out the result.

“Alloa made it difficult for us. The conditions were not the best but they were the same for both teams. The artificial pitch was difficult to play on, but fair play to Alloa, they set their stall out and passed the ball well and a lot of credit has to go to them.

“I thought the penalty was harsh, that kind of thing happens all the time. It got them back into it but they probably deserved it because they created a few chances. We were not at the races but we are in the next round.â€

The 25-year-old said: “You always want to avoid the Old Firm. You would like to see them drawn together at some stage and maybe get one of them in the latter stages.

“If you want to win the cup you will probably have to beat one of them at some point.â€

Unless you get AFC after we beat one of them - then we'll just roll over for anyone.

Guest swaddon

Now why would you want that?! We've done well against the Huns while he's been there ;)  :thumbsup:

Maybe so, but they'd have to fork out compensation if he's under contract, and shell out more money for a new manager, unless they go for McCoist or Souness. Every little helps on the road to the huns' bankruptcy.

Maybe so, but they'd have to fork out compensation if he's under contract, and shell out more money for a new manager, unless they go for McCoist or Souness. Every little helps on the road to the huns' bankruptcy.

Could also argue, whilst he's been at stybrox, he's spent millions on useless players. So the longer he's there, the more he costs them ;)

Killie v Ayr replay to be live on Sky, Thur 22nd :thumbsup:

Fuck! That's a blockbuster of a match to showcase Scottish Fitba. Two fantastic, entertaining teams with charismatic managers from Scotland's stunning and romantic backdrop of Kilmarnock. It's a dead-cert to be a full-house at Rugby Park yet again as the passionate home fans attempt to overcome their gigantic opposition.

Assuming we win the Eats Fife game (its on Feb 7 BTW) I think the next round will be March 7. How fucked off am I to find my wife has organised a day/night at a friends. We better not get a great away draw for that one. Another boring as shit home tie will do, or a Sunday game  :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...