Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Brian Kerr - worth a look?

Would be a good signing given our bare squad. Bonus is that he wouldn't require a trial and should be fit.

20 players plus a number of young players coming through isn't a bare squad.

For the first time in a while, we've nearly got 2 players for every position (youngsters in brackets).

GK - Langfield, Bossu (Bateman)

RB - Foster, Hodgkiss

CB - Diamond, Considine, Mair (Crawford)

LB - Mulgrew, S. Smith

RM - J. Smith, Young

CM - Kerr, McDonald, Duff, Severin (Pawlett)

LM - Aluko, De Visscher

FW - Mackie, Miller, Wright, Maguire (Paton)

I would still like to see an experienced centre-half brought in, but Severin's played there and as many suspect will probably feature there a lot more than in centre midfield.  If that is the case, another central midfielder would be good, but we've got other players who can do a job there if required.  Are they better than Kerr?  God knows, but I don't think we need Kerr to be honest.

RB - Foster, Hodgkiss

LB - Mulgrew, S. Smith

RM - J. Smith, Young

LM - Aluko, De Visscher

Fair point. Didn't realise we were that well covered.

Yeah, I think in central midfield we've got a good variety of defensive and attack minded players with Kerr, McDonald, Severin and Duff.  Smith, Young and Aluko can also play there in behind the front two.

If Jimmy somehow manages to bring in an experienced central defender, I'll be delighted.  If it doesn't happen though, then I'll not be overly bothered as I still feel we've got a good enough squad to secure third place and, possibly, push for second.  :thumbsup:

For the first time in a while, we've nearly got 2 players for every position (youngsters in brackets).

RB - Foster, Hodgkiss

LB - Mulgrew, S. Smith

RM - J. Smith, Young

LM - Aluko, De Visscher

I would still like to see an experienced centre-half brought in, but Severin's played there and as many suspect will probably feature there a lot more than in centre midfield.  If that is the case, another central midfielder would be good, but we've got other players who can do a job there if required.  Are they better than Kerr?  God knows, but I don't think we need Kerr to be honest.

Pawlett's a winger....though we should have had Strachan in brackets in the CM collumn  :hammer:

Pawlett's a winger....though we should have had Strachan in brackets in the CM collumn  :hammer:

Wasn't sure where he played to be honest, but that wasn't really the point, was just pointing out the fact that we've got a good few players in the first team.  :thumbsup:

Don't really agree we have squad depth with many youngsters plus I think Jimmy sees Seve as a central defender this year. A few key injuries and we are relying on Foster, Duff, Young etc who are role players at best and not first team regulars. Also don't really see Duff as a central midfielder. The signing of Brian Kerr would give us strength, depth, and experience in the centre of the park, an area we've been weak for a very long time.

Don't really agree we have squad depth with many youngsters plus I think Jimmy sees Seve as a central defender this year. A few key injuries and we are relying on Foster, Duff, Young etc who are role players at best and not first team regulars. Also don't really see Duff as a central midfielder. The signing of Brian Kerr would give us strength, depth, and experience in the centre of the park, an area we've been weak for a very long time.

::)

20+ players isn't enough for a team as skint as us?

RB - Foster, Hodgkiss

CB - Diamond, Considine, Mair, Severin (Crawford)

LB - Mulgrew, S. Smith

RM - J. Smith, Young (Pawlett)

CM - Kerr, McDonald, Duff

LM - Aluko, De Visscher

Not when you are counting on Bateman, Hodgekiss, Crawford, Smith, Pawlett, and Paton, non of whom have played a 1st team game for us and are under 20. We are left with 19 players - Seve, Jamie Smith are injury prone, 2 are GKs, and XX (insert number) are pish. Brian Kerr would be a welcome addition.

To be fair mate is that not the role of a 'role' player so to speak? To fill in until the regular starter is back to fitness and their fairly decent performances (because it's been so long since they last played you've forgotten how pish they are) have nosedived.

Not when you are counting on Bateman, Hodgekiss, Crawford, Smith, Pawlett, and Paton, non of whom have played a 1st team game for us and are under 20. We are left with 19 players - Seve, Jamie Smith are injury prone, 2 are GKs, and XX (insert number) are pish. Brian Kerr would be a welcome addition.

If they're good enough, they're old enough.  We've as much players in our squad as we can afford to pay at the moment.  Maybe 1 or 2 short, but the squad we've got is looking good.  You're just a miserable c*nt and can't take any positives from what JC does.  :thumbsup:;)

Ha ha, critical yes, but definitely not a miserable c*nt. I could complain about JC, not getting the 10 new signings again, not getting the 3 signings we were told just a few days ago, but I'm not. The start to the season is promising, the signings made look good, and the shakey defense looks like it has improved.

I feel our problem of the last few years has been a small squad and we have that again. We sell/release more players than we add. It has happened year after year. Less than 20 players with experience this year. We'll naturally get to the injuries and have to rely on young players or squad players to become key players when that is not their function. A signing like Kerr is free, can't be that expensive, and would be worth the investment in my opinion.

I may be wrong but since he's been released does this mean the window does not apply to him. As a free agent he could come on a week trial for example?

True. I think that's how Jim Hamilton managed to move to Dunfermline. His contract got ripped up and he was effectively an unemployed footballer, so the Pars signed him on a trainee wage. Would still have been on more than Scott Booth was when he returned, lol

RB - Foster, Hodgkiss

LB - Mulgrew, S. Smith

RM - J. Smith, Young

LM - Aluko, De Visscher

Looks a good squad.

Surely on track for 3rd this year.