Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

See You Jimmy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't think it was reasonable to expect us to beat Dundee United and QotS last season?

Reasonable but not completely amazing we lost.

They got there by beating everyone else they'd came up against so they had as much right to be there as we did.

It was more the manner in which we conceded those games that upset me.

There's nothing wrong with the article.  Many fans who have been sitting on the JC fence for a long time are starting to turn, so in that sense the article is spot on.

Articles like this are designed to challenge him and it's up to Calderwood to deal with this kind of pressure in the same way he continuously tells the media that the players have to live up to our expectations.  These expectations may be high, but quite frankly, that's just tough.  He knew what he was getting into when he took over.

Jimmy seems a tough kind of guy and I'm sure he'll brush it off, but he really does need to read between the lines.  The fans are beginning to turn.  Of that there can be no argument.

squad = pish, resources = d*ck all.

2 or 3 cup finals = having a laugh.

squad = similar or better pish than most other spl sides

resources - more than most

0 cup finals in 8 years = someone's having a laugh

If we really are meant to believe that no cup finals in 8 years, 2 cup semis in the same period and no cup of any kind in 14 years (never mind no Scots Cup in 19) is acceptable I do really wonder what the fucking point in afc is anymore

Well lads and lasses, it's been a long while since I posted on here although I have been using the online chat regularly.

This article for me was written by a fan. A very pissed off one at that. I was very surprised and very happy to see what had been printed as it totally echoes what I have been thinking for a long time.

Yes, JC has given us some great highs. I went on three European trips last season thanks to him and the team and for that I am eternally grateful.

However, his continual spouting of pish in the papers really gets on my nips. His baffling team selections and tactics depress me, and the idea of him being attack minded just about makes me piss my pants.

The truth is that the football he puts out on show is driving people away. Other than Alex Miller, I have never heard of a more disliked manager in charge of AFC. If I had been boss, he would have been sacked after the Queens PARK debacle (which in turn mught have had me miss the Euro trips..... ;) ) let alone the QoS semi....

Anyway, just my tuppence worth from afar.

Going forward...........Darren Ferguson, Neale Cooper or Lee Richardson for me (in that order)  :thumbsup:

Well lads and lasses, it's been a long while since I posted on here although I have been using the online chat regularly.

This article for me was written by a fan. A very pissed off one at that. I was very surprised and very happy to see what had been printed as it totally echoes what I have been thinking for a long time.

Yes, JC has given us some great highs. I went on three European trips last season thanks to him and the team and for that I am eternally grateful.

However, his continual spouting of pish in the papers really gets on my nips. His baffling team selections and tactics depress me, and the idea of him being attack minded just about makes me piss my pants.

The truth is that the football he puts out on show is driving people away. Other than Alex Miller, I have never heard of a more disliked manager in charge of AFC. If I had been boss, he would have been sacked after the Queens PARK debacle (which in turn mught have had me miss the Euro trips..... ;) ) let alone the QoS semi....

Going forward...........Darren Ferguson, Neale Cooper or Lee Richardson for me (in that order)  :thumbsup:

Spot on. The longer Calderwood stays it seems, the more stagnated we will become. We've had the same cycle of shite for the best part of a year now, dotting between great results (Copenhagen), embarrassing results (QotS), and, for the most part, sub-standard, un-ambitous pish. The only thing that will change is that the attendances will drop and supporters will become more and more dissillusioned.

Calderwoods ability to build a squad is there for all too see, and it's not worth having him around any longer for. Yes he got us out of the shit, and yes he achieved a good wee run in Europe last year. But it seems that we've reached the plateau of his managerial abilities. I can't see things getting any better while he's still in charge.

All good shouts for me - I would be happy with any of them.

Darren and Lee are very inexperienced managers.  If either is going to become manager of Aberdeen, I'd prefer it to be later in their careers.

Somebody with experience and a proven track record working on a limited budget would do for me.

Calderwood is going nowhere anyway, for just now...

squad = similar or better pish than most other spl sides

resources - more than most

0 cup finals in 8 years = someone's having a laugh

If we really are meant to believe that no cup finals in 8 years, 2 cup semis in the same period and no cup of any kind in 14 years (never mind no Scots Cup in 19) is acceptable I do really wonder what the fucking point in afc is anymore

I keep reading this p*sh about more resources than most - can we have some actual proof? I know we sold some players, and Wright aside, where has it all gone? Is that the resource you are all bleating about.

And let's get one HUGE misconception out of the way. You don't get to Cup Finals based on Reputation and Expectation, I.E. We don't get to cup finals in 8 years BECAUSE we are AFC (That's just bollo(ks) - you get to a cup final based on performance. We are sadly lacking in the performance part - and have been for years, it isn't going to change without some investment from No. One Fan Stewart Milne.

You even have the proof - two very win-able semis last year - performance lacking cos we have pish players and let all our good players bugger off too easily.

I keep reading this p*sh about more resources than most - can we have some actual proof? I know we sold some players, and Wright aside, where has it all gone? Is that the resource you are all bleating about.

And let's get one HUGE misconception out of the way. You don't get to Cup Finals based on Reputation and Expectation, I.E. We don't get to cup finals in 8 years BECAUSE we are AFC (That's just bollo(ks) - you get to a cup final based on performance. We are sadly lacking in the performance part - and have been for years, it isn't going to change without some investment from No. One Fan Stewart Milne.

You even have the proof - two very win-able semis last year - performance lacking cos we have pish players and let all our good players bugger off too easily.

Neither of which were down to Stewart Milne, I think you'll find.

Guest fatshaft

The players think a lot of JC- his training is said to be great there's no doubt the likes of Aluko and Mulgrew wouldn't have signed if he hadn't been at the club.

The players think a lot of Nicholl apparently, he's said to be very good with the players. Havn;t heard the same about JC.

Guest fatshaft

Dons fans seem to have 2 memories, "The glory days" and "The whoever isn't giving us more glory days".

Aye, according to the daily record! Yet how often do you actually hear ANYONE going on about bringing back league ttiles like we had under Fergie? All we want is a decent team, playing decent football, challenging for Europe, and on the coat tails of the ugly sisters, and the odd cup final and piece of silverware.  Tango is now on season 4, hasn't delvered any of that, and has started worse than ever. That is why so many want him out.

Guest fatshaft

Could you educate me as to who sold Russell Anderson, Michael Hart, Chris Clarke?

I thought Milne owned the club????

Which of those three wanted to stay? So you could say they sold themselves, as did Nicholson & Lovell.

Could you educate me as to who sold Russell Anderson, Michael Hart, Chris Clarke?

I thought Milne owned the club????

Ok, so the team we sent out to play Queen of the South, player for player, was weaker than the opposition? You're tripping if you don't think that defeat was down to those players and that management team. Milne (well, the club) also paid for guys like Jackie McNamara and Barry Nicholson and Scott Severin and Lee Miller who are/were on handsome wages, far, far more than the Queen of the South players that day. You can not seriously suggest that side we fielded failed because of Stewart Milne. There was more than enough "quality" to win that game.

Also, Calderwood decided not to use a big enough part of his budget to keep Hart who only wanted parity with Jamie Smith, Lee Miller and Scott Severin. So that is at least in part, down to the manager as well as Milne as JC is the one who decides how the budget is spent. Chris Clark wanted to leave the city of Aberdeen because of personal problems, and again, if you honestly think that a club who is so many millions in debt is going to turn down an offer of £1m for a player then again, you are tripping.

Bigger attendances than all except the OF, Hearts and Hibs (and more than the edinburgh sides until JC came along)

Bigger sponsorship deals and more corporate hospitality

All result in bigger wages and meant we have spent money in recent years while everyone else, bar hearts, have barely spent a cent.

And let's get one HUGE misconception out of the way. You don't get to Cup Finals based on Reputation and Expectation, I.E. We don't get to cup finals in 8 years BECAUSE we are AFC (That's just bollo(ks) - you get to a cup final based on performance.

True.  However given that almost every other team in the SPL (and many 1st division sides) have been in cup finals since we were last there would suggest that even by the law of averages we should have had one ourselves by now.

Equally this is our worst run in the cups since before the war, so while our reputation doesn't guarantee anything it would seem that we are seriously under performing and have been for 15years.  I would say that this is not good enough

We are sadly lacking in the performance part - and have been for years, it isn't going to change without some investment from No. One Fan Stewart Milne.

We are lacking in the performance part but we have had the funds that should have ensured we have the manager and players to perform better that we are. 

No there we have proof that there are serious questions over JC and the players he has amassed.

Calderwood has lost the fans. Sooner rather than later that will cost him his job at a club which cannot afford to ignore them.

Whether he limps on for three games or three months, he is a dead man walking at Aberdeen. Privately he knows it and so do senior figures at Pittodrie. Enough of the support has made up its mind about him and the coming weeks will see dwindling attendances and a widespread desire for change. Home games will feel as though they are taking place in a half-empty morgue. Another couple of defeats and demonstrations are likely. The point will be reached at which chairman Stewart Milne and his board of directors will be forced to act out of financial necessity.

Factual. Accurate. Uncontestable. Thank you Michael Grant, for telling it like it is.

If Milne's fifth manager starts failing, then some might look beyond the manager, but all four have been thoroughly and spectacularly incapable.

Which of those three wanted to stay? So you could say they sold themselves, as did Nicholson & Lovell.

Russell "I want to finish my career at Aberdeen" Anderson, and giving his sign-on fee back to AFC.

Actions of a man desperate to leave AFC the season he could lead the club in Europe.

:hammer:

Bigger attendances than all except the OF, Hearts and Hibs (and more than the edinburgh sides until JC came along)

Bigger sponsorship deals and more corporate hospitality

Barely sevices the debt and opening the stadium

All result in bigger wages and meant we have spent money in recent years while everyone else, bar hearts, have barely spent a cent.

Really? Seriously, you believe that? Hibs just bought back Riordan, bought bamba and a few others, Untied spent in the summer, Caley spent money, Well bought too - so I don't think we are the "streets" ahead some seem to think we are.

True.  However given that almost every other team in the SPL (and many 1st division sides) have been in cup finals since we were last there would suggest that even by the law of averages we should have had one ourselves by now.

Sadly probability doesn't work like that. You are trying to say everything is 50/50 - it either happens or it doesn't.

If we were drawing straws to get to a final - yes we may have been in one sooner - but it doesn't work like that in the real world - we actually have to play football to qualify for the final.

Equally this is our worst run in the cups since before the war, so while our reputation doesn't guarantee anything it would seem that we are seriously under performing and have been for 15years.  I would say that this is not good enough

We are lacking in the performance part but we have had the funds that should have ensured we have the manager and players to perform better that we are. 

And the last season we got into two cup finals, where did we finish in the league?

It's the old expectation thing again - you seem to expect that AFC - if funded and managed properly will set the heather alight and be challenging for the league and 2 cups, with a decent european run.

Without serious money from Wiggy to improve the squad and the product on show it isn't going to happen.

Even with a bit of investment from him used correctly is unlikely to yield the results you want.

No there we have proof that there are serious questions over JC and the players he has amassed.

As has been said on here before, JC has bought the best he can for peanuts and a can of sh*t - if Wiggy would give him a decent sum - we could improve - rather than trying to stay mediocre with less and less resources.