Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Bebo signs 3 year deal

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/754765

Maguire wants to be Lee’s partner

By Charlie Allanin Holland

Published: 25/07/2008

HITMAN: Chris Maguire in action against DZC in Holland.

More Pictures

CHRIS Maguire hopes his Holland hat-trick has given him the edge over Darren Mackie in the battle to be Lee Miller’s strike partner in the new season.

Maguire’s performance was the highlight of Aberdeen’s 5-0 win over lower league DZC 68 in the opening match of their pre-season tour of Holland.

The 19-year-old is delighted with his first senior hat-trick and the timing of it.

“Lee and I played a lot last season, so we know each other’s game,†said Maguire.

“We worked well together last night. Lee knocked a ball on for me to score and I repaid him by providing the pass that set him up for his goal.

“I would love it if we got the chance to continue together once the season starts.

“I accept I’m only 19 and there are older guys in the squad who will want to partner Lee as well.

“But I feel I would gain from the experience if I got the job week in, week out.

“I want to play fewer reserve games and spend less time on the bench.

“It will be tough because there are going to be four main strikers and only two places up for grabs.

“I will be going all out to show the manager that I am ready to take one of those slots.

“Getting my first hat-trick at first team level will help.

“When I played in the reserves I scored twice a few times but could never get the third goal.

“I am pleased to finally hit a hat-trick and don’t care that it’s only a pre-season friendly.

“Scoring goals is what keeps strikers in teams and I’m hoping there are a few more to come from me here in Holland.â€

Maguire is maturing fast and highlighted that by accepting manager Jimmy Calderwood’s criticism that he should have added to his hat-trick against DZC.

Maguire said: “There are people out there who think I’m jack the lad and think I know everything.

“That certainly isn’t the case. I know I’m a long way off the standard where I can expect to be a first choice at Pittodrie.

“I listen to every bit of criticism and praise I get from the manager and coaching staff because I enjoy learning every day.

“It’s important I keep doing that, in training and in games.

“I appreciate when any flaws have been identified so I can work on them.â€

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic